“How you not have ribs during the rib fest?”

Double J Smokehouse & Saloon
Ranked #162 of 1,440 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Rochester, New York
“How you not have ribs during the rib fest?”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We came in after visiting the National Civil Rights Museum, which is right around the corner and they only had 1/2 slab of ribs available!! Our waitress was great and continued to apologize for not having several of the items we requested... even though they were listed on the menus... Not quite understanding why your menu would have items you aren't serving YET.....

Visited May 2013

Montgomery, Indiana
“A place to watch the game”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This was an old run-down looking saloon-type restaurant, but it wasn't bad. We wanted a place to watch the IU game and this turned out to be a perfect place to do that.

Not much beer on tap though, could have used more choices. Waitress was nice and helpful and let me taste them all to find one I liked though :). The food was good and we won the game so we went away happy and full!

Visited March 2013
Holcomb, Missouri
“Great party place!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've hosted a Fantasy Football Draft Party as well as a Bachelor Party at the Double J and both were a BIG success! The staff is very friendly and the food is delicious and reasonably priced.
My wife and I have also gone to several events at the Fed Ex Forum and taken advantage of the free limo rides to and from the Forum courtesy of the great Double J Limo! Saved me the hassle and expense of parking downtown. Great people, great food!!! Love the place.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank rone4bus
Memphis, Tennessee
“Superbowl party”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Purchased n assortment of food all was excellent, drinks and atmosphere excellent also. Smoking lounge upstairs 21 n older

Visited March 2013
Pleasanton, California
“Well, it's a saloon, not a high dining place”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had a diner at this place and then read some reviews ... Well, let's set the expectations right first.

This is a place in the older part of the town, exposed brick walls, old and worn out. The place inside fits the saloon image - crowded, loud, with cowboy-blues styled artifacts. It has a stage and it appears the stage is actually being used for some live music. I saw a band setting up but had to leave before they started the show.

Speaking about the food. I don't eat red meat and opted for a half chicken with asparagus/mushrooms. The chicken was so so. It was well cooked, rubbed with seasoning on the outside, but nothing spectacular. Yes, I realized this is not what this place is known for.

The service - I was eating at the bar and the bar girl was very nice and paying attention, she brought me extra bread and all that stuff, no complains. I saw some guy looking like a manager or owner (based on the number of his pictures with the visiting bands on the walls) showing up in the dining area a few times and no one rushed to him with any complains either. On my way to the restroom i peeked at the kitchen and it looked like a pretty normal kitchen, clean and stuffed with the people I would trust to cook my meals. You steak maybe not cooked exactly up to your request, but they won't ruin it either.

Overall, this is not a high dining place by no means. Think about it as a Memphis themed version of an Irish pub. People don't really go there for food, they go for that be part of a loud crowd atmosphere and that's what they do well.

• Visited February 2013

Been to Double J Smokehouse & Saloon? Share your experiences!