Review Highlights

Reviewed February 11, 2019
BluesBoy69
Stanley, United Kingdom
via mobile
Great place if I overlook rude bartender

Reviewed October 12, 2018
happyfamilyMacomb_Il
Macomb, Illinois

Recommended experiences in and around Memphis
from $22.50
from $73.00
from $58.99
from $30.00
More Info
All reviews rum boogie cover charge beale street both nights band playing wednesday night harmonica blues plantation musicians
Selected filters
Reviewed February 11, 2019 via mobile

There was a $5 cover charge on entry. Venue is adjacent to the Rum Boogie Cafe. Music was excellent. Nice atmosphere. Smoking allowed.

Date of experience: January 2019
2  Thank BluesBoy69
Reviewed October 12, 2018

Came in here with a few friends on Wednesday night. Live music was great. Ordered a few drinks, then bartender took credit card before giving me a total. From afar I could see numerous charges on the computer and I asked her about the total. She pointed to a small sign above that said "cover charge $4" and did not say one word, nor ever smiled. Not a big deal for a charge, but would've expected someone at the door, or at least mentioned it before taking my card and charging it or mentioning it when we placed order, that there was a fee to stay. What if I had only a specific amount for the drinks? Would they have asked for them back if unable to pay the cover charge? We went to the other side where there was amazing blues. Love some great harmonica playing! Great place, unwelcoming bartender. Again, not a big deal for paying for good music, but most places have signage outside that tells you what is expected indoors. This to me was nothing but a ploy to get people inside, then get your credit card to add more money without you knowing.

Date of experience: October 2018
3  Thank happyfamilyMacomb_Il
Reviewed May 22, 2018

The Blues Hall was our favorite club during a recent visit to Memphis. It has just the right amount of grit (it's not too cute or slick), the acoustics are fine, and the drinks are reasonably priced. Of course, the band playing has to be good, and we saw a couple that were excellent. The Plantation All Stars were smoking during a late afternoon-early evening show. See them wherever they are playing, if you can.

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank Matt S
Reviewed May 10, 2018 via mobile

You might be drawn into the bigger, louder Rum Boogie Cafe, but be sure to check out this, more intimate, hole in the wall bar that is right next door. The music was outstanding! Other performers will stop by and play with the band. The drinks were very overpriced, but that’s Beale Street. You’re here for the music.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed April 8, 2018

I was trying to show my best friend the cool parts of Memphis, but the weather and other factors were not really cooperating with my plans.

So at the end of the day, I tried out the Rum Boogie bar for some drinks and live music.
On that side, there were lots of seats right in front of the bar; but the music was...not for us.
Frankly, it sounded like classic rock with all the edge removed.

So we broke down and popped over to the other side, the Blues Hall Juke Joint, which is connected by a surprisingly sound-proof door.
We already paid the 5 buck cover, so we stood and listened to a heavy and loud blues band in the crowded joint
They were awesome.
They soon finished, and we were able to snag one of the tables before the next band played.

Cowboy Neal was up next, and he was freaking awesome.
The dude could really shred the guitar, and he jammed on some classic blues songs.
At two points, he even played the guitar with his teeth.

In general, it was a huge amount of fun.
The music is fantastic, the sound system is excellent, the drinks are strong, and the atmosphere is perfect for a blues joint.

Date of experience: April 2018