“Looks are deceiving...”

SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown
Ranked #27 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I recently stayed at this property for a few nights on business. This property was chosen on 3 criteria - proximity, price and ratings. This property sits on the square close to the courthouse. It is a mix on new construction and the old Kress Building. My room was in the newer building. At first blush, the property looks well kept and clean, as do the rooms. But...

The first room I was assigned overlooked nothing very eye appealing, but was not on the street. The room was hot and stagnant feeling. I turned on the A/C, changed clothes and headed out to eat. When I returned, the room was not any cooler. I went to open the window for some air circulation, but I noticed the limited slide screws in the tracks. Well, that didn't matter because the entire sash came out of the tracks when I went to open.

With those two mishaps, I went to request a new room and was moved across the hall. I was now facing the square and the street, but that was not really an issue. There is not much traffic in downtown Memphis in this area at night. The only noise you notice is the occasional trolley.

This room was also stagnant and hot feeling, but the A/C worked well enough to cool the room to a comfortable temperature, but I had the thermostat on the old wall unit as cold as it would go.

Once I got settled into the room, the drawbacks and other telltale signs of use were noticeable. The rooms are not that large. This property probably has the smallest rooms I've stayed in at a SpringHill Suites. The work area was not very conducive to work. It felt cave like. The door cover on the old wall A/C was gone. The picture over the desk was curling out of its frame and there was a hole in the closet door. I got the feeling there has been some updates along, but not to the extent I've seen in other Marriott properties.

The room seemed clean. The bed was comfortable. The staff was always polite and helpful. I liked the fact you could walk to the area restaurants and bars from the hotel.

I recommend using the valet parking.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Bulldog82
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dea Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments concerning your recent say with us as SpringHill Suites, Dowtown Memphis. Your feedback is very important and Icertainly appreciate you taking the time it share it wth us.

I hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you travel to Memphis. If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Really loved this place. It was fairly busy on the weekend we were there with a quite a few college football fans from Missouri staying there. Must say they were extremely friendly. The rooms were good and clean but the highlight was the staff. Peggy at reception was an absolute gem. Always had a smile and more than willing to assist with advice. She put us on to Big John who drove us to Graceland and that was an awesome ride. Perfectly located on the Main Street trolley route and walking distance to Beale Street and FedEx Forum. Would have no hesitation in staying here again should I be lucky enough to revisit Memphis.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PZ604
SCovington, Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments concerning your recent stay with us at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am so glad you enjoyed our hotel and the service we provide our guests. I will share your feedback with my staff! I hope you will visit us again soon. If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights during the week of Thanksgiving for a short,mfamily vacation. This Marriot property is well-located,mclean, and offers a better-than-average complimentary breakfast. The suites are sizeable and tidy, with new LG flat-screen TVs. The cable service is barely adequate, but free wi-fi almost makes up for it.

Room Tip: The east side of the building faces the downtown trolley, so if you're an early-to-bed type or l...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank M F
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so muc for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am gald you enjoyed the hotel and our breakfast. And I appreciate your feedback concerning our cable television too.

I hope you will visit us again soon! If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Loved location, Safe quiet area of downtown Memphis. Trolley in front of hotel to go to Beale street, easy fun ride. Modern up to date Clean room with everything you need including a refrigerator.
Getting around town was easy with our GPS and close to everything. Graceland about 12 min's away....$$ value for price. Breakfast plenty of selections even for a diabetic diet. We had to park handicap the three days we stayed, there were only 3 spaces but the valet keep a spot open for us for no charge. Appreciate the courtesy and understanding. Staff helpful and met all our needs.

Room Tip: Take trolley in front of hotel to Beale Street, walk is a little far for an older person. Cost only...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel and the downtown area I will certainly share your feedback with my staff!

If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free contact me directly.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here during a family vacation in downtown Memphis. The rooms were spacious and the staff was friendly and attentive. The breakfast was one of the best hotel breakfast that I have had. I did not like that the self parking was a block and a half away from the hotel, next time I will do the valet parking. Overall we were very pleased with the hotel.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank R B

Deat guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Memphis. I am so glad your enjoyed the hotel and our breakfast. We offer valet parking at the same cost as self parking due to the proximity of the parking garage.

I hope you will stay with us again soon. If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free to contact me directly!

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

I loved this hotel!! Great location wonderful friendly staff. Rooms were big, clean and the bed was so comfortable. Just a quick walk to Beale Street. On arrival I was given tour information and picked up and dropped off very easily. I felt right at home here and it would be the only place I would stay when I return to Memphis.
If the staff give you the tour info take it. I had an amazing experience at Graceland, that place is amazing.
Thanks to the staff and the beautiful city I loved every part of Memphis. See you soon.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank charlene1975

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. Your feedback is very important to us and I will certainly share it with the staff! If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel is located on the trolley line and transportation is easily available. In addition, the hotel is only a five-six block walk to the Beale Street Entertainment District; likewise, there are other restaurants and bars within walking distance. I did not sleep well because the bed seemed too soft. The staff members with whom I came into contact were friends and accommodating. There is a fee to park your vehicle; use the valet service. The hotel has free wifi and breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Try to get a larger suite in the Kress Building portion of the hotel; Suite 350 is a good one.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CJTravelerTexas

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments concerning your recent stay with us at SpringHIll Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel and the downtown area.
I hope you will visit us again sometime soon!