“Unacceptable Customer Service”

Holiday Inn Express Memphis Southwind
Ranked #47 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Although this is a newer hotel and I have stayed at this location on many previous trips, I will NEVER do business with this particular hotel again. I work for a major US company and I booked a room for a single night - planning to fly out very early the next morning. Unfortunately the trip was cancelled and I contacted the hotel to cancel the reservation. I contacted them over 24 hours in advance of my arrival date and was told that I could cancel the reservation, but the room would be charged to my corporate credit card anyway. I asked to speak to the manager, a Mr. Jose Garcia, who flatly refused to refund the charge. When I asked to speak to his superior he informed me that he was the top man and he answered to no higher authority. As a long time Holiday Inn customer and a rewards club member I was absolutely shocked at such indifference and unwillingness to even try and take the customer's point of view. Needless to say, I will be reporting this to the Holiday Inn corporate group. Be warned!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Houston W
PattiMemphis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Memphis Southwind, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

We apologize for your experience when attempting to cancel your reservation with the IHG central reservation line. After reviewing your reservation we found it had originally been confirmed for an Advance Purchase rate. Certain restrictions apply to this deeply discounted rate and a deposit for the entire stay is charged to your credit card between the time of booking and your date of arrival. Canceling your reservation will result to the forfeiture of your entire deposit.

Acknowledgement of the restrictions is required in order to obtain your confirmation number. This provides you with the option of agreeing or declining the terms, and gives you a choice to book a different rate type with a different cancellation policy.

While we certainly regret any inconvenience this may cause, we are unable to issue refund for your reservation due to the terms originally agreed to at the time of booking.

Once again, we appreciate your taking the time to contact us. We value you as a Priority Club Rewards member and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I checked into the Holiday Inn Express in Memphis on Thursday evening, September 5th at about 7:30pm. Using a coupon from one of the traveling magazines I picked up at a visitor’s center, I was able to get a rate that beat any Internet or special rate.

This establishment has easy access from hwy 385 (Bill Morris Parkway) and is about a 25-minute ride from Graceland. It is within walking distance of a Cracker Barrel restaurant.

This facility is in excellent condition, inside and out. With a friendly staff, a clean and well appointed room already set at a comfortable temperature, hot shower, and a hot breakfast featuring eggs, sausage, waffles, French toast, etc., etc., this place is a great value, especially with that coupon rate.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TheSimpleTraveler
PattiMemphis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Memphis Southwind, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest; we are very pleased to know that you were happy with our room accommodations and customer service. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests; we hope that you will continue to stay with us on your visit to Memphis. We appreciate the feedback we receive as it is crucial to our success. Thank you again for posting your comments. Warm Regards, Patti

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Holiday Inn Express - friendly and helpful staff, solid service, almost always full so that should tell you something. I've stayed several times on business trips and never had any problems. Breakfast area is spacious and the breakfast is always well stocked, clean, and plentiful. Nice outdoor pool area behind the hotel. Recommended stay, close to lots of shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
PattiMemphis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Memphis Southwind, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

We are pleased to know that you were happy with our room accommodations and the breakfast served lived up to expectations. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, and appreciate the feedback we receive as it is crucial to our success. Thank you again for posting your comments. We look forward to having you visit us on your next trip to Memphis. Warm Regard, Patti

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I love everything about this property. Had a very long drive and was beyond exhausted so I pulled in expecting to get turned away because everything else was booked up not only was I able to get a room at a decent price for 2 nights but the service from the evening and night staff was wonderful. The older man John kept me laughing the entire time, Armez was very helpful and friendly and Danielle was just adorable and nice. Room was very clean and it was super quiet, no kids or rowdy adults running around so it was one of the more pleasant stays I have ever had. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jen35807
PattiMemphis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Memphis Southwind, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

We are pleased to know that you were happy with our room accommodations and the breakfast served lived up to expectations. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, and appreciate the feedback we receive as it is crucial to our success. We will ensure that our staff knows how happy you were with the service they gave. Thank you again for posting your comments. We look forward to having you visit us on your next trip to Memphis. Warm Regard, Patti

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I was exhausted when I arrived with two young adult children early on a Friday. My trip took a big turn upward when I was greeted by a smiling, friendly, and very helpful front deskperson named Ryan. The room was clean and modern. The cleaning staff respected the "do not disturb" sign that was in place because my daughter was ill. Ryan went out of his way throughout our stay to help with whatever we needed. He even asked my daughter if she felt better when she passed him on her way out. The breakfast room was clean and spacious, the food was ample and there was a good selection. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cathy L

We thank you for taking the time to share your experience while you were our guest. We know you have a choice and are honored that you selected our hotel for your lodging needs. We are committed to providing you with the level of service you have come to expect from the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests. We appreciate the feedback we receive as it is crucial to our success. We thank you for mentioning the great service that you received from Ryan and we will ensure that he is aware of your comments. Thank you again for posting your comments. We look forward to having you visit us on your next trip to Memphis.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel during my vacation to Memphis, TN. All the hotel staff was more than accomodating (Ryan was especially helpful to us) and the room was clean and quite large for what I expected. The pool area was very nice. Could walk to breakfast at Cracker Barrel each morning and than head off where ever. Downtown Memphis was only a 20-minute ride away.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Memphis and wants to enjoy what Memphis has to offer but be able to go back to a quiet hotel with great staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarsiDawn
PattiMemphis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Memphis Southwind, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

We thank you for taking the time to share your experience while you were our guest. We know you have a choice and are honored that you selected our hotel for your lodging needs. We are committed to providing you with the level of service you have come to expect from the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. We thank you for mentioning the great service that you received from Ryan and we will ensure that he is aware of your comments. Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in our hotels again soon. Warm Regards! Patti

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The warm welcome and friendly atmosphere coupled with a nice room makes this HIE a good stay each time. My wife and I were treated very well, especially this time. The food was very good and the attendant was extra helpful. We had a small registered therapy dog with and all three of us were given the utmost respect..

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We cant thank you enough for taking the time to share your experience while you were our guest. We know you have a choice and are honored that you selected our hotel for your lodging needs. We are committed to providing you with the level of service you have come to expect from the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in our hotels again soon. Warm Regards !! Patti & Staff