“They must think people in the mid-south don't know any better”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Grawemeyer's

Grawemeyer's
Ranked #777 of 1,437 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: German, American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: German-American restaurant and bar located at the Historic Pullman Hotel Building in the South Main District of Downtown Memphis. Featuring an extensive selection of fine wines and liquor as well as premium German and American craft beers, We pride ourselves on delivering a unique dining experience accompanied by great atmosphere and ambiance in a retro environment. Grawemeyers is also the proud home of the Haunted Piano, played weekly by pianist/vocalist Evan Farris on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
San Antonio, Texas
“They must think people in the mid-south don't know any better”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Let me first qualify my review by letting you know...I've eaten A LOT of German food both in America, Germany, and Austria. I'm not bragging, but you should know that I know what good German food tastes like, and Grawemeyer's doesn't. I find it hard to believe this place has been around since 1986. 27 years and no one has called them out for serving bad German food? We had a reservation for 8pm, but stood around for 5 minutes before the restaurant's one server caught sight of us in his periphery. He seated us and offered us something to drink, and feigned disappointment when we only ordered ice water. (sorry dude, we're on call in 3 hours) It was another full five minutes before we got ice water, and that was only when the busy server walked by our table and went outside for a few minutes and then realized as he came in, he had forgotten about us. We ordered a pretzel...it was served HOT with mustard and aioli, but had a strange consistency to it. Can't figure that one out. My husband ordered German Sausage with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes and a side of red cabbage. The sausage was sliced and appeared to be nothing more than Hillshire Farms. The red cabbage was NOT what I've ever been served in a German restaurant before. It was simply steamed purple cabbage. There was no treatment to the cabbage to make it the sweet and acidic yumminess that it should've been. I ordered the schnitzel which was a strange cut of pork. When I say strange, the texture was really off. It was not a high quality of pork beaten until tender and fried to a juicy finish. It was served over their version of cheese spaetzle, which was nothing more than egg noodles mixed with gruyere. Seriously? The only saving grace of the dish was the red wine sauce (which is typically a gravy) mixed with plenty of mustard seeds. Although not the right consistency, it gave the dish enough flavor to get through 1/3 of it. I enjoyed sopping it up with the mushrooms atop the lackluster schnitzel. I also ordered a side of German potato salad, which was clearly reheated as it was the dryest German potato salad to ever cross my lips. They could've served a side of sawdust with bits of bacon and I wouldn't have known the difference. The only thing German about this place is the red and yellow walls with the black trim.

Web O, Owner at Grawemeyer's, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
As you know, Grawemeyer's is a restaurant with authentic FAMILY recipes, considering we are a hybrid cross with american foods, it will tend to be a little different. Your opinion and time is valued, and we hope to see you in the future.

“There is absolutely no reason to eat here!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I don’t typically write bad reviews. I truly felt compelled to add my opinion after seeing the other two reviews for this restaurant. I’m not sure if I went to the same restaurant as the other two reviewers previous to me. This place was truly awful on two separate occasions. I had an overpriced salad the first time and a meager sandwich the second time. The food was overpriced and not well prepared. I went back after the first bad experience because they had just opened and I wanted to give them a chance to get it together. Unfortunately, they still offer overly simple, uninspired food that any middle school kid with access to a poorly stocked refrigerator could assemble. I would hate for a visitor to to eat at this place and think it typical of Memphis.

On the upside, the interior of the restaurant is actually beautiful and obviously lovingly restored by someone who appreciates the historic architecture of the area. Great job on the building! That attention to detail and passion is clearly lacking from the restaurant. The real irony is that this owner is also associated with the nearby Rizzo’s, one of the very best restaurants in the neighborhood.

I might go back and try it once more. My understanding is that the owners are not doing real well and are revamping the menu significantly.

• Visited March 2012
Web O, Owner at Grawemeyer's, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We are very sorry about your experience. We have revamped the menu and as you know as a new business we have to work out some quirks. We hope that you come back and see us in the future.
“Great for the vegetarian or vegan diner.”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'm vegan and it is sometimes hard to find restaurants that can accommodate my dietary requirements. Grawemeyer's has a great black bean burger, and the chef can modify almost anything on the menu, or create something from scratch that is vegetarian or vegan. Highly recommend!

• Visited September 2012
Web O, Owner at Grawemeyer's, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and we really appreciate your response! If you haven't been back to our restaurant lately, we have many more Vegan options for your and yours to try. We hope to see you in the future, thanks for visiting our establishment!
Hong Kong, China
“Lovely neighborhood eatery.”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is my go to place when lunching w/ friends for the food & the atmosphere. It is located one block south of the National Civil Rights Museum, across from the Midtown Bike Shop, few doors north of the Arcade. They are open every day which isn't the case with many places in the neighborhood. There is parking on Main or side streets.

I enjoy the background music so much that sometimes I go there just for a cup of coffee and people watching. They are vegan/vegetarian friendly (ask for the substitutions). I have enjoyed several salads and a yummy black bean burger. I have yet to try the drinks at the bar.

Something that stands out is that even the waiters seem to love the neighborhood. They easily give directions or share historical information regarding the restaurant and the area. It feels like visiting family.

There is live music on the weekends and a smaller back room if needed. It smells like baked goods are done on site.

It is right on the trolley line. If you attend the Memphis Farmers Market this is a three minute walk...which is what I do.

They have a FaceBook page that gives lots of info. "Grawemeyer's - simple elegance --- when you walk in, you suddenly feel you have gone back in time to a place where you are valued..." I am happy to have found this place.

• Visited August 2012