“Outstanding Downtown Property”

Ranked #23 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
st. louis
“Outstanding Downtown Property”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a well priced location for a visit to Memphis. The facility is clean and well cared for and the staff is friendly and helpfull! Just walk out the door to catch the downtown trolley where for a fare of $1 you have a quick trip to Beale Street and points beyond. A short walk to the Peabody for viewing the ducks and lots to do in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Safety Harbor, Florida
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Nice place, rooms were very nice a bit small for a "suite" but nicely located parking was a bit over priced but free wi-fi and a nice breakfast buffet more than made up for it. Ask for a room on the north side the trolley ( which is right at the door of the hotel! ) can be a bit noisy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. Your feedback is very important to us and only helps us to improve our guests experience. I have shared your comments with the staff and they really appreciated them. I hope you will visit us again the next time you travel to Memphis. If I can ever be of service, please feel free to contact me directly,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2012

From the moment you come in to the moment you leave, you feel welcomed in the midst of the Valet Staff, the Front Desk, The Cleaning staff, everyone. You 've got a TV problem. There isn't a problem, it's instantly fixed. You have a request, you've got it.
Very good room layout, very comfortable bed, smallish bath, great shower, overall very good room.
The breakfast was as good as you made it. No complaints only kudos.

Room Tip: Don't get parkside, you miss the view but also don't hear the trolley cars
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dumos
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful comments about your recent stay
at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I shared your comments with the staff and they really appreciated the recognition you gave them. I hope you will consider staying wth us again the next time you travel to Memphis. If I can ever be of service, please feel free to contact me directly.

Alexandria, VA
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I usually stay in higher end hotels, but needed suites for a group trip. I recommend the suites in the Historic Kress portion of the hotel. Both suites we had were renovated and nice. The shower in our room had lots of power, always a good thing. Towels were fine for this level hotel and beds comfortable. The suites have a nice sitting room and we utilized the wet bar. The Kress building itself has a pleasant lounge, which nobody seemed to use, but would be a great gathering room.

The hotel was clean - very important to me, no matter what the price. Speaking of price, this has to be the vest value hotel I've stayed in for years. One surprise was that in the suites, the 2 queen beds are next to each other. The 1/2 separating wall is in between the bedroom portion and the sitting room, so the room only works for a group of friends or family. Also, the tv is located so it can be sen in either the sitting room or bed room, but, when you swivel it to one of the other, the corner of the tv sticks out into the path.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find there coffee strong enough that I had 2 cups - not your classic yucky free coffee. The free breakfast buffet had a lot of offerings.

Location is very good - a few blocks to Beale Street, the Peabody and the Rendevous. Given the price difference between staying by Beale Street or here, stay here & walk a couple blocks. Yes, parking is tough, but you're in the downtown of a city, so I wasn't surprised. One night we came in late and there was no parking, the valet took our car and took care of it over night without any extra charges, so the bottom line is that they took care of us.

Room Tip: Recommend staying in the Historic Kress building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank nkdp
Thank you for your recent comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis.
We are very proud of our hotel and the Kress building has so much ambience and history behind it. I am so glad you enjoyed it! I hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you travel to Memphis. If I can ever be of service, please feel free to contact me directly.

Sunderland, England,
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My family and I had the pleasure of staying at the SpringHill Suites between 23/10/12 - 28/10/12 and have to say it was amazing.

When we first checked in we were a little concerned when the receptionist told us there was a convention going on and our room wasn't ready HOWEVER she told us we were to be upgraded from our Queen suite to the Executive Business Suite instead until our room became available. I'll not go into what that suite was like but if you want to see it - look on their website. The photographs are incredibly accurate - it was flawless.

The room we had booked became available the next day (though we made it clear if it was going to be a problem we'd happily stay in the one they put us in originally) so we moved to our Queen suite balcony room facing Court Square. Again, the room was flawless and and the photographs on their website are completely accurate.

Don't let anyone try to put you off about the location or decor. The hotel is a modern, clean environment and someone said about dirty carpets? Sorry, but from what we saw - that's not accurate. It's immaculate and a very well kept establishment.

We did see a lot of people congregating outside the hotel but it's on a a beautiful park and there was never any trouble. The people outside were just ordinary Memphians - there was nothing dodgy about them at all. Seriously - the population of Memphis are beyond friendly and when we went downstairs weren't troubled by anyone! Quite the opposite, in fact.

Our room was overlooking a tram stop (or 'trolley bus' if you're American) and they run quite late but there's no noise other than the occasional trolley bell to let people know it's stopping and combined with the comfortable bed made for a perfect nights sleep. Breakfast was a typical American affair with everything catered for from Danish bacon and sausage to local food like grits and biscuits. Coffee flows 24 hours a day and every single member of staff greets you with a smile and a good word.

Having never visited Memphis before, we knew where we wanted to go but weren't sure of the best way to get there. Despite us being fairly experienced travellers we are aware it's all too easy to get ripped off when abroad but - you know what? - the staff made sure that didn't happen.

Kanika, Rebecca and Sarah on reception were especially helpful. They told us the best way to get from 'A' to 'B' and even went so far as to book trips for us that saved us a fortune - thank you ladies!!

I honestly can't rate this hotel highly enough. It was an experience we can't wait to repeat.

Thank you to everyone at the SpringHill Suites for making our first visit to Memphis so special.

Room Tip: Get a balcony suite to face Court Square!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeff07
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I shared your coments with the staff and they were elated! They are always working to give our guests an enjoyable experience. We would love for you to visit us again sometime. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of service.

