“Nice Place.”

Ranked #62 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
South Louisiana
“Nice Place.”
Reviewed April 19, 2006

Enjoyed my stay here. The hotel is very nice, clean, with a very nice staff. Hotels staff was very helpful with anything we needed. Decent free breakfast in the morning, and very nice indoor pool area. Parking area was big and well lit and fenced in. I would stay here again on my next trip to Memphis.

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Erial, NJ
Reviewed April 17, 2006

Located just a few miles from everything Memphis has to offer, this Holiday Inn Expess is a great place to stay. It is located right on American Way in a pretty nice part of town. We did not feel unsafe at any time during our visit.

The rooms were large and comfortable, and had high-speed internet access. It requires you to bring an ethernet cable. If you forget, there was a sign that said they are available at the front desk.

The staff were very pleasant, and helpful. They gave us directions to anyplace we needed. Parking for us was also free, unlike some other hotels I looked into. The pool also seemed nice, but we didn't have a chance to swim.

All in all, we had a great time. The hotel was a great place to stay for the money. I highly reccomend it.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank brett d
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2006

I chose this hotel because of the great reviews. However, the other reviewers made it out to be the most wonderful hotel in Memphis. I would not go that far, but considering that this a 1 star hotel it is wonderful. The inside of the hotel looks like the way you would expect a Marriott or similar hotel to look. The lobby was nice along with the hallways. We had a Jacuzzi suite. It was spacious for a hotel room and the Jacuzzi was adequate. The beds had spring mattresses. The bed was comfortable, but for someone who is use to sleeping on pillow-top beds they might notice a difference. The rooms were not as fancy as the rooms at a 4 star hotel, but much nicer then other hotels in this class.
However, I am very particular about where I stay and I notice every little small detail.
There were a few very small details that would prevent me from giving this an excellent 5 rating.

1.There was a 1 skittle (piece of candy) in the bathroom.
2.There was a little bit of hair behind the toilet and some small hairs in some of the corners in the bathroom.
3.A very slight dust buildup on the dresser under the T.V.
4.The photo of the pool on the website made the pool area look big, but it was actually small. However, we didn’t use the pool anyways so it doesn’t matter.
5.The breakfast if limited, but at almost every hotel I have ever been the breakfast is limited and I don’t rely on hotel breakfasts anyways.

Although there were a few very small details that would prevent me from giving it a perfect rating there were also details that made me say it was much better then other hotels in it’s class.

1.The bathroom towels were nice and thick.
2.The hotel had a nice little fitness center.
3.The staff was accommodating, professional and helpful.
4.The in room Jacuzzi was decent size which I recommend getting a Jacuzzi suite.
5.Other then the very small details the room was very clean.
6.Excellent water pressure.
7.Although not big, decent indoor pool area.
8.Although the area is rough the hotel is secure and I felt very safe staying here.

If you are looking for a romantic stay or to celebrate a special occasion I would probably choose somewhere fancier. If you are traveling with family or for a Memphis getaway this location is great.

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank lakecity211
Bloomington-Normal, IL
Reviewed March 27, 2006

Associates:

I decided to give Holiday Inn Express a chance and I'm sorry to say, I lost.

I am an Access USA member and they offered a discounted rate. I was excited by the prospect of saving money during my stay and relying on the 'Holiday Inn' name. Needless to say, the hotel experience was less than savvy.

My guest and I checked in just before midnight on Friday the 24th of March. There was a large convention going on so I understood the staff's
frustration as I checked in. No directions to the room where I'd be staying. No information about food services available. No thank you or have a pleasant
stay. The associate handed me the card keys and moved on to the next individual. The room temperature was 90 degress according to the thermostat. Not wanted to cause difficulty, I adjusted the temperature and decided to go down to the lobby as the room cooled off. The night's sleep was fine, but the next morning had more hurdles. The coffee maker was dirty. I decided NOT to have a cup. The shower was unclean and there was mildew on the inside shower curtain. At this point I was behind schedule and did not have a moment to make
the front desk aware. After all, I was receiving a discounted rate, right? Housekeeping came in and did their best, but the room just wasn't comfortable.
The wall paper was peeling and the ceiling was cracking and left plaster on the desk next to the bed. There was no privacy sign, nor television directory. I know these sound like small things, but when away from home, one likes to be as
comfortable as possible. Had there been a sign to use, I could have kept the housekeeper from entering my room at 9am every morning. After all was said and
done, I was ready to leave, making note of the series of 'small' things that needed to be corrected. But, the hotel associate gave me one more for the road. My card, used to guarantee the reservation, had already been charged. Even if I had wanted to adjust my hotel rate (due to the inconveniences), I could not have at this point. I went on to remind the associate that I had been incorrectly billed. I was tax-exempt and gave the associate the information as I checked in. She copied the info and said that 'it was fine.' Apparently these two did not confer. The check out associate simply told me that the person who checked me in was incorrect and that I shouldn't have received the bill under my door because the room had already been paid for. I asked how and the employee went on to say that the room had been charged off already. Good thing I had money available in that account. I had every intention of using another card. The hotel housekeeping tried to make me comfortable by reminding me that they would help in any way possible, but the
help that I needed required assistance from the Hotel Manager. I will definitely visit Memphis again, but I will not suggest this Holiday Inn Express location to anyone. The overall condition of the hotel was lacking, even with a full house. Overall, I feel cheated. Next time I'll gladly pay a higher rate to another business that will keep me and my level of comfort in mind.

I hope that the things mentioned will be corrected so that no other guest will refrain from staying at this site.

• Stayed March 2006