“Out of the Way Good Time”

Double J Smokehouse & Saloon
Ranked #177 of 1,469 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Memphis, Tennessee
“Out of the Way Good Time”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I found Double J kinda by accident. A buddy was playing on stage and invited me out. I wasn't really familiar with the place, but I found it with a little help from Google. Trust me, it isn't really close to anything on the typical tourist set in Memphis so you're going to have to go looking for this place if you are into it.
The building is small, a little cramped, and if you get there after the crowd you might be waiting awhile. With the bar and live music people aren't always in a hurry to move along after they're done eating. But the food is worth the wait.
I ordered the pork steak and was impressed with both the portion and the flavor. In true Memphis form, Double J has nailed it when it comes to Barbecue. My steak was about the size of Shaquille O'Neal's shoe and much tastier. I will definitely make it a point to return even if the band isn't there rocking the house.
Our waitress was a little less attentive than I usually like, but I can forgive that.
Parking can be iffy, so take your time and find a good spot so you don't get towed.
And if you are in the mood to party, there is a "private" room upstairs with an outdoor balcony.

• Visited February 2014

Memphis, Tennessee
“Cute little restaurant/bar and good food!!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This was our first time to visit on New Year's Eve & we had a great time!! The place is very "old downtown" with some western nostalgia!! The food is very good and they serve really large portions for very reasonable prices!! They had a duo downstairs on their stage they call the Front Porch. It's non-smoking. They also have an upstairs with a nice deck for warm weather & another bar area that is smoking. They had a duo up there as well! Pretty rocking little place! One of the owners, Jeff, is very personable with a whole lot of charm!! Oh, and there is a huge parking lot behind the restaurant that you can use after business hours! Good job you guys!!

• Visited December 2013
Houston, Texas
“Horrible”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

A group of us decided to eat here and it was the worst. We were all seated waited 20 minutes before anyone got us drinks. We ask if they could turn the TV on and one staff person told us it didn't work then 10 minutes later another staff member came and turned it on after we got fussy. The food took way to long to get to us. And as we occupied the whole top area of the bar EVERYBODY had something negative to say about their food. WORST BAR-B-Q in the world!!! I had never had chicken that was black to the bone like I had that day. Will never return to eat here again!!!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Sweetreat31
Chicago, IL
“Best ribs ever”
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Our tour guide told us this was the best place for wet ribs and I totally agree. They were amazing. My husband had the pulled pork sandwich and it was great also. Lots of sides to choose and delicious. Cool place with bands at night. Used to be a bank and the vault is still there.

Visited June 2013
New Westminster, Canada
“Steaks”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were recommended to the Double J .we went because of the good steaks. The steaks were great ,the music fantastic.somewhat slow service.

Visited May 2013