“Small restaurant big flavor”
Review of McEwen's On Monroe

McEwen's On Monroe
Reserve with OpenTable
McEwen's On Monroe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 1,446 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2ND & MONROE
Transit: Main Street Trolley stop is less than half block from restaurant entrance. Trolley stop located at Monroe and Mid America Mall.
talihina
“Small restaurant big flavor”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Stopped in on march 27 ordered the blackened fish pasta for entree and it was delicious my son had the Chilean sea bass and claimed it the best he has had. For appetizers we had stone ground grits with shrimp and spring rolls with dipping sauce. Both these items were great and left me wanting more for dessert we had the Creme Brûlée which topped off our meal complete. I would recommend to all this is a class act place with good food.

Toledo, Ohio
“Great food - needs a better wine selection!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I took a fairly large group of business associates to McEwen's and, had it not been for its less than stellar selection of reasonably priced wines, I would have rated it "excellent."

Our group is meeting at the Peabody and McEwen's is only a block away. I tried to make a reservation on-line, but was told the next opening at a 7:30pm time slot was several days away so, I called. I was told that a single patron had rented the entire dining room that night, but they would accommodate my request by seating us at a quiet table in the bar. They did.

We ordered a double order of fried oysters as an appetizer (5 per order) with a variety of mixed drinks to start. The fried oysters were great, rivaling the best I've ever had in New Orleans. My martini was nicely prepared and served cold, but the portion relatively small. For entrées, the group ordered a mix of fish and steak, so I ordered a cabernet and a chardonnay, both about $30/bottle. I had steak, which was reasonably priced and nicely prepared, but bordered on being slightly tough. I tried both wines. The cabernet was acceptable but not as good as many in that price range. The chardonnay was on the sour side, which I found unusual for a chardonnay, and, I had to ask that it be iced during our dinner.

When the bill came, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it bore a red stamp saying that based on the number of guests joining me, the bill included the tip. (At many venues, you have to hunt or ask whether the bill includes a tip.)

All things considered, I'd go back to McEwen's and hope for a better selection of reasonably priced wines.

San Diego, California
“everyone should eat here”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Very different with a plate for everyone. Great place for a small party. Nice active bar. top service come as you are dress, all makes for a great evening meal. I don't think you can go wrong with the diverse menu.

1 Thank sandiegoretiredguy1
Upstate NY
“Simply Delicious”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Mid week, single, and at the bar. First, yes they have Tito's and great blue-cheese olives. Second, the House pour Merlot is great. third, the small plank steak with tater-tots and a wedge salad was just about perfect. So, in review, I enjoyed my simple meal. I'll be back! Dinner, without drinks or tip was $19

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank twostick
“Understated Elegance”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Arrived with reservations but still waited over 20 mins. Small dining room, refined menu, attentive service and delectable food. Knowing of our wait, upon being seated, we were immediately offered appetizers 'on the house'. This lovely gesture was indicative of our fine dining experience. Each entree in my party was better than the next! Just delicious but especially the 'shrimp & grit' appetizer!

• Visited March 2014