Del Mar, California
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel is an average SpringHill as compared to other ones I have stayed at. There were however a couple of things that made our stay a disappointing experience. For one thing the parking situation was problematic, the self parking lot across the street from the hotel is very limited and was full all the time, which they charged $15 for. So you have to valet which is also $15, which was OK. However the problem with valeting at this hotel is there is not enough valet staff to make it an efficient operation for the customer. When we came in to drop the car off most of the time no one was around to turn the keys over to because they was retrieving a cars from the garage, so we waited 5 to 10 minutes. When it came time to get the car, same problem in reverse, even after calling the valet from are room before we went down to the lobby, we still had to wait a least 5 to10 minutes for our car every time. Another disappointing situation was on returning to our room in the afternoon one day we found the door to our room was a ajar and not locked, very disconcerting. After checking the room to see if anything of ours was missing and nothing was, we called the front desk asking to talk to a manager on duty. The front desk person advised us that there was no one on duty, but she would get a hold of the hotel manager. An hour later she called and told us she couldn't get a hold of the manager, but stated the manager would call us first thing the next morning, so we gave her our cell phone number. Nine days later and we're still waiting for a call. I know it sounds like a lot of complaining, but it's the little things that make for a positive experience at a hotel. So bottom line, average hotel and I would not recommend a downtown location except if your on business for a lot of other reasons, a very disappointing experience

Room Tip: Book rooms only on river side or west side of building because of the very noisy trolley operations...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown Memphis. I was concerned that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We offer valet parking to our guests as a convenience and charge much less than the average rate for the downtown hotels. We do not have a garage on premise, so the 5-10 minutes to have your car delivered is as quick as it could possibly be done. I apologize if this was not explained to you
at the time you valet parked. Security of our guests is of the upmost importance to us and we have strict policies and procedures in place to insure this. I have addressed yor comments
with the staffand again appreciate you taking the time to give us you input and I hope you will consider staying with us the next time you travel to Memphis!
Somerset, NJ
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at SHS for 23 days. I was in Memphis for training.

I had boxes shipped to a hotel next door (Marriott was the hotel we were initially staying) when my hotel was switched, the Spring Hill Suites front desk people immediately took care of the three boxes of items I'd need for the following three weeks at their hotel. They were brought to me upon check in. Very nice.

I'm still not sure if Memphis people aren't as friendly as New Jersey folks, or if was the attitude of the staff. I found that if you went out of your way...and pretty far out of your way you could manage a hello or maybe a good morning.

A few staff members were very approachable but the ones that weren't, and had no intentions of being so, was well, strange. The housekeeping crew weren't going to say hello no matter how you went about it. It became funny, then a mission, one we never did win.

Some could have taken a lesson from Crystal in the breakfast area. She and another woman represented Spring Hill Suites well, in general. I saw that kid work from morning to night always with a smile.
Keith and Darren at the front desk...same thing. Nice people.

The property itself is clean, modern and the best possible location in downtown Memphis. Directly across the street from a nice park and plenty of shopping.

Within walking distance to the beautiful Peabody Hotel ( which everyday at 11 and 5 the famous ducks come down to the lobby by elevator and to the fountain) the famous Rendezvous rib joint,
And of course Beale Street where music plays block after block.

Nice outdoor pool, hot tub and plenty of private space to work or study.

The business center is in the lobby, two computers, printer the usual. The front desk helps with faxes, transportation and the like.

The gym is small and some of the equipment was not up and running- but they had a variety of equipment. Small but clean and doable. I joined the YMCA a few blocks around the corner. The best Y I have ever been to. Keep it in mind if you're staying in town for any length of time.

Working and living in the NY/NJ area, I'm not rattled by the homeless population, who will generate persistent conversation to request food and or money. Perhaps at night you want to walk with someone. The hotel makes great effort to keep its property safe. Plenty of police presence, though we had not one issue.

The rooms are very nice. While you couldn't get a smile from a housekeeper, you definitely had great service daily. Always restocked and supplied whatever you needed. I don't know, maybe I'm demanding, after all, I had more Paul Mitchell hair products than I could, who knows maybe they were just too busy to smile or say hello....ever..not once...ever.....

My only complaint after 23 days at the Memphis SHS is getting fresh coffee early morning, just didn't happen. You could get coffee, but not fresh coffee. Which is a minor mess up, I suppose.

But important to those who enjoy (need) coffee in the morning,

The City Market on the corner was the go to place for coffee. Great deli/grocery store which we relied on a lot for coffee. Great Gumbo too. There isn't a DD or a Starbucks within six city blocks that I saw.

The hotel is quiet for downtown. The restaurants within walking distance are some of the best eateries I've experienced. Flying Fish, Majestic Grill, The Tea Room, all very different, but all amazing. The hotel does not have a restaurant but most places deliver.

The charm of downtown Memphis is Main Street. The only transportation in front of the hotel is horse and carriage and trollies. For a dollar you can ride across town, and I suggest even if you have no where to go...go. Its the charm of the city. Take a ride to the Spaghetti Warehouse.

All in all, I loved the hotel. When you're away from home for three weeks, it's important to be comfortable, feel safe and be in a clean environment...SHS offers that and more.

Once again SHS has managed to make me feel at home, no matter where in the country I am.
One day I will go back to Memphis and when I do, SHS will be my first choice. It always is.

There is something for everyone at this location...except maybe a hello from a housekeeper.

Room Tip: The hotel is large with different buildings. All offer great views of city
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business