“Great location and staff”

SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown
Ranked #22 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Salisbury, Maryland
“Great location and staff”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed two nights at this downtown hotel. It was 4 adults, each couple had a nice queen bed and there was a seperate sitting area with a sofa, desk and chair and another small chair. There was one flat screen TV between the 2 areas and one bath. It also had a small refrigerator, which was great for storing drinks. The room was clean and comfortable. In the morning they had a nice warm breakfast for quests. There was coffee in the lobby 24/7. We had a newspaper every morning and a coffemaker in our room. The hotel staff was very responsive and very helpful. They arranged dinner reservations, a carraige ride, and explained the trolley sytem to us. They had maps and coupons for us, which were very helpful. There is a nice park with a fountain and benches behind the hotel and you can catch the trolley right there too. You can pay $1.00 and go to Beal Street for a great dinner and evening. Can't wait to get back to Memphis.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank CMAfan_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Just stayed here for a week, as part of our holiday from the UK.. We were really impressed with this hotel, and thought it fantastic value for money.
We had a room with a King bed in the modern building, which was very spacious and well-decorated, with a huge and comfortable bed. It was a large studio room, with separate seating area and kitchenette. The kitchenette only had a fridge, microwave and coffee-maker, but we weren't planning to cook. There's no kettle, so bring a travel one if you want to make tea.
We thought that the free breakfast was excellent, with a very wide choice of hot and cold food, fruit, yoghurts etc.. It does get busy in the breakfast room at weekends, but that's only to be expected.
I'll try not to repeat what other reviewers have said, but will just pick out a few things. One side of the hotel overlooks the square, which is very attractive, and the trolleys, which are great but inevitably noisy. If outside noise really bothers you, I suggest ringing in advance and specifying a room on the quiet side of the hotel. I emailed, but the message was never passed on, and we couldn't be moved for 2 nights as the hotel was full.
We never heard noise from neighbouring rooms for the whole week we were there, so the noise insulation must be good.
Also, if you're on a long holiday and need to do some washing, the hotel has a laundry room and provides free detergent, which was useful for us.
The location is brilliant for getting around, as others have said. The Main Street trolley stops outside, and you also can stroll to Beale Street in less than 10 minutes.
If you like shopping, be warned that there are absolutely NO decent shops in downtown Memphis! We didn't have a car, and I was planning to take a taxi to a mall one day, but the quote was $50 (about £30), so I didn't bother.
We really enjoyed being in Memphis. There are lots of interesting things to see and do, and we loved the Southern hospitality (and accents!) We did hire a car for one day and drove out of town to Oxford, Mississipi, which was an easy drive and interesting day trip.
For the rest of the time we got around using the trolleys, which run frequently and are great fun. We did have to get a couple of taxis - to the Stax Soul museum, which isn't on a trolley route, and to Graceland because we wanted to get there early. There is a free shuttle bus to/from Sun Studios, which we used to get back. The public transport bus system is very confusing, and not tourist-friendly - my husband tried it once, but gave up.
My highlights would be Sun Studios, and the Civil Rights museum (on the site of Dr Martin Luther King's murder at the Lorraine Motel). And of course you have to visit Graceland, even if you're not an Elvis fan.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank elmgrove10
Mesquite, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The hotel is directly across the street from a lovely park that you can see from the breakfast room and has a Main St Trolley stop just outside the door. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with a view of the park. It's beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dmjaime
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Thank you so much for all your positive comments about the hotel! We certainly hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Memphis!
Cordoba, Argentina
Reviewed May 27, 2012

It's in a very convenient location, in front of Court Square in Downtown, and has a Trolley Station in the rear door (U$ 1 per ride).
It is also less of 6 blocks from Beale Street.
Very quiet place (the unique con is that there are some homeless -maybe lazy men, because they have cell phones....- that every time you walk to the Square they try to give some tips and then ask for a donation....But nothing unsecure. There are cameras in the square.).
There are "Sleep Inn" and "Courtyard" hotels -all Marriott brands- besides this one.
Personnel is ok; cleanliness too;
Breakfast has a wide variety of things (all in plastic and disposables)
Rooms are large and nice, But a little bit noisy: despite street is quiet you can hear the people outside, and we were in a high floor.
I Highly recommend it!!!

