“Nice hotel, shame about the city”

Residence Inn Memphis Downtown
Ranked #14 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed January 29, 2007

I was in Memphis for a convention and booked the Residence over the convention hotels (Marriott Downtown and Wyndham Garden) because of the reviews here, even though it was farther from the convention center. Boy was I glad that I did. My colleagues who stayed at the other properties had nothing good to say about them, whereas I was very pleased with the Residence. The staff were friendly, I had a gorgeous room with a wonderfully comfortable bed. The breakfast was fresh and plentiful, with a good choice. The only problem I encountered was low water pressure in the shower, but it couldn't be helped and didn't spoil the visit. Although the hotel was full, I did not hear the other guests. I never made use of the full suite facilities - kitchen, living room, dining area - but it would be great for people on a budget wanting to cook for themselves. Although there are good restaurants nearby, I wish that the Residence had room service. Sometimes after a long day, you just want to eat (not cook!) in front of the TV rather than going out.
I had an excellent dinner at McEwan's next door (reservations needed), and the food at Encore in the Peabody Center was good too.
Unfortunately I was far less impressed by the city of Memphis than I was by the hotel. There were panhandlers on the corners, gangs roaming the streets at night, which even the heavy police presence did not help. If you want to stock up on tacky Elvis souvenirs, you have plenty of choice, but no other shopping was available within walking distance of the hotel except for the disappointing Peabody Center. I don't understand the attraction of Beale St. Glad I was there on business, would not return as a tourist.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Tiredandemotional

Reviewed January 29, 2007

It was my best friend's birthday and we met in Memphis for a pilgrimage to Graceland. We really enjoyed our stay at the Residence Inn. Although our room was a bit cramped and oddly arranged, my friend and her husband had a nice spacious suite on 13, which was twice the size. (He is a Marriott Platinum member. ) But, the location is ideal. Minutes walk to The Peabody, Beall Street and The Rendezvous for ribs. The staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful. The breakfast buffet was great. Our visit to Graceland took us to Memphis in the first place and did not disappoint. It turned out to be a perfect celebration.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissBonie
Reviewed January 6, 2007

This hotel was amazing. When you come to Memphis stay here. The location is excellent, it is right in the middle of everyone. The trolley stops right by the front door. There are 5 excellent restaurants within a 3 minute walk. The staff is super amazing. The rooms are fantastic. We stayed for 3 nights between Christmas and New Years. Upon check in, my husband mentioned it was my birthday. The fellow checking us in, sang Happy Birthday to me and I have to tell you his voice was amazing. That was pretty cool. We arrived early (11AM) but no problem at all they found us a room right away. Asked for suggestions about Memphis and the folks at the front desk spent 15 minutes with us telling everything to see, the restaurants we'll want to go to and all of their recommendations were great.
Up to our room, we have a double with a kitchen and sitting area. Really nice, very clean. Room also came with a DVD player which was cool as we staying in one night and had a movie night.
Headed out to see the city and when we came back that day, there were Happy Birthday balloons in our room with a card from the staff. Once again, how cool!
The hotel itself has alot of extras. They have a pool room and we did play a couple hours of pool one night. Breakfast is included and is really good. Great selection. They also have drinks and food from 5-7 each night. We never ate the food but we had a couple of drinks each night and it was a great way to start the evening. On the roof, they have a lounge area which we used one afternoon to relax. They also have a washer and dryer on site. We ate dinner right next door to the hotel both nights. First night at Lolo's which was excellent. Tip - if you are there on a Wednesday night, they have wine Wednesday where every bottle on the menu is half price, great deal. Next night we ate at McEwens which was also excellent.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Diane B
Reviewed December 8, 2006

My friend and I were first time visitors to Memphis the weekend of the marathon - so we were lucky to book a reservation at the Residence Inn. I mention this because I think the true measure of a hotel is how they manage a full house - and the Residence Inn did well.
The buffet breakfast was the best I've ever had for free - the offerings were replaced often enough that no one went hungry.
The studio rooms are very nice - do be warned that if you choose to use the pullout couch it blocks access to the kitchen.
The lobby is gorgeous - all the people we met working the front desk were gracious.....and although 15 dollars a day did seem a bit much for parking - they also have the option of a public garage just a block away that charges 5 dollars each time you leave (which for us, was only 10 dollars as we didn't need to take the car out).
And the bed.......I could have stayed there forever - those pillows were heaven.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
5  Thank morrieb1
Reviewed December 2, 2006

We visited Memphis along with another couple to celebrate our mutual anniversaries. We booked a 2-bedroom suite for 4 nights at the Residence Inn in downtown Memphis. I can't begin to say enough good things about this facility. The accommodations were spacious and very clean. Everyone on the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast served each morning was exactly the same, but there was enough variety that you could eat something different each morning. We weren't able to take advantage of the light supper they offer Monday through Thursday, but we did walk by one evening and it looked great. The hotel is in walking distance from many great restaurants and all of the activites of Beale Street. We were able to walk to the dock for our riverboat cruise on the Memphis Queen. The Main Street trolly, which stops just outside the door of the hotel, was convenient for any other places we needed to go; and the fare of $1.00 made it a real bargain. My only suggestion, is if you are driving there, be sure to include $15 a day extra in your budget for the valet parking.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
5  Thank Violet7171
Reviewed November 21, 2006

The reviewers of tripadvisor were spot on about this one, lovely spacious rooms, DYNAMITE breakfast buffet and top notch service. There really isn't more I can say about it, its a great place to stay. The only thing that I might have changed is to have a bigger more well equipped fitness room, but if thats not important to you then its not a problem at all.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank telie13
Reviewed October 10, 2006

The Residence Inn was great. The room was spacious and they aren't kidding when they say piles of pillows on the bed. The staff was courteous and accomodating and you certainly can't beat a complimentary hot breakfast every day...certainly beats the traditional continental breakfast. One draw back...the key card maker wasn't working when we checked in and it took a while (longer than necessary) to get in a room. But, that didn't take away from the stay. Location is great...central to everything and if you can't walk to it they will get you a car.

Stayed: September 2006