“Inconvenient location, decent facilities”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar
Ranked #17 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
San Diego, California
“Inconvenient location, decent facilities”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I normally stay at the Memphis Hilton or at the Embassy Suites, but on this trip, both were booked. So, I stayed within the Hilton family (have to get those points) and made a reservation at the Homewood. This hotel is located on a virtual island between the east and west bound lanes of Poplar, with the interstate on the west end. Getting in and out is a real pain.

The property is dated, dingy and my room was quite musty. It looks like some apartments were converted into an extended stay hotel at some point, but who knows. If you are going to be staying for a while, the Homewood might be a good choice as it has a small kitchenette and a separate living room.

I did partake in the evening reception which was just OK. Many of the guests were clearly making a meal out of the fare, but it was more like heavy appetizers, none of which was healthy. I had some small bites and a beer after checking in, and that was enough to tide me over until my client was ready for a late dinner.

The room showed its age and although it wasn't dirty, it's wasn't very clean either. I might choose to give up my points next time if the Hilton or the Embassy aren't available.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Michelle M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay with us and we appreciate your feedback on our hotel. We understand that the hotel is not the easiest to get in and out of and do our best to assist guests in finding it. Thank you for your feedback on the room and the managers reception. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Great facility! Great evening meals Monday - Thursday! Good breakfasts daily!
Beautiful landscaping. Wonderful spacious suites.

The complex is designed for extended stays, but has maid service every day. We were in building B which has inside corridors. It was very quiet even tho the hotel is basically between the east and west lanes of Hwy 240.

The entrance is difficult when coming from downtown Memphis as it is a merge into highway traffic with an immediate slow down for the hotel entrance. But after a couple of attempts, I felt comfortable with it.

We would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Make your first drive into the hotel by coming from 240E. It is a left lane entrance. There are 2...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MsSophiemorgan
TX
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I stayed here a few days while I was in Memphis, TN for business. The facility has many offerings with breakfast, evening meals a few nights a week, a hotel, gym, etc., none of which I had the time to partake.

I was looking for a room that had a kitchenette, fast, reliable internet, places that would deliver food when I needed it, and comfortable, quiet surroundings that allowed me to sleep when I could. This hotel delivered all with flying colors. There is a Kroger grocery store just a few miles south on the left where I stocked up on water and snacks. There were several fast food restaurants between the two, there are likely other places to eat as well, but I was on too tight a schedule to notice.

The hotel is very clean, neat, and well organized. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. They are located right near the SE corner of the I240 loop, so they're very convenient to most locations in Memphis. I will likely stay here every time I have to go to Memphis.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed at this Homewood during a cross-country road trip and selected the hotel mainly because it was pet-friendly. The grounds are well-maintained and the main lobby and dining area are updated and comfortable. The rooms, however, show a little more wear and tear, the buildings are a bit older and it does show. Navigating to the hotel, which is located on an island in the center of a highway loop, can prove difficult the first time. The location can also lend itself to difficult sleeping conditions, we were toward the back of the property and the street noise level was quite high. We were traveling with our dog and were told that he was only allowed in the designated pet area, which unfortunately was clear across the property from our room. The walk to the pet area was a bit frightening, as the main entry road was right next to our narrow path and cars were whizzing past us at high speeds. Overall, the bed was comfortable, the room was spacious and the breakfast was good but the location might deter me from choosing this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a pet, ask for a room in a building close to the designated outdoor pet ar...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I was so very impressed with the friendly staff at this hotel. I will definately be back to this hotel when in the area!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tupelo, Mississippi
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Sadly, we were only here for one hectic night.. My husband and I both commented.. this is the kind of place we'd like to "hide away" at for a week. It is right in the middle of all sorts of activities, and yet so quiet! The staff is always agreeable and the room is always immaculate. The bed rivals the one we have at home. WE LOVE This hotel. You will NOT go wrong staying, booking here!

Room Tip: I have stayed in three different building there with three different accesses.. all three were equal...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Greenbrier, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2011

It doesn't get any better than a stay at the hotel! The staff were extremely accommodating and willing to assist with any of our needs!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple