“The Best Valentine's Weekend ever!”

SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown
Ranked #22 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Memphis, TN.
“The Best Valentine's Weekend ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

I absolutely LOVED my stay @ Sringhill Suites-Downtown! me and my boyfriend stayed here Valentine's Day weekend, and we had the time of our lives! 1st off- The staff- The staff was great! starting @ check in, the guys @ the front desk especially "Big" Kevin was great & helpful from the start, he kept us laughing! 2nd- the room-OMG, it was beautiful, & very romantic! It was very clean, & inviting! & We loved the FREE high-speed internet conection. 3rd- the FREE buffet style breakfast, OMG again! It was great! The food selection was terrific, and the quanitys was great! Only bad thing is they should invest in a few more waffle makers becuase the wait was too long when we we wanted a waffle, when others were using it 1st. But the overall experience was great! And "Big" Kevin even extended a late checkout for free considering we had a long nite and a early morning to catch breakfast, so it suited us great so we could get a little nap in after the great breakfast!
Me and my boyfreind have stayed at several hotels in Memphis to Mississippi, and we both agree that none of the other hotels could even match up to Springhill Suites! & the other hotels are charging a fee for Internet access which Springhill does NOT, and I love that about Springhill! and some of these hotels are NOT offering free breakfast, & the ones that are, cannot even compare w/ the quality, or variety of the Springhill.
I recomened this hotel to my bestfreind & her boyfriend,( which they stayed @ a later time) and they thought the same thing we did as well!
I would reccomend this hotel to EVERYONE that i can! I can't wait to stay @ this hotel again & again.. (Have not been back yet though)
Keep up the GREAT work Sringhill Suites, Memphis, Downtown!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Indy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

October 4, 2009-October 6, 2009
Second trip to Memphis, first time at this hotel. We stayed at the Residence Inn, Marriot a couple of blocks from here in April which at the time we thought was great, but Spring Hill turned out to be the best. One side was the Main St. trolley. Our only complaint was the valet service offered by the hotel. Both valet and self park was the same price but the parking attendant took forever to go get our car even though we called ahead and gave them enough time before coming down from our room. We promptly changed to self park. This trip we brought my mother in-law since she has always wanted to see Graceland. We went early and was on tour number 1 of the day. We did the Platnium tour and saw it all. We came back to the hotel and checked out some of the downtown area. This time we went on the trolley. What a great deal. For a dollar each way we could take this all the way to Beale street. We then discovered we could have left our car and seen it all even Graceland which is a rather scarey drive on 55 to get there. If you time it right you can take the trolley to Beale street. Cross the street to Rock and Soul Museum. This is music history at it's best. They give you an audio recorder and you go through at your own pace. When your done there is a bus run by Sun Studio that will take you free to Graceland and Sun Studio. This is a working recording studios that Elvis and many others recorded their records. If your lucky you'll get Brian from Sun Studio to drive your bus. He makes the ride so much fun. We then Went to the Peabody to see the ducks. One highlight of our trip was dinner on Beale Street at Blues City Cafe. Great food, great live music and the people who work there make the experience worth the trip. We didn't want to go home.

1 Thank elled59
Ballwin, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2009

This hotel, while perfectly located on Main Street, really could use a management change.

We stayed here over the extended 3 day weekend surrounding Labor Day. 1st note: finding the entrance with GPS is misleading. Address is Main Street - but you have to enter off of Court because Main Street is closed to vehicular traffic.

MARRIOTT'S FAULT: We checked in on the late side of Friday (after 9:00 pm). Service at the front desk was slow, slow, slow...did I mention they were slow? We went up to the room and discovered that the A/C unit - while functional - made a horrible rattle. I fudged with it for a while, attempting to squelch the noise, and discovered it was probably reported by some other weary traveler on a prior stay. I'm guessing hotel management / maintenance crew "fixed" the previuosly reported rattle by re-attaching the cover with packing tape - which had, by now, dislodged and was just hanging - not functional at all. We called the front desk - only to find out that, because of the late hour, nobody was available to remedy the situation until the next day (a Saturday? yeah right!). I ended up stuffing a pillow under the cover to prop it into place which made the rattle much less noticable. Unpacking is always the first thing I do. My husband gets the top drawer, I get the middle drawer, and our 7 year old gets the bottom drawer. I couldn't open the bottom two...they were off track or broken or both. In fact, once I managed to make an opening in the middle drawer large enough to get my hand into, I couldn't get it closed again. The suites do have a sitting area - with a large desk with drawers so we tried to get our things into that storage space. You guess it. They were broken as well. At that point, we just started looking for broken items to make a list for the maintenance crew that had been promised to us for a Saturday visit. The towel shelf over the toilet was barely hanging on -...we were actually afraid it would fall on our head while - well you get it. Plus, regular maintenance items were certainly lacking such as caulking around the tub and toilet.

