“large rooms, parking can be a pain.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar
Ranked #23 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a large Homewood suites property, and they have separate buildings. Parking can fill up early, and you may have to park at a different building than the one you are staying in. Rooms are starting to show a little bit of age, but are still very decent.

If you pass the entrance to the hotel, you will have to circle back, as the hotel is located on a one way street. Staff was nice.

Room Tip: parking fills up quickly, breakfast area is busy in the morning.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank onebadgolfer
Corey C, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hello onebadgolfer,

Thank you for submitting a review from your stay with the Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis East to our TripAdvisor community. We thoroughly appreciate your feedback and the tips provided to our followers. As you mentioned, we have a large property that consists of both interior and exterior entry rooms. There is ample parking on property even on peak nights but please note we do provide complimentary airport transportation and shuttle service within a 5 mile radius. The convenient location can be difficult to access upon first visit so I suggest calling the hotel before arrival if it is your first time staying with us. The Front Desk is willing to assist you in any means possible and can be reached by dialing (901) 763-0500. They will be happy to set up your next reservation as we look forward to welcoming you home!

Best regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were in Memphis to visit family, and will return to the Homewood Suites, Poplar Ave. again and again. Our suite provided a kitchenette, comfortable living area, and separate bedroom. We unpacked and stayed 4 nights. I highly recommend it!

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
1  Thank Leigh Anne B
Corey C, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Leigh Anne B,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis East while visiting family in the Memphis area. We greatly appreciate the feedback that you have provided the TripAdvisor community. Our all suite property means that every room has a full kitchen, work desk, and a separate living and sleeping area so I am happy that you found comfort in our spacious accommodations. The hotel is great for both short term stays and extended stays. Please do not hesitate to give us a call the next time you are traveling into Memphis!

Warm regards,

Corey C.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was the first time staying at this location. The suite was spacious and very clean. I was really impressed with the personalized welcome letter in my room. The ENTIRE staff was friendly and welcoming to my entire family. The breakfast hosts/hostesses did not only answer my questions about the location of items I overlooked, they walked me over to the items to ensure I found them. The hotel is in a safe and convenient location. I will definitely stay here again!

1  Thank MSV542

Hi MSV542,

Thank you choosing to stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis East. We are happy to welcome all first time guests as we are positive our services and amenities will warrant future stays. Our all suite style hotel features a clean and spacious room with separate living and sleeping areas. The staff is quick to welcome you as a part of our family will make sure that comfort is provided throughout your time with us. Please join us during your next trip to Memphis!

Best,

Reviewed July 4, 2013

After our last stay at a Homewood property (Carlsbad, CA) we looked for one in Memphis... We should have kept looking. The poor experiences started before we checked in. We called several times to see if we could check in early. The employees we clueless and didn't know if our room was ready or not. As a result, we changed our travel plans and arrived at the 4pm check-in time. The employees (two trainees according to their badges) still had no idea if our room was ready. And it wasn't just us! Another customer was going through the same thing. They didn't know that status of their rooms and as a result were running around like lost sheep. I chalk that up to poor management on multiple accounts. Why even have two trainees working the desk alone in the first place?

It gets worse - the property features a basketball court in its center. Around 6pm local neighborhood kids begin streaming into the property and hooping it up. The court features lights which don't turn off 'til 10 so if you are trying to get to sleep early for an early morning flight don't bother (unless the thumping of a basketball helps you doze off).

I won't be back.

2  Thank Robert T

HI Robert T,

Thank you for submitting your experience at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis East to the TripAdvisor community. Please note that we take all guest feedback seriously as we use it to enhance our product and offerings. With that, all guests are treated equal. I apologize for the inconveniences felt from our guests during the AAU National Basketball Championship. This city-wide event attracted teams from across the country and sold out many hotels in the Memphis area. We were honored to have a few teams as our guests and allowed them use of the facilities including our outdoor basketball court. Like the seasonal pool, the courtyard area is under a 10 pm curfew. I'm happy to hear that we could accommodate you at the time of check-in, 4 pm. During peak days, it may be difficult to guarantee an early check-in as a lot goes into preparing a room for our next guest's arrival so I'm sorry if this miscommunication posed an issue for you and your family. While staff may be in training, please know that supervisors are monitoring their efforts throughout the course of a day and are readily available should support be needed. I hope that this one experience did not put a damper on your trip and time with us. Please give me a call should you want to discuss your stay further - 901.763.0500.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Meaning, some rooms are good, some rooms are horrible

I don't recommend this hotel. We had reserved a King suite room and chose this hotel based on this room. There were several of us traveling and we like staying all in a suite so we can visit.

We arrived at the hotel around noon to make sure we knew where it was, checked with the front desk to see what time our room would be ready. They told us around three. We came back at three and was told our room wasn't ready, so we sat in the lobby. At about 430 I went back to the front desk to ask about our room and it was then we were told the room we booked was not available, the people in it decided to extend their stay.

I've asked to do that at other hotels and been told no, because the room was booked. apparently this doesn't matter.

We were given a different room for the night, and it was disgusting. It was clearly a neglected room. The AC did not work, when I opened the closet panel it was filthy. We were extremely hot all night because it didn't work right and was very noisy.

The dishwasher didn't work right. When I went to get a cup out of it, the dishes in it, were caked with food. The dishwasher had been run because the dishes were warm.

Also the towel rack in the bathroom was rusted and pitted and should have been replaced ages ago. The GFCI faceplate in the kitchen had no screw and fell off. If maintenance is this lacking, It made us wonder what else isn't being done at this property.

