“Nice hotel without the frills”

SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown
Ranked #27 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is a nice value, in a convenient downtown location. The room and furnishings are clean and comfortable. The complimentary breakfast is fairly standard (eggs, sausage, biscuits, muffins, waffles, etc.), but very tasty. The only drawback is that the room can be a bit noisy for a light sleeper. The walls are not very soundproof. I was on the 5th floor and could hear people talking in the parking lot. I tried turning on the a/c to block out the noise, but found the individual room unit to be a bit noisy. Overall, the hotel is a decent place to stay if you are looking in the 3-star price range.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I apologize that you experienced some issues with noise during your stay. You are a valued guest and your feedback is very important to us. I will pass your comments along to my staff and corporate office.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent a spring break here to listen to the blues and sample the Memphis ribs. The room was comfortable and the service was great. The location is near all of the downtown activities. Only a few blocks from Beale Street where all of the blues clubs are located. There is a trolley stop right outside the entrance. You can reach most of the downtown activities using the trolley. The accommodations at the hotel were excellent. The only downside is the $15 per day parking fee. We were not advised of this charge and were surprised when we checked out. We felt they should have let us know this up front.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Memphis. Your feedback is very important to us and I will certainly share your comments with my staff. I hope you will consider staying with us again. If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free to contact me directly,

scovington@summit mgmtcorp.com

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Spring Hill Suites in Memphis is in a decent and safe Downtown location. The Main Street and Riverfront Loop trolleys stop right in front of the hotel on Main St. and you can easily walk to Beale Street. The rooms are very good if you are travelling with kids as they have a room divider, two televisions, and a small wet pantry. The lobby is clean and modern, and the free hot breakfast is extensive and actually very good. Room was overall very nice and clean. The beds were very comofortable. For a room this size I found the pricing to be very fair.
My only issues are as follows:
The valet takes a while to get your car as the parking garage is a few blocks away. Might be better to self park if the weather is nice.
I found the front desk indifferent. One guy was texting on his phone while I was talking to him.
I don't mind, but you can hear the trolleys if your room faces Main St. They run until 11:30pm.
Overall this a a very good hotel for the money and a good choice with children.

Room Tip: For a quieter room you might want to request the front of the hotel and not Main St.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MaxnBaci
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments concerning your recent stay with us at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. You are a valued guest and your feedback is very important to us.
I will share your comments with the staff. If I can ever be of service in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The welcome to this hotel was superb! In fact, all employees encountered were way above average in friendliness and kindness. The hotel is directly on the trolley line with stops both directions close by -- a definite plus in Memphis! Our room was nice -- a regular Spring Hills room. The bed, comfortable. The weather outside was cold! Our room was cold. We could NOT use the in-room heater. It was so filled with foul smelling dust that permeated the room that running it was out of the question. There were no extra blankets without calling to request one. With clean, well conditioned heat, I would give this hotel a far better rating. If you go, check the room heater immediately on accepting the room -- and wear your flannel jammies.

Room Tip: Be sure to check the heater/air conditioner upon entering the room!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am sorry that you had issues with the heating in your suite. I will definitely follow-up with our maintenance department to insure this problem is resolved.

You are a valued guest, and your feedback is very important. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay in more detail.

s.covington@summitmgmtcorp.com

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The location and decor of this hotel is phenomenal! All of the staff were super-friendly...Ms. Kimberly (sp?) in housekeeping was amazing, and, Mr. Kevin at the front desk was a real treat...he made our stay above and beyond my expectations. When I go back to Mephis, I will be sure to stay here again...hopefully Ms. Kimberly and Mr. Kevin will still be there! :)

Room Tip: Keep in mind that the rooms facing the park/the trolley stop might be a little loud for some people...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I am so glad to hear that you had a good time and that you enjoyed staying with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I will definitely share your comments with the staff. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of service in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel March 14-17. I was in town with lots of other professional young ladies attending a regional meeting for our sorority. While this hotel was of many downtown hotels utilized by our group, I stayed at the Springhill Suites and had a very positive experience. I thought they did an excellent job handling the various requests that they received during our stay. The staff was courteous, friendly and helpful. Also, the hot breakfast was very tasty. I think this hotel is an excellent value and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are really neat- -they overlook the park.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the nice comments you made concerning your recent stay with us at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I will share your comments with the staff and I know they will be glad to know that you enjoyed your stay!

Please feel free to contact me if I can ever be of service in the future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

For the most part, this hotel has what I would expect at a Springhill Suites:
1. The free breakfast is much more extensive than the usual continental hotel breakfast found at hotels. It was similar to other Springhill Suites breakfasts in that it had yogurt, waffles, eggs (and biscuits for the Southern flair), fruit, and more.
2. Free Wifi, including in-room.
3. Modern, new-ish hotel.
4. Overall, fairly friendly and helpful service, but for one experience (see below--it was a dealbreaker for me). Otherwise, I called a couple of times with questions and was promptly helped.
5. Central location to downtown and river.
6. 24 hour tea and coffee free in lobby.
7. Free computer and printer in lobby for boarding passes.

Things that were major issues for me:
1. 3rd floor room (315) was very noisy because the floor happens to be a throughfare for certain upper-floor rooms and a historic building. It was noisy on Friday and Saturday, as young 'uns walked by all night (literally until 3-4AM). While the walls seemed to be pretty sound-proof (I didn't hear people through the walls), the door let in the noise from walkers-by. Even when you walk by a room, you can hear clearly people speaking at normal intensity. They couldn't switch my room on Saturday because they were sold-out.

2. I was charged $7 (but not told about the charge) for calling a taxi to the airport in the morning (fare $35). I expect that when a concierge asks if I would like to call a cab for the airport in the morning, that I would be informed that there is a charge for making that reservation. I called a cab just a day before through the concierge and was not charged for that.

3. Dirty couch in room. I am not usually one with very high standards, but the couch was visibly soiled. Carpet and everything else was very clean.

A few things that I would like to see improved:
1. Chair in-room at the desk was broken, so it kept lowering whenever I would lean back. Good times. They probably would have promptly switched it out for me had I called.
2. The hotel info in-room says the room is equipped with a recycle trash can, but all the cans looked the same to me, so I question whether they actually recycle. I would like to use a recycle bin and know that what I throw is actually recycled.
3. Like other Springhill Suites, the breakfast is served with plastic-ware. This is incredibly wasteful. There must be another cost-effective, but environmentally friendlier way for them to serve breakfast.
4. The design of the room was such that the bed was near the window and the desk/work space behind a wall where there was very little natural light, so I had to use all the desk and couch area lighting to work at the desk, even with the curtains fully open.

Room Tip: 3rd floor has a lot of traffic because it is an access floor for an adjacent historic building, as w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I really appreciate you taking the time to critique your stay in such detail. Your feedback is very important to us. We will certainly take your suggestions and ideas under consideration.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of service to you in the future.