My 7 year old always swims in the morning, before we go out, and we figured (prior to booking) that an outdoor pool, in Memphis, in the dog days of summer would be okay. Besides it was a "heated" pool. Nope. In fact, the gentleman cleaning the pool (bless his sweet heart) indicated that the heater had been broken for "a lawwwwnnnggg time". His words (and inflection), not mine. It was a COLD pool even in the heat of the midday because the area is in the shadow of the tall building surrounding the hotel.

Breakfasts were nicely done, in an area larger than other similarly priced Marriott properties, but the hard-working staff could not keep up with the crowd and supplies. The food rations seemed to be quite limited (running out of waffle batter, meat, eggs, and juices before the scheduled end to the service). Perhaps the management could have added staff / supplies for a holiday weekend? Oh, and Marriott - please make sure that hotel staff knows a little about replenishing toner cartridges in your business center printers...

NOT MARRIOTT'S FAULT: - The location of the hotel - on the aforementioned closed to vehicular traffic Main Street - is well-intentioned. I think that being on the long stretch of the public trolley line (with a stop right outside the hotel) and with the quaintly decorated stream of horse-drawn carriages clip clopping right outside was probably a good move on the part of Marriott. Having said that, Memphis has done nothing to keep a good impression in the minds of travelers. It looked good on the surface, and in on line photos - but once we walked down Main Streeet toward the Music Festival (another Labor Day weekend draw) we couldn't help but notice the boarded-up, barred windows, and trash laden benches, sidewalks, and alleys. Sorry- Memphis...you need to do better if you want to keep people in those hotel rooms.

I understand, from my husband's follow up call with Marriott corporate management that they are aware of issues at this hotel and are, in fact, at the time I am writing this review - making drastic changes to the staff management here.

It'll be a long time before we go back to this Spring Hill Suites. Sad to say, too, that my family will probably not go back to Memphis either. It really is not too much to expect for a city to welcome visitors with clean streets and safe environments to entice them to want to come again and again. NEVER again, for us.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

This hotel is in an older building right downtown, but is nicely redone, and fairly comfortable. The beds were great, and the suites are roomy- nice for a family of four. It is right on the trolley line (taking you the few blocks to Beale Street) so can be a bit noisy hearing the trolley. But it's right across the street from a charming park (and has a nice balcony to enjoy it), and we enjoyed the 10 minute walk to the heart of Beale St. We used the very convenient valet to store our car while we walked most places. Breakfast was average. The pool area was very nice, but lots of leaves and debris were in the pool. Our only complaint is that we were on the 3rd floor, which is the main walkway over to another building that is part of the hotel, so it was a bit noisy with lots of people passing by our door.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank pelaminnesota
Burlington, Vt.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

A great location to enjoy Memphis, near the river and Beale street. The trolleys went down one evening and we found it was a quick pleasant walk back from Beale Street. The service is spotty. Some people are very helpful but the morning front desk man was completely unhelpful when I asked to be moved because someone had spent a lot of time smoking in our bathroom. (It is a nonsmoking hotel.) The evening desk person offered to move us that night but my daughter was already asleep so he said just come down first thing in the morning. The morning guy said there were no rooms available and who told me I could move! The manager heard the conversation and she easily solved the problem, moving us immediately to another room. The breakfast was average, they ran out of cream one morning and left the water pitcher empty. Yet the rooms are nice and fairly priced.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Vt1st
dearborn hts, michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

rooms were clean and we enjoyed the connecting rooms with 6 of us travel together.beds were confortable but pillows were too  big. The location was near Beale street about 2-3 blocks but we couldnt walk it we took the trolley.I didn't like that the hotel didnt have a lounge area. It would have been nice to get a drink last in the evening to relax. Also  no dinning area near by. There is a city park across thestreet that looked pretty with the flowers bloom but it night it was to scary to walk. But overall it was ok.   Next visit I would stay closer to Beale street ,,,more fun  & activity

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank spikecat
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

Spent 3 nights in Memphis. Hotel is ideally situated for the tram that stops outside the hotel which will take you to Beale St. Perfectly acceptable room which was clean and tidy. The room also contained a fridge and microwave which were useful. A safe is also in the room. Limited fitness facilities and small outdoor pool that are seldom busy. Breakfast was self service buffet and was adequate. Plastic cutlery and plates were a tad annoying. Staff were helpful and pleasant.
Have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends