“Not so "Grace" Land”

Ranked #62 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Hershey, PA
“Not so "Grace" Land”
Reviewed May 16, 2008

My wife and daughter, both big time Elvis fans, really wanted to visit Graceland for years. As my daughter is on leave from the Army and about to go to Iraq for a tour duty, I decided to book this hotel on points for the "pilgrimage" to Graceland. As another reviewer has stated, the formidable fence around the entire hotel property invokes a thought that there might be rebellion about to happen. Driving onto the property, I half expected to see guards with UZI's raising the entry gate and checking reservations against your ID. Overall, the staff seemed quite helpful if a bit undertrained. My major problem came the second night of our stay with the 12:30AM check-in of a fellow guest (visiting Sumo wrestling team?) in room above ours. Gotta love the hotel chains that are building new hotels with wood floors instead of concrete. After filling the their Jacuzzi tub for 30 minutes, which sounded exactly like a 747 on final approach, they booted up the water jets and our entire room vibrated until they had completed their pre-tournament water rituals. At 2:30AM, they had finally finished cracking our ceiling plaster and retired for the "morning."
If you are looking for a quiet night in hotel, look elsewhere. There is no way you will get a quiet night here without prescription drugs in your luggage. BTW, if you need a room with a functioning sofa bed, forget it here. Ours had to have been acquired from a Big Lots inventory clearance sale. Bad stains on the cushions and almost inoperable springs made sofa something that will likely outlast the concrete foudation of the hotel. No one will sit on this for more than 5 seconds.

• Liked — seeing it in my rear view mirror
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank viper1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed April 29, 2008

My family of four planned on taking a weekend getaway to Memphis with a visit to the zoo included. We chose to stay at this particular Holiday Inn since it was newer and had an indoor pool for the kids to enjoy. We took the grandparents with us and booked two double rooms. We asked repeatedly that the rooms be adjoining since we do girls in one room, guys in the next. They of course gave us the spill, "We can't guarantee... depends on what's available at the time of check-in". We made sure to check in early 4:30pm. No adjoining rooms. When we got to the two rooms I decided I would tell them we would wait until one became available. The luggage and kids were just too much trouble with seperate rooms!

Within 7 minutes of waiting in the lobby with our two young children, adjoining rooms magically became available.

The bathroom had more hair on the floor than my balding uncle has left on his head! The room appearred to not have been dusted in quite awhile. It has to be glaring and obvious because I'm not much of a duster myself!

On a positive note...
The pool and hot tub were nice.
The motel offers free breakfast.

This is a very nice motel. With helpful management and clean rooms it could be a wonderful place to stay. I personally won't go to find out again though.

• Liked — The pool!!!
  • Disliked — Filthy, nasty, dirty!!!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank sandybeech
Wisconsin
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Excpetionally clean! Stayed 2 days, Easy access to intersate. Staff was very friendly.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We planned to stay here for two nights, but moved to a different location after the first night. The hotel itself was newer and well maintained, but the location was a bit unsavory as they had a fence and gate around the property and a glassed-in afterhours check-in. We had dirty towels and coffee left in the pot in our room and our door wouldn't latch properly. When I told the front desk clerk why we were checking out early she was very sweet and accomodating to us and wanted to make the situation right for us. The rooms were in nice order and the beds were very comfortable. The only other problem we had was at breakfast when they were completely out of milk. It's hard to eat cereal without milk. Overall, the staff was very friendly, but we decided to move downtown Memphis and we were very glad we did. I would recommend downtown to anyone planning a trip to Memphis.

• Liked — Front dest staff
  • Disliked — Breakfast... out of milk
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingSix
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed March 12, 2008

This was our second stay here and we primarily booked it for the "park and fly" feature because of an early morning flight out of Memphis airport.

We did this once before a few years ago and had a very nice experience.

But things have changed at this little hotel and we weren't so happy this time around.

Our room was fine and seemed pretty clean. Checking in, the front desk person was very efficient and pleasant. But the halls were very noisy and pretty well dominated by children and teenagers who literally ran up and down the hall until quite late at night.

Our children were unable to swim in the indoor swimming pool, because it , too, was taken over by a large pack of unsupervised teenagers. We could hear noise from the swimming pool in our room until late at night and then the carpeting in the hallway was soaked for the rest of the night from wet guests walking back and forth to their rooms -- without drying off! The staff seemed not to notice the mess and noise.

Our biggest problem was with the airport shuttle. We had phoned ahead to make sure it would be available to take us to the airport at the beginning of the week, and then pick us up to return to the hotel after our return flight a few days later. They assured us that it would be available.

