“Good hotel, right next to campus”

Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis
Ranked #45 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Arkansas
“Good hotel, right next to campus”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a good Holiday Inn, right across the street from the north side of the beautiful University of Memphis campus on Central Avenue. I had a double queen suite with microwave and fridge. Prepaid rate was $127. Room is comfortable, though bed could have been a bit softer. Pretty clean, though found some foreign hair in bathroom. Not enough electrical outlets - would have been nice to have had a USB plug for the business traveler. Staff is friendly. Areas appears safe. About 10 minutes from Central BBQ.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. We listen to each guest response closely in an effort to continually improve our services. We truely appreciate you staying with us and hope you will choose us again when you are in Memphis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Needed a place to stay while attending meetings at the University. This hotel was recommended by the school and it is amazing. It is a part of the hospitality and resort management programming they have and you can really see the care and attention put into this facility. The room was great and had a separate sitting area with two double beds. Very clean, comfortable bed, and overall really nice. I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We are delighted that your stay was more than you expected. It makes us very happy to read reviews like yours. It lets us know we are doing something right! Thank you for taking time to leave your comments.It is our ultimate goal for our guest to leave with the same impression that you did. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you are back in Memphis!
Tennessee
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Normally I try to steer clear of Holiday Inns because of many past bad experiences. However, I was on a University of Memphis campus tour with my high school senior this week. There are only two universities in Tennessee with his desired major. After reading the reviews on the hotel website and looking at the location, I decided to book it for our one night stay. I am so glad that I did. We had a two room suite that was really clean, nice and comfortable. The suite had two TV's which is good when you are traveling with a teenager.The location for the university can not be better. The campus is right across the street. We could see the buildings that we were visiting from the hotel. He has decided to attend The University of Memphis. We will most definitely stay at this hotal when we are visiting him next year.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet. I do not think that the location of a room is important. The elevators ar...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We appreciate you staying with us and are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed the suite. All of our rooms at the hotel are suites. We hope you will choose to stay with us again when you are back in town. We look forward to seeing you again!
Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I spent 3 nights attending my class reunion. The staff was very pleasant allowed me to check in early after an early morning flight. I was very tired and I was sure I would not be able to but they offered me a double room instead of the king I reserved but that was fine. I justed wanted a comfortable bed and that certainly was the case. They had a breakfast buffet which was very good and the price was only $8.95. They do not have an onsite swimming pool and if you are looking for night life this is not the place. The bar closes at 10pm which is early even for me and I am not a night owl. There are many restaurants within a couple of miles. All staff members I encountered both at the fron desk and the restaurant were very pleaseant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
We hope you enjoyed your reunion. Thank you for the kind remarks regarding our facilities and our staff. I am glad they were able to accommodate you with an early check in. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Ridgeland, Ms
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have stayed at this property many times by choice for the convenience, but also because this is a well maintained property and the staff is great. They always are ready to help in any way if you have special requests. The rooms are all suites, so there is plenty of room and you can spread out. Each room has a refrigerator and microwave, and this is a big plus.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, as they all open to the inside of the hotel, which is great for safety reasons
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for the kind remarks about our facility and staff. We always appreciate you choosing to stay with us. We are glad you find our rooms comfortable and clean. We hope to see you again in the near future.
kuala lumpur
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This hotel is beautiful. Spacious, well decorated and has escalator. Using my reward points to book a room. It has got a small pantry with coffee making facilities, a small dining table, microwave oven and mini fridge although not equipped with basic utensils. It has a living room with TV. Entering the bedroom, we got another TV, a writing table and two queen bed, clean and comfortable pillows. Toilet are clean properly except unremovable stain inside the bath tub which doesn't look good. House keeping staff are friendly and service are quick. Very convenient to order pizza or food nearby and delivered to the hotel room. No free breakfast But Wifi available. Even the pizza delivery gal commented that this hotel is beautiful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate you being a loyalty member. Thank you for all the kind remarks. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.
Owens Cross Roads, Alabama
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Up on the second floor of this hotel is a museum dedicated to the founder of the hotel chain, Kimmons Wilson. If you are in the area, you should see so the museum - and so should the employees of this hotel!

