“Oh my aching back”

Ranked #22 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Adelaide, SA
“Oh my aching back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

What a superbly located place to call home when you are travelling. It's such a shame the cable car wasn't working as it was one of the reasons I chose the hotel in the first place. There's a great little park across the road where you can sit and watch the world go by and even feed the squirrels. This hotel is within easy walking distance from downtown attractions or at least to transport. We walked down to catch the Memphis Hop Bus daily.
Breakfast is good, even better, it's FREE! The suite we had was very spacious and clean but the bed has killed my back. The guest laundry is complimentary which was just perfect. You wont be disappointed staying here, that's for sure!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
sgmck824, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Sharon,

Thank you so much for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and our convenience to all the downtown restaurants, shopping, and entertainment venues.

I am sorry to hear that you weren't pleased with the mattress in your suite. All of our mattress's meet or exceed the Marriott standard, so I am suprised but so sorry.

I hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you travel to Memphis. If I can ever be of service, please feel free t contact me directly.

Susan Covington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

On arrival we took advantage of the Valet parking, its $15 to park whether you use it or not, so why not? Check in was very efficient and the lady receptionist was very friendly and humorous, not so much the male receptionist we met later on, nothing bad but not as friendly. We were allocated a suite on the top floor, with balcony looking out onto North Street and the park. A beautiful scene, especially with the view of the historic Kress building right next door.

The room was not as spacious as one we had with another brand hotel in Nashville but was more than adequate. The sofa bed was comfortable with quite a good quality mattress. Air conditioning worked fine although a little noisy. Two TVs and two queen beds (very comfortable), fridge, microwave and safe.

Downside was at breakfast. We were there 4 nights and only managed to get a table at breakfast on the last day as it was so busy, as we were up before 8 am to get away in time. Breakfast was okay, nothing special and repetitive - same hot food every day. There was a waffle machine but we didn't use it. We took our breakfast back to our room,

It was an easy walk to Beale Street and lots of places to eat along the way. The area is heavily patrolled by police (on bicycles and patrol cars), which oddly made me feel less safe. If you do walk you will be spoken to by a small number of 'homeless' people. We were only asked for money once, in the main the people who spoke to us were trying to be helpful, giving directions to tourist sites etc, maybe looking for some coins in return but they never pushed it. Walgreens is just across the road and there are a couple of liquor stores nearby.

We used the hotel bar a couple of times. It was quiet and not too expensive. The pool is quite small and overlooked by nearby offices - I don't think it would get direct sunlight for sun bathing but the hot tub was great for easing tired muscles. I used the lobby computers for free to print out our boarding passes. Free Wifi in the rooms was good.

Overall a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Get down for breakfast before 8.30 am. Hopefully you will get a table.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Fair_n_Honest
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and I will definitely share it with my staff.

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will stay with us again the next time you visit Memphis.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel. The staff was very knowledgeable of the area and always very pleasant. The rooms were very nice. We felt comfortable with our surroundings. The continental breakfast that was offered was 'tops' compared to other hotels we have visited. The staff kept all the breakfast items stocked and their attitudes were pleasant, also. When we were about half way through our stay, the mosquitoes came out in full force. That may have been because of the rising temperatures outside or the fact that a few days earlier, parts of Memphis had had some flooding from heavy rains. If you consider this hotel, in the spring and summer, please have some insect repellent on hand. This hotel is within walking distance to a variety of sites and right across from a lovely park. It has so many beautiful views. I would stay in this hotel again when I visit Memphis. As an aside, this hotel is in walking distance to Beale Street and there are a huge variety of eateries within walking distance. Give this one a try. Have a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: There is a portion of the hotel that requires you to take a over-bridge. As I understand, it is an o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Missyb3ll3
sgmck824, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am so glad to hear that yo enjoyed your stay and all the amenities our hotel has to offer. I'm also glad to hear that you took advantage of our convenient location to all the restaurants, shopping, and entertainment venues.

I hope you will consider staying with us again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me if I can ever be o service.

Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 1 night. Hotel is an easy walk to the Mud Island tram. The trolly stops right outside the back door for an easy ride to Beale st. (Not for us, though; trolley was out of service the day we were there, so we made the fairly long walk.)

We had 3 people in a 2-queen-bed room, which gave everyone their own bed including the (tolerable) fold-out sofa. We were in the Kress building, and the room was very big, especially for a downtown hotel.

Not wild about the $15 parking charge, but I suppose that's not bad for valet parking at a downtown hotel.

Breakfast was good, staff friendly & helpful. Very easy access to/from I-40. Would stay here again if I'm ever in Memphis in the future.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
sgmck824, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and the lcation of the hotel which is so convenient to the entertainment, shopping, and restaurants in the downtown area.

I hope you will consider staying with us again soon. If I can ever be of service, please feel free to contact me directly.

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

This hotel was OK for one night during a business trip. The people at the front desk were helpful. They helped me get a taxi and held my luggage until the room was ready. The fridge and microwave in the rooms is useful for heating up leftovers. Other than that, the carpets are yucky, the gym was dirty and the machines were old, and the sofa was uncomfortable and soiled. I would recommend staying at a different hotel. My phone also rang at 4 am, waking me up. Just an OK experience overall.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank robundle
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suite, Downtown Memphis. I really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and I will definitely share it with my associates.

I hope you will visit us again soon. If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Decided to do a last minute get away and choose Memphis and got a good deal on this hotel. The location was good close to river, downtown and lots of things to do. We stayed in the attached building which was an older converted building. Room was big, people were friendly, breakfast was nice. Overall a nice stay.

Room Tip: All rooms in this hotel would be good.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities we offer our guests.

I hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you travel to Memphis. If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We loved the location. We walked everywhere. The room was nice but had a smell, do not get room 604. Its right on next to the elevator. You can hear it and all the people getting on and off... The staff was super nice. The pool wasn't bad as long as you got there early to get 1 of 4 loungers. Breakfast was nice several choices, our only problem was with all the French children who just were rude. All in all I would come back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2014