Well, flying out, we had no problems. The female shuttle driver was very pleasant and efficient. However, a few days later when we returned, we called the hotel to request a shuttle pickup and were told "it's busy- for the rest of the night." What?? That was the whole point of "Park and Fly"!

In the end, we had to get our own transportation back to spend the night at the hotel after talking with them by phone several times. The manager was "out" and could not help us.

Both mornings we ate the continental breakfast. It was basic but good: several cereals,sweetrolls, juice and milk. The little dining area was extremely hot though and was crowded with unsupervised teens and some employees who seemed to be eating their breakfast as well.

Overall, this hotel is a basic, adequate place to stay if you just need a bed for the night.

But be aware that the shuttle service is "iffy" and it you may have to share the common areas with some rather unpleasant fellow travelers.

Next time we'll find another place to stay.

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Disliked — Airport shuttle and low-class clientele
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank budgetingmom
UP Michigan
Reviewed November 7, 2007

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn Express (Airport Way) on our recent pleasure trip to Memphis, once after the flight in, and then several days later prior to our morning departure. We were very satisfied with our stays. Price was reasonable for the area, grounds, common areas, and room were clean, towels and linens were good quality, and the breakfast provided a sufficient selection. Location and access from the airport car rental area is close and straightforward. If you leave your room window open you can hear the steady stream of FedEx planes departing about 3:00 am. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location close to airport
  • Disliked — Location along a busy highway.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BaydeNoc
Home of the Ohio State University
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Allow me to preface this with the fact that this hotel was picked up by my company, so it didn't cost me a plug nickle to stay here. There is nothing to gain by my educating my fellow business travellers about any of this. Additionally, I wrote two notebook pages to include with the comment card, that I had to actually ask for at the front desk, there weren't comment cards in the room or on the front desk readily available for anyone wanting one, that was left at the front desk with the gentleman that was workign at the time, in a sealed envelope with "Manager" on the front of it. So this is not the first forum that I have used to express my displeasure. I did not receive, nor did I expect to receive, any communication back from the hotel, but they had my contact info if they wanted to contact me. Check in was the first challenge. When booked, I specified a ground floor room. They had a 3rd floor room for me when I got there and only after being forced to explain my disability in front of everyone within earshot were they miraculously able to find a ground floor room to accomodate me. If your on a business trip and you don't want to work all day and then have to drive around searching for someplace to eat, find a different location to stay at. There's a Waffle chain across the street and beyond that there's nothing. You have to travel a good ways away from the hotel to even find a fast food restaurant. If you want a nice sit down dinner, I'm sure you can get directions from the front desk, but what a pain. I ate at the Waffle chain the 1st night (much better than anticipated) after I fianlly gave up driving around. After that, I ate dinner at 4-5PM over by where I was working, before going back to the hotel. The staff did a good job cleaning my room, but the complimentary coffee pack that I used the 1st night wasn't replaced, they threw my soap from the shower away and didn't replace my bathmat. I made sure the front desk knew not to charge my room for the missing bath mat, because they let you know that you're being charged for any missing items. All very minor issues, but as my title states, too many of them. If you want to use the computer access room, make sure you tell them. I just thought it must cost extra to have access to it, so I just blew it off, but while checking out I overheard another guest complaining about it and the font desk explained to him that you have to come to the front desk to get authorized. I got by without checking my email for three days, but had they shared that info with me when I checked in, it would have made things a little bit more pleasant. Why wouldn't they tell the guests that when they check in? There were as many channels on the TV that had static running through them as there were clear channels. Unfortunately, one of the channels full of static was the guide channel, so I never knew what was coming on. Don't bother telling the front desk, because sometimes the TV's just do that. Good to know, thanks. The apples they have out in the fruit basket looked good, but were like biting into and chewing on styrofoam. As far as the flavor goes, there wasn't any, so avoid the apples. Breakfast looked like it would be pretty good, and what was there was good, but they were out of quite a few items. Only one toaster? I enjoy watching the news while eating my breakfast and I sat at the table directly in front of the TV so I could hear what was going on. For some reason, the young lady that was supervising the breakfast area decided that her paper products needed inventoried during breakfast. Nevermind the fact that they are stored in the large compartment in the bottom of the TV stand that was holding the TV that I happen to be watching. So without so much as an 'excuse me" or "this will just take 5 minutes sir" or "sir, do you mind if I......", she went ahead and did whatever she was doing with the paper products, standing directly in between me and my news. Nevermind me, I'm just your guest!Overall, pretty poor continental breakfast experience. Maybe there are a lot of the things I've listed that are individually minor issues, but when you take this many minor issues and cram them into a two night stay, it makes me extremely glad that I wasn't there any longer.

• Liked — It was quiet.
  • Disliked — There was nothing within walking or short driving distance.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business