It has displays on service and hard work. But there's something else I noticed, too. It has not been updated or cared for. The lights on some of the displays have burned into the photographs on the back walls. Photos are faded. Some dusty. This hotel is a TRAINING hotel and I, and perhaps the spirit of Mr. Wilson would expect a little more from this property. It disappoints in many ways.

1. When we checked in we learned we had a King-sized bed. We asked for two beds. We were told we would be switched. The room we received had a king and a couch that made a bed. Not sure if that was a joke or a mistake, but one of our sons ended up sleeping on a chair. In fairness we did not ask for another room, but we were tired and since we had directly asked for two beds and this is what we received (and we were the only ones at the desk, so it could not be attributed to business or crowding) we figured this was as good as it gets.

2. This hotel has no pool. A Holiday Inn with no pool? Yes! Even though the University owns this hotel, the University will charge you $5 each to use its pool across the street. In other hotels where I have stayed without a pool, especially when the temperature was as hot as it was this August, they have invited us to use pools at same-brand hotels nearby. The University and hotel could earn a lot of goodwill by offering its pool for "free," to its guests. I am not sure why it charges $5 and why it thinks this is a good idea.

3. The toilet in the bathroom wobbled and the shower curtain was on backwards (meaning the screen-like design allowed the floor to get wetter than it should). All-in-all not a big deal, but shouldn't someone have noticed?

4. Other reviewers have said this hotel was a fair price. I disagree. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (a lesser hotel in the IHG pecking order) the next night which was cleaner, had a pool, more TV channels, better linens, and free breakfast for $20 less per night. AND the people were friendlier. Which brings me to my final comment and the one that hurt most of all.

5. The front desk. There were two people at the front desk that were wonderful. Fantastic. Helpful. Friendly. Courteous. They saved this from being a total loss. However, and this amazed me, especially for being a TRAINING hotel, there were people at the front desk who went out of their way to NOT make eye contact, to not smile, and most amazingly not help when the desk was busiest. There was one woman in the morning who seemed to be a senior employee who seemed to refuse to help who just shuffled papers even when the line was five people thick and the young "trainee" was over her head. I will never stay at this Holiday Inn again and recommend you avoid it as well.

They say that Kimmons Wilson's ghost haunts this hotel. I assure you it does not. If it did, he would keep an eye on things and make some changes; scare some life into the employees. Surely he would be disappointed in how things are run. While the hotel is clean, spacious and well-kept, people make a difference, and in this case, the difference is enough to keep this traveler away and recommend you do the same.

Room Tip: Look at the room and make sure it is what you want before you accept it.
1 Thank HappyDonor
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Please accept our sincere apology for the problems you experienced. This is not the service we are capable of providing. I truely wish you had brought the incidents that could have been corrected to my attention and given me the opporturnity to correct them. I am a little confused about the comment about your son sleeping on the chair. All of our rooms do have full size pull out sofa beds. I truely wish you had contacted the desk to get this clarification and get this mixup corrected. I very much regret this situation. As far as the comment about the pool, our website clearly states we do not have a pool. The arrangement we made with the university to allow guest to purchase a day pass to use their facilities was an effort we made to provide the option of the service off property for guests that would like this option. Unfortunately, we have no control fo the $5.00 fee they charge. For clarification, Holiday Inn Express hotels offer complimentary continential breakfast. We are a full service hotel and not a Holiday Inn Express. We offer a full service restaurant with a buffet and full wait staff. This is different than a continental breakfast.. I am not sure who could have made such a statement regarding Mr. Wilson. We will address this with our staff. This was a very unprofessional and ridiculous statement and will be addressed immediately with the line level staff.

We are truely apologetic that your stay was less than satisfactory. We do take pride in delivering the best service we can and I take every comment seriously. We will continue to improve in the areas you mentioned and appreciate your feedback.