“Okay, but we'll try someplace else next time.”

Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis
Ranked #39 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
“Okay, but we'll try someplace else next time.”
Reviewed May 11, 2009

We stayed Saturday and Sunday nights in May. We had two issues. First, our room was on the third floor and frankly that was probably not a good choice to be housed when a wedding was going on in a nearby ballroom. As you can guess, there was a lot of noise which was distracting. Secondly, when we turned in, we found the pillows on the beds were high and hard. Some people may like that but we didn't. I'd recommend if possible you bring your own pillows from home. The pamphlet in the room said to make sure if there is a problem, before we give them a bad review, that they be told so that they have an opportunity to make it right. We tolerated the noise and the pillows the first night, but the second night, a Sunday night when there were very few other guests in the hotel, and no wedding, I asked the guy at the front desk for other pillows and he said in no uncertain terms they had no other pillows, just those in the room (even though the info in the room said the hotel had a limited number of feather pillows). We found the place cavernous and a little spooky on Sunday night. The hotel was clean though. The parking gate was up the whole time we were there which sort of defeated the whole purpose of having a safety gate. There was no pool or hottub which would have been nice. There was a nice workout room. All and all, it was nice but we'll probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Upon arrival, the registration person upgraded my room and I didn't even ask. I am a Priority Club member, but I don't have a lot of account activity. The room was quiet and spotless. In fact, I think you could eat off of most surfaces in the hotel. My sister needed batteries for her camera. The gift shop didn't carry them, so the front desk person called maintenance for us and gave her the batteries she needed. I've never had better customer service.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
meadville, pa
Reviewed January 8, 2009

I stayed here over the New Year holiday and specifically for the Liberty Bowl, which was located just down the street. Although it was a bit of a drive to get downtown, about 10-15 minutes, there were enough stores, restaurants, etc. located very close by that it did not feel like we were secluded. The staff at this hotel went above and beyond for us...they were helpful with driving directions, suggestions for places to go/see, places to avoid....honestly, they rocked! Also, our room/suite, was very comfortable and clean. I loved staying here and it felt like home to me. It was a quiet hotel, which I liked and appreciated. I would highly recommend this to friends and family and if I ever make it back to Memphis, I would consider staying here again!

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — a bit far from the city
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed October 27, 2008

The hotel was okay overall; the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I felt safe in the neighborhood. The location was a little odd, but was not that inconvenient. It was about 7 miles from downtown. The hotel is fenced, with raising gates in front (which were always raised when we came thru). Initially pulling into the hotel, we saw Memphis police drive thru the parking lot (I allowed myself to think it was just as a security measure and should make me feel more safe).

The hotel does have internet connection thru an Ethernet cable (which is in a plastic Ziploc baggie hanging in the closet). The only wireless is in the lobby. I confirmed with the front desk and there was no fee for the internet.

I shared this room with 4 other family members. It was perfect for us b/c this was more of a family reunion of the sorts and spent a lot of time just talking. So having the living area will was beneficial to us. The two beds were in a separate room from the living area, which had a couch (makes into a bed), chair, table and chairs, sink, microwave, tv and frig. It was nice to have the seating for us to all set and talk. A lot more enjoyable than all of us cramming into a normal hotel room with only beds to set on. There were also 2 flat panel tvs, one in each room. I had a few minor issues with the room, which I should have mentioned to staff but didn’t. The plastic toilet handle was chipped and broken, the shower curtain eyelet had ripped and there was a nasty yellow stain on the living room chair. My husband went down to get extra towels and was told would have to wait for them to be brought to the room. I had to call 20 minutes later to see where the towels were. A little frustrating but nothing to ruin my stay.

I didn’t use the exercise facilities, but did walk by it and it looked nice. There is not a pool. This looks more of a hotel for business.

We did eat breakfast at the Medallion restaurant. Unless you don’t want to leave the hotel, I would suggest eating somewhere else. We ordered off the menu on day 1, presentation was nice but the food just wasn’t that good. Day 2 we ate the buffet. It was $8.95 and the food on the buffet probably would not pass a state inspection if someone was to drop by. Food was room temperature at best. We really shouldn’t have paid for this meal. It was the worst breakfast I’ve ever had. I didn’t think the staff was very nice in here either. They definitely move at their own pace doing other things and you literally have to ask for service.

I would stay here again if I needed the living area space again. But if I was just needing a place to sleep, I would not pay the extra price for this hotel. I don’t intend to stray people away from staying here, b/c I would stay again, but my hope is maybe my issues will be fixed and improved upon.

• Liked — The large floor plan and helpful front desk.
  • Disliked — Location, restaurant (food & staff), proper upkeep.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Arkansas
Reviewed September 16, 2008

We checked in on Saturday. Even though is was only one night, we were very impressed with our room. It was clean and spacious. Have a minor problem with our room key but it was addressed quickly. FREE parking only. The hotel is about 10 min from downtown. The hotel was in nice area. We slept great after a night on beale street. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Colorado
Reviewed August 6, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights. What a wonderful stay! The Staff was super friendly and the room was awesome. We had a small suite and the furnishings were all modern and very comfortable. The only downside is the shower wasn't scrubbed well, however, I have discovered that most hotel/motel showers aren't. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone and plan to stay here again.

• Liked — Great staff, very comfortable room and very convenient.
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed May 29, 2008

I needed special accommodations. I needed a room cleaned with unscented material. Not only was it not cleaned with unscented material, the lobby smells moldy and mildewy. If you have lung problems (COPD, Asthma, etc.) don't even consider this hotel.

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — checking in
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business