“Very good Sunday brunch”

Rizzos by Michael Patrick
Ranked #52 of 1,436 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: The 13 on M.A.T.A. Comes by daily. The downtown trolley line is a stones throw from the front door.
Description: Upscale diner, comfort food made from the freshest meats and vegetables available that are grown locally, and yes there will be LOBSTER PRONTO PUPS!!!!!
“Very good Sunday brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visited for Sunday brunch and were very impressed. It was predictably busy and crowded since the interior is pretty small. The food took a little longer than anticipated but was without question worth the wait. They make things fresh here and the food reflected this deliberate approach- fresh, flavorful, uniquely seasoned, and delicious.

Although they were busy the wait staff was excellent.

I can recommend both the blacked catfish eggs benedict and the traditional eggs benedict with pork tenderloin. Both were on the spicy side but well balanced so as to not be overwhelming. We will be back!

• Visited October 2012

Memphis, TN
“Pork Belly, Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I went to Rizzo's Diner for lunch recently. We went there because we are addicted to Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, which Rizzo's Diner was on recently. Plain and simple, the food was great and we had a wonderful lunch. We both started out with the cheese burger soup. They were right, it remided me of Rotel. Yum! I had the daily blue plate special. Today it consisted of Pork Belly and three sides. I chose the squash, sauted spinach and garlic mashed potatoes. Excellent! My wife had a sandwich which she loved. We both had the bread pudding for dessert. It was out of this world. Overall it was a great experience. The staff was wonderful, our waiter knowledgable and the owner/chef came by our table to make sure we were happy. We were, VERY MUCH, and will return soon. And bring friends too!

1 Thank Thomas I
Sarasota, Florida
“Unusual in Memphis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

A co-worker recommended Rizzos after his several visits. He had listened to my experiences from so many places in the US and Europe, he took a chance on sharing with me what he thought would be one of my special finds. What good advice.

The restaurant is located in the former Harry's Detour in the South Main district. Michael Patrick having worked at numerous downtown success stories, has created a gem.

My wife and I left the house for shopping today and were faced with the same dilemma each time we want a really special lunch in Memphis. I had another errand near downtown and decided to drive by the restaurant not knowing that they were also open for lunch.

While I had hoped for the lobster pronto pup (which could have been made special) or the chicken tacos or other dinner menu items, we chose the daily special. I couldn't resist the tomato crawfish chowder of the day. While my favorite chowder, Florida Keys conch chowder, is not available here or almost anywhere else, this was really good.

Rich in cream and cajun spices, the cubed potatoes and crayfish were just right.

Our special of the day, panko / bacon (ever so light) crusted catfish with a cajun hollandaise sauce was perfect. Each dish is available with three side items. We had squash casserole, cheese grits, sautéed "fresh" spinach and I had the sugar snap peas.

Ten dollars each for the daily special. Who would believe fresh fish and vegetables at lunch for such a reasonable price. Food carefully prepared and delivered so fresh to our table. They also brew a good ice tea.

The restaurant is small, but the food and the service are really worth the outing.

We almost retuned this evening for dinner. We will plan that later in the week.

Please don't miss supporting this Memphis gem.

Banning, California
“Palate Pleasn'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had a great lunch at Rizzo's. The lobster pups with wasabi dressed salad were so good - simple and clean flavors...the dressing has quite a bite and does detract from the fresh lobster flavor. You might want to eat the " scraped" lobster first and then the salad last - just sayin'. When I ordered the lobster it was not on the lunch menu - but is available. Followed with a huge portion of brisket - be warned, chef does not trim away fat.....all that yummy flavor; but alas you must "trim" your own fat. The sweet gravy from the brown sugar rub could use a bit more vinegar to balance the flavor (more like a sauerbrauten, perhaps). I managed two good sized portions from my order and the next day I had a lovely sandwich with horseradish spread. My side of Mac&Cheese was soooooooo good. Chef takes it to another level of goodness.

Aston, Pennsylvania
“No Hole in the Wall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

From the outside you wouldn't expect much. But step inside and give your tastebuds a treat. Lobster Pronto Pups were light and good tasting. The best French toast I've had in a while, because they make it Bananas Foster French Toast. My group ate there twice in two days. We sampled about 8 different things. Grits, meatloaf, duck tamale pie is highly recommended by the entire group. Don't let the staff fool you when they say that the duck tamale pie is an appetizer. This could be shared by 2-4 people as an appetizer.
I would suggest you make reservations. The place is small but loaded with good food and nice people. We found our way there on a Saturday (only a brunch menu for Saturday and Sunday) and went back on Sunday. You really need reservations for Sunday. This is a happening food spot.We can't wait for our next trip to Memphis. This is one of those destination spots. When in Memphis--go to Rizzos. Can't wait to try the other stuff on the menu that we didn't get to try.