“Restfull Night”

Ranked #15 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Restfull Night”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Couple quick right turns off the interstate and you are there. Parking is somewhat limited but adequate. The clerks were friendly and wanted to assist. Room was very good considering the internet rate. Breakfeast the next morning was good, fast and got one on their way quickly. Going West to East this was a good hotel to stop in as you are already outbound from Memphis the next morning. Just a short drive back down to Beale Street to visit the Rum Boggie Cafe which had a great Blues Band going even for a Monday night.

Room Tip: Get a room on the backside as you are pretty close to the Interstate
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I drive a lot for work, and even more for leisure. I've stayed at this hotel twice in the past year while traveling back to Baltimore. There are a few reasons why I like this hotel, and why I rank it best in the Memphis area.

First and foremost, the value is exceptional. If you're planning to spend a few days in Memphis, and don't want to get walloped in the wallet staying on Beale Street, your options in-town are limited. For about $85, you get responsive service at the desk, a larger-than-average room and a nice-sized bathroom. For breakfast, you get your basic hotel fare -- eggs, sausage or bacon, a waffle maker and choice of pastries and muffins. The bonus here is that the La Quinta provides actual plates and silverware in the breakfast room.

Second thing that I like is the location -- but that comes with a caveat. I'm a traveler, and I appreciate easy-to-find hotels close to the Interstate. The LQ is not centrally-located near the river, the Pyramid, Beale St., Graceland or anything touristy. You are not in an exceptionally upper-middle class suburb. But the hotel is located near the confluence of I-40 and the Memphis beltway (240), so it's easily accessible if you're driving around the city or through it.

Finally, the hotel has some nice intangibles. Washer and dryer upstairs (coin-operated, $2.00 each load). Carpeted areas in the stairwell so the floors aren't slick. This LQ is a non-smoking hotel, which I appreciate. I do not begrudge smokers and have no problem with hotels providing smoking and non-smoking rooms for their guests if there is a profitable market for that. However, I prefer non-smoking hotels and liked the clean air here. The rooms are extremely clean, the TV has a plethora of channels, and the service staff are well-dressed, professional and polite. And, as I mentioned, silverware in the breakfast room is appreciated.

The LQ is being remodeled, which sometimes turns off the snooty and snobbish middle-class aristocrats. I have no problems with entrepreneurship or progress in the private sector, and found the work being done in the lobby to be quiet and completely out-of-the-way. I'm sure the lobby will look lovely when they are done. This is also a pet-friendly hotel, although I didn't hear any dogs and didn't mind sharing our elevator with a young German shepherd afraid of the stairwell.

At check-out, I had the opportunity to speak with the manager, Mr. Patel, and found him to be a very gracious host who was legitimately interested in the quality and comfort of my stay. I want to thank him for the courteous service, good value, and clean room after a long day on the road. When next I am traveling through Memphis, I will return to the LQ.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sean L
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was definitely an over-rated hotel. I chose it because it had so many good ratings, but I was slightly disappointed.
Service:
Neal at the front desk was the most disappointing. We got there, checked in, and things were good. We got up to the room, and it was the room right next to the elevator. Now, my mother does not sleep well. You could call her the Princess and the Pea. She is a VERY light sleeper, so being next to an elevator is not good for her. So I went down to talk to Neal at the front desk to ask for another room. Mind you, it was pretty empty at the hotel. I told him we needed another room because we were by the elevator. He said that we wouldn't hear anything. I told him we were light sleepers. He then told me that if we heard any noise, he would give us a 100% REFUND. I pushed more, got resistance from him along with a glib attitude, and I eventually got another room. Guess what? It was still very noisy. I had a hard time sleeping, and I don't usually have problems. The door was transparent. You could hear voices, doors, and even footsteps over the A/C. Disappointing...
Value/Quality:
Unimpressive. Things looked new, worked fine, but not exceptional like I was expecting based on the reviews. Breakfast was nothing great. Hot breakfast included waffles and very suspicious looking bacon. And don't eat the eggs! They are in the mini fridge in patty form. You have to warm them up in the microwave. The texture and taste was suspicious (aka they didn't taste like eggs). They had a limited selection, and hardly any fruit - only bananas I believe.
Sleep Quality:
The beds were alright, nothing exceptional. The noise level was too loud. The doors were transparent sound-wise. There were no extra blankets and no comforters on the bed. There was a sheet and two thin blankets. The A/C is "bionic", as in it gets really cold, really fast.
Cleanliness:
Everyone says it was fine, but I did read one review on here that said her feet were dirty from the carpet. Boy was she right. After walking around the room in our socks for less than 5 minutes, the bottoms were brown. I was shocked! I walked around in my shoes for the rest of the time there.
Housekeeping:
They start knocking on doors between 7 and 7:30. We were still in bed, and we could hear them knocking on someone else's door a couple rooms down. And they were relentless! I recommend putting out your Do Not Disturb sign the night before.
Location:
If you are visiting the University of Memphis, it is maybe a 10 minute drive. To downtown/Midtown, it was a 20-30 minute drive. This doesn't bother me at all, but to some it might. There was food and what not right by the hotel, but if you came to see Downtown/Midtown/Mud Island, it is a little bit of a drive. Parking, from the looks of it, was fairly cheap. All kinds of parking options too. I recommend Beale St. and Mud Island Park. Beale St. was family friendly, and Mud Island Park was just cool.
Rooms:
Unimpressive. Bionic A/C. If you care about watching TV, our room only had a remote for the DirectTV box. You could not change the volume or turn on the TV from that one remote. Though it was big, it was not a good quality.
I am not a hotel snob, and I don't expect perfection. But based on these reviews, I found myself disappointed, and I do not recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an exceptional hotel.

Room Tip: Put out your Do Not Disturb sign the night before. Housekeeping starts knocking between 7 and 7:30am...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Veronica I
Angleton, Texas
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Great stay! We stopped here on a long road trip. I chose it because of the Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. Clean and comfortable room. The staff helped us find a place to park our giant moving van. Breakfast was good. We were able to get rested and back on the road. My only advice would be to NOT eat at the nearby Wendy's.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Karen M
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Warm welcoming staff, ultra nice lobby, and comfy beds. Only real complaint is that the room layout was a bit clunky as I had to step around and through some things to get to the door....might not be a good thing in the event of a fire. Could be too that I just got an odd room. Next time I stay I'll be requesting a different room, but I will stay again as the prices were decent. Views of the city not bad and breakfast was decent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo