“Diverse and Fun”
Review of Shelby Farms Park

Shelby Farms Park
Ranked #8 of 159 things to do in Memphis
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We visited Shelby Farms Park (4500 acres!), in the middle of Shelby County, TN (Cities-Memphis, Germantown, Collierville) in the fall and spring while we were visiting our grand kids who live near Memphis. What a wonderful place, which has something for everyone! The park itself is divided into a number of venues for fitness, recreation and education. We partook of three while there: the Disc Golf course, the totally amazing children's WOODLAND DISCOVERY PLAYGROUND, and the Off-leash Dog Park. Our daughter in law runs regularly on the Greenline.

The playground offers so much in the way of physical fitness, skill building, interaction and discovery. I enjoyed it as much as the children. It's an innovative design and built in an environmentally sustainable manner with children's safety and enjoyment in mind. Check the website for photos and information. Great for all ages, although the 'rules' state 12 years and under.

The dog park was my favorite part, as it is a lush and varied 100 acres of meadows, hills, wood margins and ponds where not only your dog can revel but also humans can enjoy nature. It's a great place to bird watch in the early morning or evening. There appears to be a rough equestrian cross country course at the dog park too but I have not seen horses/riders there. Riding stables are one of the attractions offered at Shelby Park.

The park is open sunrise to sunset. The park entrance is free but for Memphis area residents there is a membership program which provides a number of special perks. Either way, if you are in the Memphis area, go!

1  Thank Grizingraz

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Good Friday and the kids were all have a GOOD time. What a place. Plenty of stuff for the kids to do, with parents everywhere. I have never seen a playground used as much, with so much for them to do, and teaching them hand/eye coordination at the same time. I am going back to Greenville and try to get something like this out at Warfield Point Park. I was impressed.

1  Thank Walley M
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I used to live over by the park, and some of my best memories of Memphis are times that I would visit the park to exercise or commune with nature. My daily commute was through the park and I got out several times to pet the baby Bison roaming and eating in the mornings when they would venture close to the enclosure walls. Now who could have a bad day after you were able to stop and pet a baby Bison before going about your day?

A++++
PS become a member and show your support for conserving the park and its grounds.

1  Thank Kenny L
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The trails are great for biking or jogging and the park is an awesome place to have picnics or play with your kids

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We visited on a gloomy day but still enjoyed our visit. The wildlife (different birds and the BISON) were so fun to see. The trails were great as well. Maybe next time we will stop by the stables.

1  Thank MiamiLuvtotravel