“This is the Jekyl and Hyde of Hotels”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar
Ranked #23 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Meaning, some rooms are good, some rooms are horrible

I don't recommend this hotel. We had reserved a King suite room and chose this hotel based on this room. There were several of us traveling and we like staying all in a suite so we can visit.

We arrived at the hotel around noon to make sure we knew where it was, checked with the front desk to see what time our room would be ready. They told us around three. We came back at three and was told our room wasn't ready, so we sat in the lobby. At about 430 I went back to the front desk to ask about our room and it was then we were told the room we booked was not available, the people in it decided to extend their stay.

I've asked to do that at other hotels and been told no, because the room was booked. apparently this doesn't matter.

We were given a different room for the night, and it was disgusting. It was clearly a neglected room. The AC did not work, when I opened the closet panel it was filthy. We were extremely hot all night because it didn't work right and was very noisy.

The dishwasher didn't work right. When I went to get a cup out of it, the dishes in it, were caked with food. The dishwasher had been run because the dishes were warm.

Also the towel rack in the bathroom was rusted and pitted and should have been replaced ages ago. The GFCI faceplate in the kitchen had no screw and fell off. If maintenance is this lacking, It made us wonder what else isn't being done at this property.

The next morning, I gave the front desk a list of what was wrong with the room and they did send a maintenance man the next day to start working on the room, so I give them credit for that. This first room I would give a one star, actually a negative one star.

We were told we'd be switched to our room the next morning I was given keys to a King suite, but when I moved all our luggage over and entered the room, it was clear we were assigned a smoking room. So back to the front desk I went, and when I told them, they said that room wasn't a smoking room, but they would see what was going on - the room was clearly a smoking room the room did not have a no smoking sign on the door.

We finally got keys to our other room and it was good. There was a small amount of rusting on the towel rack but not like the other room. This room I would give a 3, so I averaged that together to come up with the overall 2

The breakfast at this hotel was nice with an assortment of hot and cold cereal, pastries, waffles, fruit and yogurt. Coffee is available all day which was nice. Vickie, who worked at breakfast was very lovely and nice and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing her in the mornings and she put a smile on our faces. The young ladies working the front desk were nice as well.

A light dinner is available at night, nothing spectacular, a small salad bar and entree and veg. This was nice because you didn't have to go out for dinner. I think a good marketing idea would be to bring food in from local restaurants, a cross promotion type thing.

This hotel is near nothing touristy, so if you stay here you have to drive to everything. also getting to the hotel is very tricky because of how it is situated. I had a co-pilot and we still missed the entrance at least once. If you are by yourself, boot up the directions on your phone or hope your car has a GPS.

We were compensated for the first night, but we wanted the room we booked, not to be stuck in a room that nobody should have stayed in. I'd be reluctant to book at any Hilton hotel if they give away rooms.

I wrote to corporate, and management at this hotel it took several days for a response, when I did get one it said they had 3 days to investigate it, and I didn't get a response for a week. What I would have liked would have been an apology, saying they are looking into maintenance issues to make sure there hotels are well maintained and keeping guests happy. I'm being sent a coupon for a free night's stay. Big whoop.

PS i have photos of the icky room to prove I'm not making this up, but will be nice and not post them.

Room Tip: If you get a nice room, you are fine, get the horrible one we got the first night and its a miserab...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Corey C, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hi Lisa N,

Thank you for submitting a review to the TripAdvisor community. I am sorry to hear that you had a less than satisfactory stay with us as it is our goal to exceed expectations during all guest visits. We schedule all rooms on a consistent basis for deep cleanings and pay special attention to rooms that require more work than others. We appreciate you expressing the displeasure with the first room and presenting the issues to maintenance so we could address them. I'm happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you in a room that matched your expectations. As you mentioned, our staff is readily available to help throughout all departments. The complimentary breakfast and dinner service are all-inclusive with your room rate, allowing you to relax and save some money at the same time. If you feel that our service and accommodations still did not meet your expectations, please ask to speak with a member of management by calling (901) 763-0500.

Director of Sales

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I will start with the good. The breakfast was good. We stayed for two days and they had eggs, biscuits, waffles, fruit cereal and other things. The staff was really nice and helpful. The rooms were Terrible. Our first room a 2 bedroom suite had a toilet seat off. We called and were moved quickly...great staff. The second room was the same setup. The room was not clean. Several stains on the carpet and dust all over the vents. Chipped paint in several places. It was a suite with two bedrooms but only had a small table with 2 chairs and no dishes other than a serving spoon. The sheets are low quality and would not stay on bed. The towels were dingy and poor quality. There was room above and you could hear every step. We often stay at Homewood and the quality was much less than normal. The area was nice but not worth the cost of the room. There was a Marriott next door...maybe stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ValOllieHawk