The next morning, I gave the front desk a list of what was wrong with the room and they did send a maintenance man the next day to start working on the room, so I give them credit for that. This first room I would give a one star, actually a negative one star.

We were told we'd be switched to our room the next morning I was given keys to a King suite, but when I moved all our luggage over and entered the room, it was clear we were assigned a smoking room. So back to the front desk I went, and when I told them, they said that room wasn't a smoking room, but they would see what was going on - the room was clearly a smoking room the room did not have a no smoking sign on the door.

We finally got keys to our other room and it was good. There was a small amount of rusting on the towel rack but not like the other room. This room I would give a 3, so I averaged that together to come up with the overall 2

The breakfast at this hotel was nice with an assortment of hot and cold cereal, pastries, waffles, fruit and yogurt. Coffee is available all day which was nice. Vickie, who worked at breakfast was very lovely and nice and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing her in the mornings and she put a smile on our faces. The young ladies working the front desk were nice as well.

A light dinner is available at night, nothing spectacular, a small salad bar and entree and veg. This was nice because you didn't have to go out for dinner. I think a good marketing idea would be to bring food in from local restaurants, a cross promotion type thing.

This hotel is near nothing touristy, so if you stay here you have to drive to everything. also getting to the hotel is very tricky because of how it is situated. I had a co-pilot and we still missed the entrance at least once. If you are by yourself, boot up the directions on your phone or hope your car has a GPS.

We were compensated for the first night, but we wanted the room we booked, not to be stuck in a room that nobody should have stayed in. I'd be reluctant to book at any Hilton hotel if they give away rooms.

I wrote to corporate, and management at this hotel it took several days for a response, when I did get one it said they had 3 days to investigate it, and I didn't get a response for a week. What I would have liked would have been an apology, saying they are looking into maintenance issues to make sure there hotels are well maintained and keeping guests happy. I'm being sent a coupon for a free night's stay. Big whoop.

PS i have photos of the icky room to prove I'm not making this up, but will be nice and not post them.

Room Tip: If you get a nice room, you are fine, get the horrible one we got the first night and its a miserab...

Hi Lisa N,

Thank you for submitting a review to the TripAdvisor community. I am sorry to hear that you had a less than satisfactory stay with us as it is our goal to exceed expectations during all guest visits. We schedule all rooms on a consistent basis for deep cleanings and pay special attention to rooms that require more work than others. We appreciate you expressing the displeasure with the first room and presenting the issues to maintenance so we could address them. I'm happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you in a room that matched your expectations. As you mentioned, our staff is readily available to help throughout all departments. The complimentary breakfast and dinner service are all-inclusive with your room rate, allowing you to relax and save some money at the same time. If you feel that our service and accommodations still did not meet your expectations, please ask to speak with a member of management by calling (901) 763-0500.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I will start with the good. The breakfast was good. We stayed for two days and they had eggs, biscuits, waffles, fruit cereal and other things. The staff was really nice and helpful. The rooms were Terrible. Our first room a 2 bedroom suite had a toilet seat off. We called and were moved quickly...great staff. The second room was the same setup. The room was not clean. Several stains on the carpet and dust all over the vents. Chipped paint in several places. It was a suite with two bedrooms but only had a small table with 2 chairs and no dishes other than a serving spoon. The sheets are low quality and would not stay on bed. The towels were dingy and poor quality. There was room above and you could hear every step. We often stay at Homewood and the quality was much less than normal. The area was nice but not worth the cost of the room. There was a Marriott next door...maybe stay there.

1  Thank ValOllieHawk

Hi ValOllieHawk,

Please know that we greatly appreciate the feedback as it only allows us to better the product and services that we can offer. I am happy to hear that you had some success during your stay. The daily hot breakfast features a variety of options and is provided complimentary with your stay. As you mentioned, it is a goal of the staff to make you feel welcome and appreciated as we realize there are other options in the area so we thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm sorry that the room conditions did not meet your expectations. Please give me a call as I'd love to hear more regarding how we can improve our hotel. (901) 763-0500

Thanks,

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My extended family was at the hotel to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday and really enjoyed the stay. The hotel was clean, the furnishings were nice, the beds were comfortable. The staff, especially the van driver was very attentive to our needs, especially those of my mom. The lobby/eating area made it ideal for the reunion as it provided a really nice comfortable space to wait while everyone gathered to headout to our various destinations or just to sit and talk. The pool was clean and well cared for and they even had a barbeque grill for our use. There is a complimentary van that will take you to various locations within 5 miles which cut down on driving. We all agreed we will definitely stay at this location again. My cons were access to the hotel. There is a rather tricky turn getting there but for the price we paid it was something we could take in stride. The other item I had problems with is that I left some items in my room and it took a bit of time and phone calls before they were mailed to me however that incident doesn't deter my enthusiasm for the hotel though. I highly recommend it.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Corey C, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Hello again!

Thank you so much for choosing to host your family gathering with us. We thoroughly enjoyed providing the utmost in hospitality and comfort to this group of family and friends as it was a very special event. We do appreciate you submitting a review and such a great one at that! As you mentioned, the lobby and lodge area is a wonderful place to gather for meals or as a group waiting on our complimentary shuttle transportation. We encourage all guests to take advantage of this space at their leisure. Our courtyard is comprised of an outdoor kitchen with two stainless steel grills, a seasonal pool, and a basketball court. The very convenient location at the intersection of I-240 and Poplar Avenue can be difficult to access due to the one-way usage on Poplar where the hotel is situated. It's great that we were able to locate your items and mail them back to you! Our housekeeping staff will collect these left behind items for guests to claim. Again, thank you for the review and please do not hesitate to contact us in the future!

Best,