Room Tip: High floor and maybe not facing Main Street!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EduardoCordobaARG
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Convenient for downtown. Nice park across the street - I would ask for a view of that. Stayed in the historic building and had view of the roof tops and the air conditioning unit. The windows REALLY need to be cleaned - they were disgusting.

One very weird / unsafe thing: something we heated in the microwave caused the smoke alarm to go off and NOBODY CAME to check it out. I had to call down to the front desk to have them send somebody to turn off the smoke alarm.

Also, for some reason all the taxis the hotel ordered for us seemed to be at least $10 more expensive than all the ones we ordered for ourselves. Coincidence?

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room looking toward Main Street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay. I do want to address the issue with the smoke alarm. The smoke alarms in the suites do not trigger the fire alarm system at the front desk . The fire alarm system is monitored 24 hrs per day and tested and inspected several times a year and approved by the Fire Marshall. The safety of our guests is very important to us and we are dedicated to providing a safe environment. As far as the concerns of the cost of transportation, if a guest asks us to call a cab for them, we have several companies that we contact. All of their prices are about the same. We are not making any profit from recommending one company over the other. Our main concern is the service that they provide our guests. Again, I appreciate your comments. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss this further, my direct line is (901) 522-2109 or email me at scovington@summitmgmtcorp.com.
San Diego
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This is your basic bargain hotel, The location is fantastic, with a streetcar stop right outside the hotel that will you get you to anywhere you would want to go downtown, for $1 a ride. The room rate was NOT a bargain, but I think that's because I was there for "Memphis in May", which is the local high season for tourism. The public areas of the hotel are clean and modern and pleasant, apparently very recently renovated. We chose a room in the "historic Kress building" because they're supposed to be bigger, but this wasn't really a plus. It was large with a high ceiling, but it's not really a suite - there's no door between the sleeping and living areas. There is an old standard (not flat screen) TV that swivels so it can be seen from either part of the "suite." The living area kind of dwarfed the furniture - a small loveseat and two chairs, and a simple desk. The "kitchen" area included a mini-fridge, a microwave, and a coffee maker, with no dishes and only enough coffee to make one cup. (It was dreadful.) The room was a little tired, with cracked bathroom floor tiles, some crud oozing from the shower safety bar, and so forth, but over all it was adequate and quiet with comfortable beds. The guy who checked us at the front desk managed to not say a SINGLE word to us until he handed us the keys and told us where the elevator was - so obviously we had to figure out for ourselves that breakfast was included in the rate. The breakfast itself was pretty good, with eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, bagels, cereal, sweet rolls, juice, and all that - other than the crumbly scrambled eggs and weak coffee, it was really quite good. Kevin at the front desk (NOT the guy who checked us in) was incredibly helpful and friendly, and called a ride for us to the airport that worked out great. All in all, there's no reason not to stay here, as long as you're not expecting the Ritz.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Russellville, Arkansas
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My girls and I stayed at this property because it was close to our Memphis in May attraction. That and the fact that it had an in room safe were the only nice things for us here. Fold out bed...could not sleep on. Bumped my head on metal even trying to lay down. 'Queen' who checked us in acted pissed off because we were there and barked at me when I asked if AT 2 PM there were any rooms with a balcony. 'WE'RE SOLD OUT AND YOU SHOULD HAVE RESERVED THAT ROOM IF YOU WANTED THAT" .... Called down in the evening asking for extra wash clothes and was told the guy was the only one there and couldn't bring those for a while???? A sold out night and one person on duty?? GIVE ME A BREAK! The morning of checkout.....receipt under my door....0 balance because it had been charged to my CC on file....for $15.00 more per room night than what I had booked. Thinking that included parking....NO, went to front desk to give key cards back and was told they would be charging additionally for parking on my CC!!! Had not charged enough????WHAT? WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. I've been in the hospitality business most of my adult life. I would fire half of the staff I met at this property!!

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
SCovington, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at SpringHill Suites, Downtown. I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the service you received during your recent stay. I also apologize that we were unable to accommodate you with a balcony suite. We only have 10 balcony suites, and they are always booked months in advance during special events. You are a valued customer and your comments only serve to make us better. I will share them with the staff . If you would like to contact me directly, you may do so at (901) 522-2109 or scovington@summitmgmtcorp.com.

Susan Covington