All reviewskress buildingmain streettrolley linebeale stvalet parkingwithin walking distancecourt squareself parkfew blocksbreakfast roomoatmealmud islandsitting areasofa bedfree breakfastcivil rights museumwould stay here again
Reviewed March 1, 2010

This hotel was great! My husband and I went to a Memphis Grizzlies game for the night and wanted somewhere that was close to the Fed Ex Forum and Beale St. This was a perfect location. We were able to ride the trolley to Beale St. and walk right down into the excitement! I felt very safe and taken care of with this hotel and we WILL be staying there on all future trips to Memphis! It's also within walking distance of Auto Zone Park too, for those that are going to enjoy a baseball game. Great rate and the rooms were extremely clean and taken care of. Very spacious, with plenty of room for a larger group than just the two of us! I wish I could have taken the pillows home with me, they were the best I've ever slept on when traveling! Breakfast was wonderful too! Often don't find that many choices for a hotel breakfast, but with a waffle bar, cereal, oatmeal, muffins and much more, there were choices for everyone!! A++++++++++

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2010

The hotel was very beautiful, very clean, and I can't say enough about the staff! All very helpful and friendly, considerate. Jumped on the trolley in the mornings to go to the convention (only 50 cents), and either trolleyed or walked to dinner and fun in the evenings!! Really excellent location with fun people-watching in Court Square across the street and all the downtown attractions within blocks. Only took cabs back to the hotel late at night when it was cold. Still a cheap cab ride, also, as not very far away. Our room was very nice and bed very comfortable. Can't believe someone would criticize the bed, but I guess everyone likes something different! THANKS, Springhill Memphis!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Our 3 day stay there was great . So clean the rooms and the staff were lovely they couldnt do enough for us We will go there again on our next trip excellent all round service..............Lovely cleaners

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We journeyed across the Mississippi River to enjoy a nice, relaxing weekend in Memphis. Having tickets at the Orpheum, we wanted to stay downtown. After research downtown hotels, I selected Springhill Suites. we have been nothing but delighted with our stay. I had requested a suite in the historic Kress building--the rooms here are gorgeous. They have renovated this old department store building into beautiful suites. The hotel rooms have huge windows, amazing moldings around the ceiling, and furnishings that are true to the period of the early 20th century--art deco-like touches abound. We also have a huge framed photo of the building taken, I would guess from the clothing on the people, in the 1930s showing the original trolley in the foreground. The Kress Buildings were architectural gems and this building is no different. Our room overlooked a downtown park square and the other buildings around are also architectural delights. We had two "rooms"--a half wall separated them, but unlike many other suite hotels, this was a full floor-to-ceiling wall, so if one person wanted to sit up late in the sitting room, the other party could go to bed in relative peace. We had two TVs--one in the bedroom area and one in the sitting room. Not new HD TVs, but ok TVs. The sitting room was furnished with a love seat and comfy arm chair, plus a nice work desk and appropriate occasional tables. A nice "kitchenette" area featured a microwave, coffee maker, and mini fridge in attractive cabinetry with granite counters. The bathroom has a separate sink area which is nice and we had plenty of good towels.

How anyone could complain about the bedding here is beyond me. We had a new very comfortable mattress that was no so high that you could not sit on it! It was made up with lots of very nice pillows and outstanding linens--very high end thread count and the top blanket was sandwiched between two top sheets--I always like that touch.

A word about the trolleys. We selected this hotel because it was on the trolley line, wanting to use them as transportation around downtown Memphis. The sound did not bother us, but I can see how someone not used to city noises might be--if that is the case, ask for a room that does not front on the trolleys. We thought the trolley was a nice addition to the atmosphere.

We did not have breakfast here as we wanted to go out for a special brunch--Memphis has lots of restaurants that feature jazz brunches or other live entertainment and dishes we cannot get in our hometown restaurants--but we got morning coffees there (there is a nice fireplace in the lobby to sit by and sip coffee. when my husband first went to the coffee, they were out of coffee and the breakfast room had no one in it. He was a bit annoyed. However, once informed that the pots were empty, the attendant bustled quickly to refill the pots. The breakfast featured waffles to cook, cooked oatmeal, and a steam table with biscuits, some type of egg product, sausages, ham, plus the usual assortment of cold cereals, breads, and fruit. The coffee was nice and real cream was available (something they should consider in the rooms with the coffee service there).

The staff seemed a bit overworked, but the young woman at the desk when we arrived was amazingly efficient and, in spite of being really overworked, incredibly nice and pleasant. She handled a rush of new guests, as well as one who was having problems with the wireless internet in her room, with grace, speed, and a bit of humor. The valet moved quickly to get our car taken care of. Assistance was offered with luggage (one bag, we declined). BTW, the valet parking is the same price as the regular parking, so feel free to take it--downtown parking is a premium always and $12 is not an outrageous parking fee. This is not a suburban motor hotel where land is cheap and not everyone who arrives at a downtown hotel will have a car. If you only do things downtown, you will enjoy the luxury of having it parked safely and using the public transportation. It is also a convenient location for walking to many activities.

The hotel fronts on the lovely pedestrian mall area of Main Street, so you have to enter off of Front Street at the back, but our GPS got us here just fine and there is a sign directing you to their check in area on Front. All in all, we had a lovely stay in a room that looks like luxury and at a price that, for downtown Memphis, was a bargain. We will certainly stay here again. Other than having to prod the attendant in the breakfast room to make more coffee, we had few complaints. I wish they would put coffee creamers (real cream) out in the rooms instead of the convenience packs of powder, but few hotels do that. We snagged some off of the coffee bar in the evening. We also asked for additional decaf coffee for in room and were given several packs. The coffee, for the prepacked type, was really rather nice, as well. Ice was readily available on our floor and the elevators are spacious (I have a wheel chair and not all downtown hotels have good elevators--old buildings often are retrofitted with elevators added to small areas) and fast and conveniently located. I would fully recommend it to anyone wanting to stay downtown.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2010

If you would like to toss and turn on a horrible, hard bed with crappy pillows, then this is the hotel for you........ I've slept better in "flea-bag" motels than in this one.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business