“Good Tex-Mex in Memphis”

Frida's Restaurante Mexicana
Ranked #846 of 1,467 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Mexican
Brenham, Tx
“Good Tex-Mex in Memphis”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Coming from Texas I was surprised when my dsughter suggested we eat here for Cinco de Mayo on a recent visit. But it was quite good. The margarita was good and the Tecate cold! Reps from Jose Cuervo were handing our sunglasses, t-shirts and shot glass necklaces to add to the fun. If you like Tex-Mex, stop here and enjoy the food. I know I will come back.

• Visited May 2013

Memphis, Tennessee
“Best Mexican Restaurant in Memphis area”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had just about given up on finding good Mexican food in the Memphis area when someone at work suggested Frida's. We went there for lunch today and were very impressed. They are getting ready for Cinco de Mayo tomorrow, so there were flags and banners everywhere. Great atmosphere. They have indoor and outdoor seating, both are good. We sat inside and were quickly greeted by our server. Chips and salsa arrived within minutes, Excellent salsa...just the rioght blend of tomato, onion, cilantro, etc. A little heat that hits you later. Chips were fresh and warm. My wife ordered fajitas and said it was really good. Portions were large...she only ate about 1/2 and will likely have the rest for lunch tomorrow. I had the Fridas Nachos. Loaded with ground beef, chicken, beans etc. I also ate about 1/2. It was very good. Server was very attending, refilled drinks at just the right time, got a couple more tortillas when my wife needed them. We will certainly go back. Living outside of Memphis, it is a bit out of our way, but worth it. Its also good to know that you are supporting a mid-town business. They have plenty of parking and the building is very neat and well decorated. You should definitely give it a try! Our lunch cost $15 per person. Well worth it.

• Visited May 2013
“Ordinary food, friendly staff”
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

The food was mundane. Nothing special or unique. The same gummy refried beans, frozen guacamole, shredded lettuce, flour tortillas one can get anywhere. Same ole same ole.
The wait staff was super friendly , attentive, cordial.
I had hoped for more in that the theme was around Frida Kahlo, an interesting complicated artist married to a complicated, albeit communist, Diego Rivera , but that was the end of the magic: Her portraits on the walls.

1 Thank Davidson H
“Below Average at best Mexican.”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I must say I have been here several times since the doors opened and the one consistent thing is the decor, wonderful job. The food however is bland and mediocre and does not live up to the hype. Plain beans out of a can, cause I sure cant tell they are beans and they have no flavor. Horrible service at the bar. Couldn't even have a conversation the mariachi band was so loud one time I was there. Just remember if you go with a group they will add gratuity and it will not show up on your check and they will not tell you about it, so happy double tipping because of their being sly and not being honest. Oh and it's basically a fancy building with happy Mexican food. Many other places to get great Mexican/Tex Mex in this city.

1 Thank Goodfoodduder
Ames, Iowa
“Good Memphis Mexican food”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Very nice surprise around the corner from our rental condo. Very good food and good value. Great -- and HUGE -- margaritas. Our Vegan friend loved the multiple vegetarian selections, too.

Been to Frida's Restaurante Mexicana? Share your experiences!