“Excellent value for money and top staff.”

Residence Inn Memphis Downtown
Ranked #13 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from staying three nights at the Residence Inn in Memphis as part of our two week holiday . We stayed in a bedroom suite, we loved the place. After reading a number of reviews on trip advisor we decided to stay slightly off Beale Street because of the noise. The Residence was a few blocks away and at the most a five minute walk. Perfect location! The room were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The trolley is near by.
The bathroom was very clean with plenty of towels and good bath and shower. The bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and were Paul Mitchel products.
The room we stayed in had a small kitchen with a fridge- great for cooling waters and beers/wine. It also had a separate living area and two large size televisions in the bedroom area and the lounge area. The rooms are slightly dated, but clean and well maintained and maid service was spot on.
The hotel had a basic gym with a running machine, which I used on a couple of occasions.
The staff were fabulous – all of them. They made us feel extremely welcomed especially the two guys on reception – one I think was a manager. The Hotel was very clean and well-kept and unlike other hotels in the US, the room rate included a buffet breakfast which was very good on all of the days we stayed.
Next time in Memphis, this is where we'll be staying and I will be recommending this place as very good value for money and excellent service.

Room Tip: as for a suite
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Abbey1
downtowntravel38103, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank You for taking the time to post to our site and we are very happy to hear about your recent stay in Memphis at the Residence Inn Downtown was a nice experience and you would recommend to a friend.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were skeptical of this Residence Inn because we'd heard it was an older building and that is true, but we were pleasantly surprised by all aspects of our stay. The staff was terrific; they were extremely accommodating and knowledgeable. Hugh was very welcoming as he checked us in and that set the tone for all our very favorable interactions with the staff . We loved the rooftop room we were given - it was the size of an apartment with views of the downtown area and river. The room was extremely clean, modern and luxurious. We could picture ourselves staying here for a much longer visit. The manager's reception on the rooftop was a lot of fun, with BBQ and all the fixins! We were half a block from the trolley station and found this to be a very convenient location to the downtown activity!

Room Tip: The rooftop room was really great! Huge!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doodah_O

We appreciate your business and hope you wll come back and stay with us again soon.
Glad to hear you had a great vacation and our staff provided you with outstanding service

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We pulled up to valet parking and were warmly welcomed by Gerald. He was so friendly and accommodating, which was nice. It is an old building, but remodeled in an art deco style that I think is nice. We traveled with our German shepherd, and they worked with us to set the cleaning schedule when the dog was out of the room. Our suite had a mini loft area where the bed is. I found it charming, my husband thought the design weird. But we had a lot of space. It was a block and a half walk to Court Square to take the dog out. This worked out ok, but since our dog is older, it may have been better had we chosen Springhill Suites, which is right across from the park area. We had a nice stay. We were able to walk to quite a few different venues, so the location was convenient. I recommend this hotel!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane E
downtowntravel38103, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank You for being a loyal to Marriott and the Residence Inn by Marriott Memphis Downtown. Very happy to hear you were pleased with our guest service as well as our large suites. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is an average hotel close to Beale Street. I wouldn't say that it's as nice as some of the other reviews but its ok. We had a city view room with no view of the city. It was a view of the building beside the property and not much sky view. Parking is a couple of buildings down the street from the hotel. I'm assuming in a parking garage. It takes a while for them to get your car. I have to say that the valet guy did seem to try to get the car as fast as he could. But boy oh boy did he have to go far to get it. The room was ok but the sheets could have been a bit better. Our feather pad was losing it feather under the sheets, but the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was really nice and in great supply. Also, all of the attendants at the hotel were very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank You for sharing your experience. We do our best to give each guest outstanding service and hope you will try us again soon.

Tracey

Reviewed August 26, 2012

November 2011. I had the opportunity to stay at the Residence Inn, downtown Memphis when business required us to be in the area. The hotel is located near the downtown business and Beale Street (entertainment district). I drove to my business in both Oxford, MS and Little Rock, AR.

I checked in late and service was excellent. My room was on one f the higher fllor. My room was comfortable and a bit dated. The bed was comfortable. Lighting in the room was very good with lamps on both sides of the bed, on the desk, and a floor lamp. The work desk was about standard and the retro office-style chair functional and comfortable. My The room had a sofa and an arm chair.

The LCD flat screen TV was had a moderate amount of cable channels as well as a wide selection of pay-per-view movies. I looked at some previews and costs per movie seemed to be between $12 and $15. High-speed Internet service had a charge of $9.95 per day. I used the free WIFI.
The bathroom was clean. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouthwash.

The cleaning crew did a great job during my job. Folks working there were very friendly and helpful. I had to order online a new wheeled hard case because one of Rimowave luggage zippers became discombulated perhaps via the airport luggage system.

The hotel public areas were clean and well-kept, and were busy due to guests and folks conducting business in the property. The buffet breakfast was good on all of the days..

There are several restaurants within ten minutes of the hotel. I can recommend the Texas De Brasil restaurant (yummy food and great service) as well as the famed Rendezouvs BBq joint. Yes, the rooms are a bit dated, but it was clean and service and location make this an ideal property to stay. I would stay at this property again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank SeminarTrekker

Thank You for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Memphis Downtown-We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back again soon!

Tracey

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Went to Memphis this year for my birthday and stayed at the Residence Inn Memphis Downtown. We stayed in a bedroom suite. Loved it because the bedroom/bath are up on a mini loft totally separate from the kitchen/living room area. Perfect location! Right down the block from AutoZone Park. Caught a game while we were there. Very clean room. Gotta love the Marriott beds! The trolley stops right outside the hotel. Very convenient. Would get back from a day of sightseeing, stop at our room to grab a bottle of wine (nicely chilled in our full size fridge), and go to the roof to unwind from the day. What a view! Complete with tables/chairs/jacuzzi & BBQ. Here's something we didn't know about this hotel that really came in handy. McEwen's, which is a great restaurant right next door, takes care of the hotel's room service. We actually used them twice while staying there. Excellent food! All 4 dishes were perfectly cooked & got to our room piping hot. No extra charge for room service. You just pay the menu price. Perfect for when we got back late & didn't feel like going out for dinner. Next time in Memphis, this is where we'll be staying.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a higher floor so I wouldn't hear the trolley. We had no problem but I'd ima...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jersey721
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My father and I went to Memphis for the weekend to sightsee and stayed at the Residence Inn, thinking there would be two separate room areas (he snores, so we need a door between us). This was not the case at this hotel, which was disappointing but I got over it.

What I did not get over was how dirty the room was. Normally, Marriott’s are very clean and comfortable, but this place was old and beat down. My Dad slept on the foldout couch and the blankets provided to us for that bed were torn and stained. The comforter was stained as well, and did not make me feel super happy about sleeping in.

Good things were that the staff was friendly and the location was great. I think next time I will spend the extra $50 per night and stay at The Peabody.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family