“Average hotel, not a great location. Would stay elsewhere”

SpringHill Suites Memphis Downtown
Ranked #27 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Went to the Memphis area for business, but wanted to stay in a location where I would be around some activity for after-hours. Looking at a map online, this hotel seemed to fit the bill. It is only a few blocks away from Beale Street and the Redbirds stadium. It looked decent from the Marriott website and has pretty good reviews.

Honestly, the hotel itself was ok. The lobby was obviously recently redone and the breakfast area was nice looking. Compared to other hotels, there are certainly no frills though (which is not a problem).

My room was a weird olive green color (walls & carpet) which gave the appearance of something straight out of the 70s. The room and bedding were clean, but it was tough to tell from the initial appearance. I think the hotel is trying to be a boutique hotel, but its not working. Overall, it was fine.

My real problem was the location. Like I said, it is only a few blocks from Beale, but its traveling those few blocks which cause a problem. The hotel is located across from a park where shady characters hang out. Also, within a three block span, I was approched three times for money. It can be uncomfortable and intimidating alone at night. I got food at the Madison hotel and got back to my room quicker than I had intended to.

If you want to be in a good area near good restaurants while feeling safe, your best bets are the Hampton Inn, the Peabody (if you can swing it), Westin, Doubletree, or Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DannAconda44

Reviewed August 2, 2011

I booked this hotel on a leap of faith having stayed at Springhill in Michigan. This hotel was surprisingly a great find in Downtown Memphis. It is down the street from Beale and right off the highway for road trippers. It faces a sweet southern square with a trolley that passes by. NOTE: There is a parking fee for parking but the lot is well guarded and shared with 2 other hotels. The rooms were large and clean and there is free wifi. After a long 7 hour drive from Texas, we were greeted by a friendly and comical host who pointed us straight to the Manager’s happy hour for complimentary cocktails and snacks. If you need starbucks, the courtyard next door serves it. Otherwise, this was great a find that will not cramp your budget. We will be back next road trip to Memphis.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed at the SpringHill Downtown Memphis July 2011 for 2 nights.

First, previous posts mention the hotel is a bit difficult to find which is true. Some streets near the hotel are blocked off due to construction and we just happened upon an alley way short cut to get to the hotel.

We arrived at 3 pm only to find our room was not ready and wouldn't be for 15-20 minutes. The front desk was not apologetic nor did they suggest we have a seat in the lobby and a cup of coffee while we wait. Only said the room was not ready. I found this to be sorely lacking in managerial training, especially since I'm a Marriott Elite customer. You don't just say the room is not ready without offering some apology or suggestion on what to do in the meantime. So we hopped back in our car and drove around for a bit, to get an idea of the area and where we actually were in relation to Beale. We came back about 30 mins later and our room was ready. Another gentleman checked us in and his attitude was no better than the first lady at the front desk. No welcome, very curt and abrupt manner, just looked at me and said "yes?" when I approached the desk. We were the only ones there checking in so it's not like they were overwhelmed with guests at the time (which is no excuse either).

Our room was in the Kress building and had 2 queen beds plus a sofa sleeper in the sitting area. We had a microwave, a mini fridge and a bar sink with coffee maker. The bathroom was of the type I don't particularly care for....shower/tub and commode in a separate room from the sink vanity and mirror. I guess it's handy since one person can be showering while another is using the mirror to get ready but I just prefer everything together! Also, they could've cut down on the room size and enlarged the bathroom as it was shaped very oddly. The decor was nice, beds fairly comfortable. I did notice some cigarette burn holes in the sofa cushion even though it is a non-smoking hotel. Towels were not plentiful and on the 2nd day they only left us one of each type! For 3 people...

Wifi was available and worked well during our stay although we'd have to reconnect after a period of inactivity. We never had a problem accessing it though.

We used the valet parking which is the same price as the self-park: $12 plus tax. It's very high for a city of this size, in my opinion. Our experience with the valet was good; they were quick in retrieving our car and very courteous.

The hotel is about half a mile or more from Beale which is walkable if you are used to urban environments and don't mind walking. There is also a street car/trolley that runs right outside the hotel. Main Street has some nice restaurants too, and is a quiet area with apartments, lofts, little eateries etc. We had one dinner at "Local" which is a restaurant/bar on Main that was excellent. There is also a Walgreens and a market/grocery on Main Street.

Other posts mention the park across from the hotel and the people that hang out there. We noticed so many homeless people in this city, more than any other we've been to with the exception of Seattle. We were never approached for money or anything but the area around the hotel seems kind of run down. There is a lot of litter and it's just not very well maintained. As you walk down Main or take the trolley, you will note many security cameras and we did see quite a number of police in the area at all times so we never felt unsafe.

Overall impression of the hotel was very good. I did like the hotel overall, it seems a good value with the exception of the parking cost.

Room Tip: Kress Building is very nice; front desk personnel could use management course
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the historic Kress building part of the hotel, very clean and comfortable room on the 5th floor, a very friendly staff, and a short walk from Beale Street. The only critique is our window opened up to a building with no windows just a few feet away so there was absolutely no view and it reflected the morning sun like a mirror. So I have to down grade the hotel for that, otherwise a great choice to explore downtown Memphis.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Very reasonably priced and within walking distance to good restaurants. Area around the trolley line appears fairly safe - I walked at night with no issues.

The entire lobby was under construction and I had to defeat a maze to find my room, but the room was quiet, clean, and spacious. I never heard construction noise from my room. Having stayed here before and during the construction, I prefer this hotel and will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights & had a great time. Rooms are well equipped, clean & comfortable. Staff are very helpful. Location is fantastic, walking distance from good bars & restaurants, plus the trolley on Main st stops just behind the hotel. Breakfast can be chaotic at the weekend, but that's the only negative feedback

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night in July 2011 so that we could see Memphis, visit Graceland, and keep travelling north. We had reserved a 2 Queen Bed suite with a pull-out sofa since there were 3 adults in our party. We arrived around 8pm on a Saturday night and were given our room. After unloading all of our luggage and starting to leave for dinner, one of us sat down on the pull out twin bed from the sofa and fell all the way through to the floor. There were no springs underneath! Thankfully no one was hurt and we proceeded to the front desk to ask for another room. We were given another room and went to dinner before we repacked up and moved our stuff. Once we got back at 10p and loaded up our stuff to move, we realized they had given us a room directly across from the elevator and next door to the ice/soda machines. We were too exhausted at this point to move again. Then we realized we had no sheets for the pull-out sofa and were told we had to come down to the front desk to get them as there was no one to help the front desk lady. (Really? No one?) Then we realized we had no towels and so we went back to the room we had left and moved those since we knew we would once again have to go help ourselves at the front desk. As we tried to sleep, we realized our air conditioner was old and made a horrible rattling noise whenever the compressor kicked on. Let's just say it was not a great experience and we were quite exhausted the next day. All of this for $149/night plus $12/night for parking. Ugh. The location is great and the carriages and pedestrian streets are wonderful at night. But there is no way I would try this hotel again. Not at this location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends