“BEST FRIEND CHICKEN IVE EVER EATEN”

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken
Ranked #5 of 1,436 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Sydney, Australia
“BEST FRIEND CHICKEN IVE EVER EATEN”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The reviews say it all.............the chicken is amazing and I honestly have not had better friend chicken anywhere in the world. It is not number 2 on Trip Advisor in Memphis for nothing and the chicken doesn't disappoint. My only recommendation is to try to go outside of peak times (i.e. try not to go on a weekend or public holiday) to avoid lengthy cues. We went on a Monday night and only had to wait for about 15 minutes before we were seated. Oh and another recommendation their t-shirts are really cool and cheap (I think I paid $15) I found it a unique souvenir to take home with me back to Australia! If you are in Memphis or just passing through then you gotta go to Gus's!!!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank John_Sydney_Wildlife

Pensacola, Florida
“Slap your mama good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

That is what our waitress at the Madison told us about Gus's. It was the best fried chicken I had ever ate. The collard greens are salty. Get there early for dinner, fills up fast.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Donna5528
Nashville, Tennessee
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Like fried chicken with a little heat? Then, you'll love this place. When you order the plate meal, you get beans and slaw (cole slaw). If you want different sides such as Mac n' Cheese, fries or some almost healthy veggies, you'll pay 50 cents extra. Not a bad deal. The parking lot is small, but there's parking on the side street and across the street where there's a hearse parked advertising Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken. Aside from the small dining room, there's a patio. Although this place tends to be quite busy for lunch and dinner, the service is quick, efficient and the Servers are pleasant.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank travelon2468
Arab, Alabama
“Loved it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I like to travel and try out the restaurants we have seen featured on food network. We decided to stop by Gus's for lunch and it was a great choice. The place was busy and we had to wait in line to get a table but not for too long. It is a cute diner style restaurant and was nice and clean, the staff were friendly. My husband and I absolutely loved the food. The chicken was moist and very favorable, it had a little kick to it, what ever it was battered in. My husband had fries and I had the beans and coleslaw. The coleslaw was probably the best I have ever tasted. We will certainly be returning here on our next visit to Memphis.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank laurelee35016
Memphis, Tennessee
“Not My Kind Of Fried Chicken”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I like good old-fashioned fried chicken: dredged in seasoned flour or crumbs so when it's fried it's crumbly & crisp- like grandma made. Gus' chicken, I believe is a batter dipped chicken. The chicken is encased in one big hard shell. Not crumbly with all the delicious little nooks & crannies. It's not bad, it's just not my idea of fried chicken. Been to both locations and the service was extremely slow & unwelcoming- which is why I gave 2 stars instead of 3. And WHEW! the smell of grease is strong. You can smell it for blocks away. I felt coated in when we left.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken? Share your experiences!