There's not a whole lot about this hotel that is negative. First, it's location is perfect. Not only is it easy to get to from Front Street, but, the Main Street Trolley stops right outside the back of it. From there, you can get to Beale Street, The Civil Rights Museum or to any place on the river front quite conveniently.
We reserved a room in the Historic Kress Building. The hotel built a walk way and converted rooms in this building. Consider them mini-suites. There is a seperate room with a love seat, chair and desk in these. You'll also find a refrigerator, sink and microwave in this area. The TV swivels to be viewed in the bedroom or in this room as well.
It's a block away from Walgreens. It's about a 10 minute stroll down Main to Union if you want to go the Peabody or catch a Redbirds game.
The back of the hotel opens up to Court Square. Here's the bad news, yes there are some homeless people that camp out there. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised how we were not accosted by panhandlers as I had been in the past right outise more expensive hotels. The city has made a concerted effort to discourage panhandlers so I guess it's working.
But, here's the good news. Not only is there a trolley stop right outside the back door of the hotel, but, about 50 feet away is one of the best breakfasts in Memphis at the Blue Plate Cafe. Now, your stay here does include breakfast, but, I assure you it is not as good as the Blue Plate - just cheaper. You know the old saying though, you get what you pay for. But, The Blue Plate also is open for Lunch. You should make time for it. A&R BBQ is also right around the corner. Not as famous as The Rendezvous, but, locals will tell you it's better - and it is!
The staff couldn't have been more friendly and professional. I have stayed at several hotels in Memphis that cost 3x more than my room here and didn't have a tenth of the pleasant experience I had here.
I absolutely recommend this hotel for families and tourists looking for a safe, comfortable & convenient stay in downtown Memphis. We will certainly consider this again on future visits. BTW, valet and self parking are the same cost. We had no trouble with valet parking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spacious, all-suite hotel located 10 mi from Graceland; minutes from area restaurants and businesses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Marriott, Hotwire, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Suites Memphis Downtown Hotel Memphis
- Memphis Springhill Suites