“Three Star”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar
Ranked #19 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Nice hotel and room. We were able to park in front of the room.The only problem was the heating unit was loud when the heat cut on. The staff was friendly and called me to find out was everything satisfactory.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed November 20, 2013

It's not often I give a poor review, but in this case, well, it is necessary. There were some positives but mostly the room and immediate surrounds were very very poor. The hotel even emailed me afterwards to ask about my stay, and I provided them with a detailed response, which is below, but no response, no thank you, nothing to address my concerns. Which does kind of confirm my belief and experience during my entire stay that they just don't care. Stay somewhere else!!

And here's the email:

Thank you for your email. I've stayed in a few Homewood Suite locations now and am generally quite happy. However, my last stay at your location was somewhat of a mixed result.

Your communal areas, lounge and reception area were all terrific and very well presented, but this was badly let down by the room itself. The dead give away should have been the seemingly abandoned car in the parking lot near my room, but it got worse from there. Despite being a two bedroom suite (and being able to accommodate at least 4 adults) there were only 2 dining chairs, of which one was so rickety and unstable we thought it would collapse. I'm not sure why 4 chairs wouldn't be placed in such a large suite but it seems very strange and unwelcoming to me.

And then there was the sofa -- that was so worn that it was uncomfortable to sit on -- and the fact that remnants of chips were found under one of our beds just added to the overall disappointment.

At night, I think the owners of the abandoned car would come back and hold a party in the parking lot, with music blaring and loud talking until they finally got discovered or simply got bored and left of their own volition, yet then again at 3am in the morning, the damage had already been done and sleep for everyone well and truly interrupted. Why there isn't some type of security presence at night to stop this behaviour is and disruption for guests is a reasonable question to pose.

The circulating and swooping wasps and hornets at the front door just added to the intrigue/disappointment but I'm sure was ok for them as they busily built a potential new nest to call home.

So, as you can gather, I was very disappointed with my stay especially as I had brought other people with me and had spoken highly to them of the standard of Homewood Suites and the overall value for money. Alas, not this time and one that will unfortunately now make me re-think my future reservations.

Kind regards,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2013

When ever I'm in memphis this location is where i'll stay. They're always pleasant and I never have an issue. I've always been a Hilton Honors Member but it does make a different in which chain of Hilton Hotels you stay at as well. They always welcome me as an Honors Member and are there for anything I need. Love this place.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I've visited Memphis before but this was my first time staying at this Homewood Suites (I've stayed at a Homewood Suites in Atlanta and Windsor Locks, CT). So, my expectations were very high. This Homewood Suites exceeded those expectations. Because I do not have much space, I will say this -- the staff was SPECTACULAR, AWESOME location (close to shopping, restaurants, airport, downtown, etc.) and my stay was GREAT (property & suites were beautiful). The food was delicious as well. Thank you to everyone at Homewood Suites East Memphis for making my stay an enjoyable & memorable one.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Before I checked in, I indicated that the lower outside door was missing part of the rubber seal. The missing seal protects the room from the outside environment (bugs). I discussed the problem with the woman at the front desk and she placed me in room 114. However, the bath tub would not drain in that room. Since, the hotel was full; I agreed to stay in room 245 as long as maintenance repaired the door seal. One hour after arriving in room 245, I received a welcome call. Again, I told the woman that I would appreciate the door being fixed at some point. The woman seemed in a hurry to get me off the phone and then say thank you. The employees that work the food side of your hotel are fantastic. They went out of their way in helping me with food items. The front desk needs to take a few lessons from those that care about their customers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable accommodations. Stayed for business. Breakfast and dinner were good. Staff very friendly! Went out of their way to be helpful. Lobby has nice new contemporary decor. Workout room was nice and new. Pool area was pretty. Rooms need to be remodeled next. Overall a good place to stay!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is a good location in Memphis but the room floors were not real clean and light bulbs were burned out. The rags at breakfast were terrible. They had ice machine problems so the juices were warm. Management said they were working in issues I presented. They gave me some extra points on my account. Might stay there again if they fix the problems

• Stayed: October 2013