“Thanksgiving stay for family”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar
Ranked #17 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Reservations were easy to book and change.great way to stay. we'll use them in the future. Complimentary meals provided were a huge bonus to cut our eating out bills. pleasant family atmosphere. shopping areas were very close by.

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We were traveling to visit family in Texas and made this hotel as our stop for the night. Our reservations were made to have two rooms close together but we ware assigned rooms that were far apart. The front desk clerk was very helpful in meeting our needs. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was ample enough that we were able to skip a stop on our journey. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Memphis area

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is the place we choose to stay whenever we're in Memphis. The suite is like an apartment and feel very homey. Despite being sandwhiched between the Eastbound and Westbound lanes of Poplar Avenue, it is pleasantly quiet and peaceful. The room is clean, and the housekeeping service is excellent. There are a lot of electrical plugs too, for charging your cell phones, laptop, camera, etc. The price of the room also includes a hot breakfast every day and dinner on Monday - Thursday. This place has all the comforts of home while away from home.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The staff at this hotel, from the desk clerk to the reception/breakfast hostesses, made me feel like I was coming home. I had just ended a 5 1/2 drive in the rain and their pleasant and friendly welcome was a wonderful surprise.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This had become our go-to hotel in Memphis. Like the location, like the suite vs. hotel room, and in numerous previous visits had been very pleased. But this weekend we encountered enumerable problems: our first room was ice cold, so we turned up the heat and went out to dinner, but when we returned the thermostat still said 59 degrees. We notified the front desk, a maintenance person came, cranked thermostat up as high as it would go and said the heat should kick in within 30 minutes, but 30 minutes later we were still freezing, so we had to pack up everything we had unpacked and move to another room. The heat worked in this room, but the clock was not properly set, and no one at the front desk could show us how to change the time on the clock so an "engineer" had to come to our room, though not exactly promptly. In addition, the next day when we got ready to heat up some food we had purchased at Whole Foods, we discovered that the dishes were filthy dirty; obviously the previous guests had not turned on the dishwasher, nor had housekeeping checked to see status of dishes, silverware, glasses, etc. Furthermore, after Thanksgiving dinner out with our family, we returned to our room to watch the remainder of the Cowboys' game on TV, however all channels under 30 on both TV's showed "No signal". We reported this to the front desk, but 45 minutes later when no one had come to check it out, we walked to the front desk and the person on duty there then knew nothing about our problem. The maintenance guy then came to our room, fooled around with cables on both TV's, but in the end made no progress. He said he would let the front desk know, but we did not hear anything from the front desk or anyone else again that night or the following morning. We will look for a new go-to place in Memphis. By the way, if you cared to check out my other reviews you would see that I have never in 100+ reviews rated any hotel or restaurant this low, simply because we have not had as bad an experience in the 6 or 7 years I have been tuned in to TripAdvisor.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Nice hotel and room. We were able to park in front of the room.The only problem was the heating unit was loud when the heat cut on. The staff was friendly and called me to find out was everything satisfactory.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

It's not often I give a poor review, but in this case, well, it is necessary. There were some positives but mostly the room and immediate surrounds were very very poor. The hotel even emailed me afterwards to ask about my stay, and I provided them with a detailed response, which is below, but no response, no thank you, nothing to address my concerns. Which does kind of confirm my belief and experience during my entire stay that they just don't care. Stay somewhere else!!

And here's the email:

Thank you for your email. I've stayed in a few Homewood Suite locations now and am generally quite happy. However, my last stay at your location was somewhat of a mixed result.

Your communal areas, lounge and reception area were all terrific and very well presented, but this was badly let down by the room itself. The dead give away should have been the seemingly abandoned car in the parking lot near my room, but it got worse from there. Despite being a two bedroom suite (and being able to accommodate at least 4 adults) there were only 2 dining chairs, of which one was so rickety and unstable we thought it would collapse. I'm not sure why 4 chairs wouldn't be placed in such a large suite but it seems very strange and unwelcoming to me.

And then there was the sofa -- that was so worn that it was uncomfortable to sit on -- and the fact that remnants of chips were found under one of our beds just added to the overall disappointment.

At night, I think the owners of the abandoned car would come back and hold a party in the parking lot, with music blaring and loud talking until they finally got discovered or simply got bored and left of their own volition, yet then again at 3am in the morning, the damage had already been done and sleep for everyone well and truly interrupted. Why there isn't some type of security presence at night to stop this behaviour is and disruption for guests is a reasonable question to pose.

The circulating and swooping wasps and hornets at the front door just added to the intrigue/disappointment but I'm sure was ok for them as they busily built a potential new nest to call home.

So, as you can gather, I was very disappointed with my stay especially as I had brought other people with me and had spoken highly to them of the standard of Homewood Suites and the overall value for money. Alas, not this time and one that will unfortunately now make me re-think my future reservations.

Kind regards,