“Look around a little. It was okay not great.”

Comfort Inn & Suites Airport - American Way
Ranked #60 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Santa Rosa, California
“Look around a little. It was okay not great.”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed here as part of our Graceland and Beale Street trip. We had 2 rooms. The bathroom fans did not work in either room. Our bathroom fan had not worked in so long that there was rust around the metal door frame. I told the staff about it and they said they would contact maintance. We never heard anything back. I think there must have been mold because there was an unusual odor in our room. The kids room was not so bad. The indoor pool and gym was a nice feature and breakfast was reasonable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Melvindale, Michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I didn't expect a perfect hotel as hotels.com only gives it 2.5 stars. However I expect much more from the Holiday Inn brand. The lobby is nice, however the rooms need work. At first they sent us to a room that was already occupied. When that was fixed we noticed the rooms were not in good shape. The room smelled like mildew. There were missing moldings, the elevator buttons were cobbled up. I had an air mattress in the room which I leaned against the wall for daytime storage and it got wet from water seeping down the wall. Breakfast was to close at 9:30 on Saturday, but when our teens went down for breakfast at 9:15 they were removing the food which was completey gone by 9:20. There were never enough towels. When we asked for towels for the pool the staff told us they were out. But if we used the towels from our room at the pool they would not give us more towels for the shower unless we brought them our used towel. The staff was often rude. Our 19 year old went to use the workout room and was asked her age. When she told the staff she was 19 and a college sophomore they told her she could not use the facility without and adult as they did not believe she was old enough. She needed to go get ID to prove her age for the exercise room. The bathroom in the pool area had a plumbing problem and sewage was coming up from the drain. Also the light in the bathroom did not work. Rather than close the bathroom and call a plumber/electrician, they put toilet paper over the drain. The pool was dirty. You could not see the bottom. The neighborhood was quite rough. There are security gates all around the building and a gate at the entrance to the street. The only thing that kept us from changing hotels is the fact that it was a very busy weekend in Memphis and other hotels were booked.

Rock Island, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I booked three rooms at this Holiday Inn Express for the night of July 17. Went through the website but ended up making arrangements through a 800 number. We specifically needed three rooms, king beds and one room with a sofa sleeper. Our youth shared a king room and the adults had their own rooms. The rooms were clean. Breakfast was bountiful and hot. Upon arrival, we were informed that the pool pump was broken which was a disappointment . There were many children at the hotel and I am sure that they were equally disappointed. Pool closure was a negative but there were other positives. Staff allowed us to use the breakfast area to have our dinner. The next morning,. Elissa at the desk opened a room so that we could say Morning Prayer before getting back on the road.toward New Orleans. A overall great start to our trip

• Stayed July 2010
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I normally stay at this Holiday Inn about 2-3 times a year. However, upon checking in this time, things were different. I checked into one room and had to move to another room because of the smell in the room and the torn sofa bed. Also, dirty socks had been left in one of the drawer. I was given another room. However the smell was terrible. I asked for something to freshen the room with. The rooms had a dam, musty smell. The bed covers were torn. The water in the pool was murky. The condition of this Holiday Inn was unbelievable. If it had not been so late, i would have checked into another hotel. I asked what had changed in this hotel in the last year, and I was told positions in management. If this hotel is to continue to carry the Holiday Inn's name, changes must be made to correct these problems.

San Mateo California
Reviewed July 24, 2010

After two canceled flights on two different airlines, the airline put us up for the night here.

The hotel offered a free shuttle from the airport that was clean and air conditioned. The driver was friendly and showed up a few minutes after calling the hotel.

We arrived late at night with 10 or so other passengers who had their flight canceled too. The front lobby staff did a good job in getting everyone checked into their rooms in a short amount of time.

Our room was clean and the bed was typical of what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express... Nothing fancy... Low thread count sheets.

I found myself on the 4:30AM shuttle that was on time to catch a 6:00 AM flight.... the shuttle was again on time.

If you are in the area and looking for a clean place to rest your head for the night, they would be just fine.... I wouldn't pay more than 70 bucks a night here though....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Chose this property because I was stranded in Memphis for one night. Not entirely sure what to make of the fence around the property- I definately didn't make a solo female traveler feel safe by any means. So my first impression (fence) my have just colored my opinion from the start. Staff was very plesant. Room was adequate, although it had an off putting odor. Decor is in need of severe updating and some of the walls were badly damaged. Plus side- bathroom was spotless and the airport shuttle was quick and on time. There were plenty of other guests and famlies, so I guess the place was decent for the price, but I'm not a frequent budget hotel guest so it felt a little uncomfortable with the whole experience.

• Stayed July 2010
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 14, 2010

After I checked in and noticed the area (bad) and the high security fence around the property. Not usually a good sign. Another unfortuante problem was a bus load of HS kids took over the hotel with little or no supervision from parents. They wrestled, hung out in the hallway and generally made noise past midnight. For a busienss traveler, that is a problem as I need some sleep. The next morning I had a few itchy spots that I originally attributed to mosquito bites. The strange part was that all the bites were head, arm and waist, nothing below the belt line. I had 50 in all and finally called the hotel to let them know that the bites looked more like bed bugs, from photos I picked up on-line. They called back a few days later telling me that Orkin came in and claimed there was no bed bug activity. She sent me the Orkin report and it shows that the Orkin inspector spent 10 minutes in the room. That doesn't sound like enough time to thoroughly inspect a room suspected of having bed bugs. I only had slept in my own bed the eveninges previous, so the story doesn't really hold water.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business