“Nothing Fancy, Just Good Fried Chicken”

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken
Ranked #5 of 1,436 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Memphis, Tennessee
“Nothing Fancy, Just Good Fried Chicken”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was our second visit here. Both times the food was good. In fact, I remember the mac and cheese being better this time. It isn't a fancy place, but the food is excellent and the service is sufficient.

The only knock is the nickel and dime attitude. Why do you need to charge to change sides or for extra sauce for the tenders? 50 cents is nothing to me or the restaurant, but it is enough to be annoying.

• Visited October 2013

Maryland Heights, Missouri
“Absolute Best Fried Chicken Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Outstanding , Excellent , Superb , Delicious , Fun. So many adjectives I could use to describe this place. We ate there on a Sunday afternoon before leaving to drive back to St.Louis...WOW
There were 4 adults in our group and I thought the 16 PC meal would be too much food. Hah , we finished that off , no problem.

• Visited July 2013
Columbus, Ohio
“It's worth the wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We saw a guy whose tee shirt said that we have never tasted good fried chicken if we haven't tasted Gus's. With that advice in mind, we set out to find the place. It wasn't hard; everybody on the street knew where it was, and pointed the way. When we arrived, the sign on the door said Closed, but the sign lied. The place was mobbed. We had to join a waiting list, but the wait was worth it. We had chicken and fries, and really good collard greens, and we bought tee shirts so we can advertise the place, too.

I can't rate the bar scene, since I drank Diet Coke. I don't know about delivery, or late night, or brunch. There's no outdoor seating, and the view is of factories across the street. Reservations? It's not that kind of place.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Wrasfish
Jackson, Tennessee
“Good Fried Chicken”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Took my wife and elderly parents here. When I tried to order mild for my parents, I was surprised to find out they only have spicy. It was a bit too spicy for my parents. With that said, it was not too spicy for me and my wife and we really liked the fried chicken. If they offered a mild chicken I would definitely have rated them a 5.
Good atmosphere and friendly server.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Terry M
Austin, Texas
“The BEST SPICY Fried Chicken EVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I am soo excited bc this place is opening in Austin TX! I've been telling EVERYBODY about it bc it boasts the best spicy fried chicken we've ever tasted! Its on the spicy side so my little ones can't take it but oh boy is it good!! I wondered why it was so good when we took it to go leaving Memphis and read later that then skin the fat off and then season it-no wonder its soo crispy and not soggy fat! Its soo yummy and juicy! Maybe on the over seasoned side a bit but sooo good! Their slaw was great and fresh too-just craving it so bad! The reviews are all right-we had to get there to be one of the first in line bc people came out of nowhere to wait for once its opened. But we got there waited and hopped in line and took it to go and we were in heaven! So good and just can't wait for them to open in TX and hopefully its just as good bc this particular one is the BOMB! GO there if you are ever in town-its that's good and worth the trek to find it. Yeah parking is iffy but go early enough we parked on the street right in front and super safe there :) Enjoy the goodness!

• Visited July 2013