Hi ValOllieHawk,

Please know that we greatly appreciate the feedback as it only allows us to better the product and services that we can offer. I am happy to hear that you had some success during your stay. The daily hot breakfast features a variety of options and is provided complimentary with your stay. As you mentioned, it is a goal of the staff to make you feel welcome and appreciated as we realize there are other options in the area so we thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm sorry that the room conditions did not meet your expectations. Please give me a call as I'd love to hear more regarding how we can improve our hotel. (901) 763-0500

Thanks,

Director of Sales

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My extended family was at the hotel to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday and really enjoyed the stay. The hotel was clean, the furnishings were nice, the beds were comfortable. The staff, especially the van driver was very attentive to our needs, especially those of my mom. The lobby/eating area made it ideal for the reunion as it provided a really nice comfortable space to wait while everyone gathered to headout to our various destinations or just to sit and talk. The pool was clean and well cared for and they even had a barbeque grill for our use. There is a complimentary van that will take you to various locations within 5 miles which cut down on driving. We all agreed we will definitely stay at this location again. My cons were access to the hotel. There is a rather tricky turn getting there but for the price we paid it was something we could take in stride. The other item I had problems with is that I left some items in my room and it took a bit of time and phone calls before they were mailed to me however that incident doesn't deter my enthusiasm for the hotel though. I highly recommend it.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Corey C, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Hello again!

Thank you so much for choosing to host your family gathering with us. We thoroughly enjoyed providing the utmost in hospitality and comfort to this group of family and friends as it was a very special event. We do appreciate you submitting a review and such a great one at that! As you mentioned, the lobby and lodge area is a wonderful place to gather for meals or as a group waiting on our complimentary shuttle transportation. We encourage all guests to take advantage of this space at their leisure. Our courtyard is comprised of an outdoor kitchen with two stainless steel grills, a seasonal pool, and a basketball court. The very convenient location at the intersection of I-240 and Poplar Avenue can be difficult to access due to the one-way usage on Poplar where the hotel is situated. It's great that we were able to locate your items and mail them back to you! Our housekeeping staff will collect these left behind items for guests to claim. Again, thank you for the review and please do not hesitate to contact us in the future!

Best,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Actually this hotel is a great place, we just happened to have a dark and dreary room which caused us to not view the stay as good as it could have been. It is difficult to wake up in the morning and your living area is still dark. It put a cloud over the experience. We stayed out of the room as much as possible. Getting in and out of the hotel was difficult. We passed it up several times. It is hidden in the Marriott parking lot.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for posting a review on our TripAdvisor page. We are happy to receive feedback as it helps us improve the quality of our product. It is possible that some suites may receive less natural light than others due to the landscaping of our property. We do have maintenance readily available to provide assistance in the case of a burned out/dim light bulb. I'd love to hear more from you regarding your stay so please do not hesitate to contact me at (901) 763-0500.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have stayed at other Homewood Suites, so I was excited for my stay here at the Memphis-Poplar location. When I entered my room a strong musty order just hit me in the face. I was very concerned as I had my 4 month old son with me. The smell lasted all 3 days while I was there and the hotel was booked. At night our room was facing Poplar and it was very noisy. Then on a Saturday morning at 5:55 am there was garbage pickup. It was very loud and woke everyone up. Very dissapointed.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My first time to stay here and it was a great stay. The staff were very friendly, helpful, and their appearance and demeanor was excellent. The rooms were spacious and clean. The buffet breakfast was much better than the run of the mill buffets at other hotels with lots of food choices. The evening meal was also a free buffet. The menu for each evening was posted in the room on the refrigerator. The evening I ate there lasagna was the main course with garlic bread, salad and vegetables. They even had beer taps included in the meal. Definitely on my list of hotels to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Harry W

Hello Harry W,

We want to thank you for staying at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis East and submitting such a great review to the TripAdvisor community. Our professional and eager to help team members are excited to welcome you home and allow relaxation throughout your stay. The complimentary Evening Manager's Reception Dinner is provided Monday through Thursday with new entrees every night of the month, two different beers on tap, and a full salad bar. I'm happy that you were able to enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast and the variety of options that we offer. Give us a call the next time you're coming to Memphis and we will be happy to set you up with accommodations!

Best regards,

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I would stay here again. Excellent staff. Good breakfast. Weekend stay and did not partake of weekday evening food. If your room has a fireplace, you may note a smokey smell, otherwise the place was immaculate. Could hear my upstairs neighbors on occasion. Read directions on how to get onto hotel property ahead of arrival, especially if you arrive at night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Melvin W,

We greatly appreciate your review of the beautiful Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis East. We thank you for choosing to stay with us on a summer weekend. The staff looks forward to greeting our guests upon arrival and guaranteeing comfort throughout the stay. The spacious accommodations in our suite style rooms and daily hot breakfast provide luxury at a reasonable cost with our all-inclusive amenities. Sometimes locating the hotel can be challenging so thank you for sharing the tip with the TripAdvisor community. We have front desk staff around the clock who are available to provide directions for all current and future guests by calling (901) 763-0500. Thank you again for such a kind review!

All the best,