“Excellent Place to Stay!”

Residence Inn Memphis Downtown
Ranked #7 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Harvey, Illinois
“Excellent Place to Stay!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

If your considering going to Beale Street don't overlook this hotel. It's located in the heart of downtown Memphis and is in walking distance of anything your considering doing. There is also a Family Dollar across the street which is a sweet deal. Me and my family frequented there quite often during our stay for little things we needed at a good cost. The hotel provides a tasty complimentary breakfast to their guest which is a real save. The staff is accomodating, friendly, and very personable. The rooms were clean, I'll repeat it..The rooms were clean and also comfortable and cozy!! The hotel also has a roof top area that has grills, and patio furniture for the guest to hangout or relax as well. Presently the hotel is under renovation which you can see is much needed but despite that fact. It was a great place to stay. I can't wait to return next year..They will be even better!!

Room Tip: I would recommend choosing the Studio rooms which is like a kitchenette..The higher floors are bette...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
rooftopviews, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank You for your kind comments! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay.

Tracey Heninger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We really enjoyed our 3 night stay at The Residence Inn hotel. We had a very very warm welcome, our room was very spacious, clean & well appointed; (more like a suite); the bed was very comfortable too. A complimentary breakfast , with ample choices, is served in a very ambient, elegant antique- style area. The laundry was a bonus too! The hotel is well located. Beale Street is an easy walk as are many dining options and the trolley car stops. Great value for the location and quality standard of this hotel and I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
rooftopviews, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and appreciate you taking the time the share your experience on our Trip Advisor site. We pride ourselves in providing great customer service and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you again soon
Tracey
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

As a Marriott Rewards Member I am particularly fond of the Residence Inn hotels. I really enjoyed my stay here. I understand some of the complaints mentioned in other reviews as My opening experience was not necessarily great. There was no one at the front desk when I arrived. However, another employee walked by and went and grabbed someone so I only had to wait a couple of minutes. As I was walking to my room I became a little concerned by sections of the hallway wall. However, when I got to my room I was more than satisfied. Very well laid out room, clean, everything worked fine, and window had a nice side view of Mississippi River. Nice rooftop deck providing good views of the city although they have taken out the hot tub that was listed as being there. You are within several blocks of Beale Street and Auto Zone Park, but far enough away to avoid the noise of these areas. You are right on the trolley line which makes getting around to other areas of downtown really easy. Breakfast was a standard Residence Inn breakfast, decent quality, but not 4 star. Good enough to get your day started. Morning/early afternoon staff was a little slow, but nothing to complain about. Early evening staff was particularly helpful. The valet parking is eighteen dollars, but easier to pay the valet parking than trying to find parking in the area. At 169 for a 1 bed (queen) I thought it was a good deal and will strongly consider staying here again in the future as I visit Memphis at least once a year. Any rates higher than this then I would start to look at some of the other hotels in the vicinity.

Room Tip: see ending comments of review
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank You very much for your kind words-we are thrilled hear you enjoyed your with stay with us!
We look forward to having you again and Thank You for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Memphis Downtown.

We appreciate your business
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were only here for one night but the standard of the hotel was fine. It does need some renovation here and there but it's clean and comfortable. The location is good: a short walk to Beale Street (but far enough away not to get the noise) and right next to the streetcar line. Breakfast is included and is a good start to the day. The staff were helpful and friendly at all times. I would happily stay here for a longer trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
rooftopviews, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to share your stay on our Trip Advisor Site. Happy you had a chance to visit Beale Street! Always a lot of great music and food. We are happy to hear you would return and we look forward to seeing you soon! Have a wonderful Summer.

Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The previous high marks for this property must be a reflection of the poor selection of offerings in Memphis or the booze on Beale Street. This hotel is simply unacceptable.

Upon arrival there was nowhere to park, no valet and no one at the front desk. Once I tracked down someone to check me in, there was no further assistance. Parking and bell service are unheard of here. I took one of two shabby elevators to the eighth floor where most of the old, dingy wallpaper was falling off of the walls due to the seemingly endless humidity in this god-forsaken town. The rook itself would have looked dated twenty years ago. Now it looks down right pathetic. TV reception was fleeting. The entire place felt dirty.

I was ecstatic to leave.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend anyone staying here.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hucksterling
rooftopviews, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear that our facilities were not up the standard our guests have come to expect. Please know that we taken your feedback to our operations team so they can address the issues that you experienced while staying with us. We hope you will accept our invitation to stay with us again after our renovation is completed and experience the level of service for which we have become known. Thank You for choosing Marriott.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Such a wonderful building from the exterior & location is excellent.
On arrival midday reception was not personed & I waited & called ou for quite some time. A driver form Blue City Tours was also in the lobby so I asked where the staff were. He didn't know. After about 1/4 hour someone appeared & stored my luggage till my room was ready.
Interior is SO shabby everywhere. I was very unimpressed.
Suite was adequate in size but very old & shabby furnishings, lumpy mattress & bathroom not all that clean.
Breakfast was ultra minimal with a tiny selection from which to choose most of which I don't eat.
Good computer downstairs available for use & local papers were plentiful.
Reception staff were overall very helpful.
I believe this Residence Inn by Marriott is managed by another company so maybe that is an added problem.

I doubt I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
We apologize your stay was not up to our standards but we do hope you will come back and see us after our full hotel renovation next year. If I can personally assist you with your reservations please contact me at 901-578-3700.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was a great hotel, great location, & great customer service. Southern Hospitality at its finest! We got upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite & our room had a door directly to the rooftop which really topped our night off. We were surprised by an awesome fireworks display from the baseball field. Free breakfast was a plus too!

Room Tip: This location does not have a pool at this time, I believe they are working on installing a new pool...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
rooftopviews, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank You for the wonderful review of your recent stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Memphis Downtown. We look forward to having you back again soon.