Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis
$299
$209
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewshospitality managementcentral avemedallion restaurantinteresting museumsuite hotelgreat breakfast buffetspacious lobbyliving room arealiberty bowlnice hotelfree breakfastroom numberking suitewould stay againmini fridgelocation was perfectpleasant stay
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just had the privilege of working with the staff from the front desk. They went above and beyond to make our daughter's stay a friendly one as she was there for a convention. Everything turned out so wonderful, definitely staying here if I'm in Memphis!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I really like this place. It is located in a very nice part of town, right across the street from the University of Memphis and just down the street from the Pink Palace. This place is used by the UM to train their students in hotel/motel managment. The second floor is a virtual museum to the founder of Holiday Inns Kemmon Wilson--just looking at it is worth a trip.

The rooms are all suites looking down on an atruim [sp?]. The room was extremely nice and met any kind of need you could hope for. My room was wired for internet, wish I had known, as I do not have wireless but do have an all in one computer that I could have brought. Two flat screen tvs. Bed was pretty hard but comfortable--I prefer a little softer but I know plenty who like firm. Great refrig and microwave. The noise was almost non existent from inside my room. Shower was very, very good--and hard!

I was acknowledged as a platinum member. They gave me a snickers and water.
Told them I didn't need the water, so they gave me two snickers. The front desk was extremely cordial, helpful and friendly. Sort of got the impression that some of the older older ones were employees and some of the younger ones were students but it didn't make any difference.

This is the kind of place where you can really lay back and not worry about anything. This place really lives up to the old saying, "the best surprise is no surprise" Excellent all around.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here for work and was amazed by the fantastic service. Free shuttle from the hotel (must be arranged in advance), a bottle of water & NutriGrain bar at check-in (note I am a preferred member), polite & outgoing staff, and every room is a suite. The suite was ideal for business travel--lots of plugs, a desk in the main room plus a work area in the little living room in the front. They also have a cute little Holiday Inn museum on the 2nd floor outside the elevators that's worth taking a quick walk-through.

Negatives worth noting: Tub needed to be reglazed around the drain, there's not much natural light in the room, and the curtains don't come flush with the wall on the sides so they let in light at night, which affects sleep quality.

Overall, though, a nice place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a 2 night business trip. I'm platinum in the Priority Club, and the hotel upgraded me to a huge suite, which was a great perk. I found everything in the hotel to be very clean, and I slept exceptionally well. I used the Internet extensively without issue, despite what other reviewers mentioned. Also, as far as the lobby goes, I'm a business traveler, and all I care is that the place is clean and the service is good, and this place has both. Sure, the lobby isn't necessarily going to win awards, but it is nice, clean, and spacious. Who cares about the artwork? Overall, I would easily return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I attended a wedding reception here and so, it's logical to stay upstairs. Upon stepping into the foyer, I was greeted with a high ceiling, which made the reception desk looks tiny. The place is painted in a bland white/cream colour. The corridors are decorated with pictures of the alumnis and motivation catchphrases. You would have thought that you are stepping into a scene of Dead Poets Society or your college hall. Afterall, this is a hotel inside the hospitality campus. The room is spacious with all amenities imaginable available. There are pillow options and yet, they all come in square shape. The food served is what we would expect in a chain hotel, suffice and soulless. I don't have a problem with the hotel but what I do have an issue with is the length that I spent on the phone booking the room, where the staff asked me a barrage of questions about membership card, and explaining to me the benefits of being a member and automatically assuming that I would join and then, asking for my particulars. After a long day of travelling, the last thing I want to do is to become yet another statistics in the book but the staff heard me but not necessarily listened to me. Alas, they are doing their jobs. Anyhow, a commendable stay here as long as you have a car to get places in Memphis.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo