“Chez Philippe Afternoon Tea "FABULOUS"”
Review of Chez Philippe

Chez Philippe
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Philippe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 1,497 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Second Street
Description: The only 4-star, 4-diamond restaurant in Memphis, Chez Philippe offers French cuisine in a fine dining atmosphere. Located inside the historic Peabody Hotel. Dinner and Afternoon Tea served.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our Sonrise Sisters Emmaus Reunion Group that normally meets at 7 a.m. Saturday mornings enjoyed a change of pace by celebrating one of our member's retirement by having a "tea party!" We were fortunate that we were the only ones with reservations for afternoon tea, so our own private room waited for us set for high tea. We had a wonderful time and left completely satisfied (if not stuffed) with the wonderful Republic tea (three of us chose Raspberry Quince), the finger sandwiches, the Devonshire cream, jam and apricot scone, and then the piece de resistance of desserts. I had to leave the carrot cake by its lonely self on the 3-tiered cake stand. All in all, a most memorable occasion with an excellent waiter who knew just when to be there and when to leave us alone! I highly recommend this version of high tea which is very similar to those I've had in Scotland, Victoria BC and England.

1  Thank MandMDen

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I must say the service is definitely off and apparently so is the management. Made reservations first for a Friday night. They called to inform it was Great Gatsby night and would only be a set menu at a set time. They said they would be glad to change reservations to another night and to just call back. When I called the number I received "in room dining" and the person didn't know about the Great Gatsby event and had to call me back. So when he did I asked him to cancel those reservations and made one for the following night so could get the typcial French experience. Had been looking forward to special dinner and the restaurant called to confirm reservation the day before. I called back and left voice mail to confirm
new date. On the day of dinner reservations we went to restaurant in the afternoon to make sure we knew where it was and looked at the 7-course meal menu options outside, and noticed it was same as on the website. We became really excited about menu. We arrived an hour early for drinks in the bar and even checked in with hostess. The restaurant was almost empty, which was surprising for a Saturday night. Nonetheless had good drinks in bar and checked in at time of reservation. When seated the waiter came and informed us there would only be a set menu, and it would be Swedish and not French. We only had one option--
chard or veal. Everything else was set. We asked about the tasting menu, and the waiter said sorry but wasn't available. When spoke to the manager he said "they tried to inform everyone about the menu" and I asked him to explain how. We were not told when they called to confirm our reservation, the menu was Just left chez phillipe bad experience listed outside the restaurant the
day of, and it was not on their website, nor were we told when we checked in. Needless to say we were disappointed. You would think a restaurant that you are planning to spend over 100$ a person would be more organized and certainly more friendly. I'm afraid not. I suggest you try somewhere else that you can depend on the quality of food and service.

7  Thank geauxsaintsfan
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I ate here 3 years ago but since I am coming back to stay at the Peabody hotel again I feel compelled write this review. Myself and date where dressed nice but at 24 years old I'm sure we didn't look like we had very much money. We were using a free dinner for 2 voucher we won at an auction for the meal. The food was great but the waiter treated us like 2 toothless hillbillies and was clearly unhappy about waiting on us. The table across from us spoke French and appeared to be wealthy which I am sure is what our waiter would have rather had. I ordered 2 glasses of wine and my partner ordered scotch. It look him at least 20 min to bring the scotch (which he did not apologize for) and it was the wrong kind which he could have cared less about probably just figured we wouldn't notice. After dinner he brought two bills, one showing what we owed minus the voucher and one showing what it cost beforehand. HE THEN POINTED TO THE BILL WITH THE PRICE BEFORE THE VOUCHER AND SAID "THIS BILL IS WHAT YOU TIP ON AND THE OTHER IS WHAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR." I was a bartender/waitress at this time and always did then and do now tip 30 percent. I have never in all my years of working in resturaunts told a guest how to tip me. I bet the French speaking couple across from me didn't get told how to tip. Yes I used a voucher but so what it shouldn't have made a difference. The waiter was rude the whole time and seemed one step away from rolling his eyes at us. So if you speak French or look wealthy you will most likely be treated like royalty at this resturaunt but if not good luck. Maybe things have changed in three years but I was so upset with the treatment last time I don't know if I will try it again. No, I am not writing this review to get anything free and if they offered I would say no. I just feel like writing it will make me feel better about trying this place again because it really is a nice resturaunt, I just don't want to be treated for no good reason like I am beneath their standard of clientel.

so always tip30 percent when I go out and am very nice to the people waiting on me.

6  Thank jwood1233
Reviewed April 8, 2013

You choose a set menu of 3, 5 or 7 courses. We opted for the 5 course meal with the wines. The food was remarkable and executed perfectly. The service just right. There for our every need but not hovering. The decor over the top decadent, but it all goes together for a romantic remarkable evening. It is really perfect to be a guest at the hotel after indulging in this menu.

1  Thank DarlingHarb0ur
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Chez Phillippe remains one of the most beautiful restuarants I have ever seen! The food and service match the decor. Definitely sit on the third tier of this restaurant. Order whatever the souflee of the day is for dessert - it's always sublime. I had dover sole, which was very good. My companions had the lamb (delicious) and the aged beef (also said to be yummy). The service is just right - present but not intrusive. And not overly familiar. The wine list is extensive and expensive, but with a number of fairly reasonable alternatives. I visited with the maitre d before the meal and selected our wines before our guests arrived. The wines were excellent. Save your pennies and spend them here. It is a special restaurant - and costs a special amount!

2  Thank AjaBlue

Been to Chez Philippe? Share your experiences!