All reviews kress building main street trolley line beale st valet parking within walking distance court square self park few blocks breakfast room oatmeal mud island sitting area sofa bed free breakfast would stay here again civil rights museum
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I booked this hotel on a leap of faith having stayed at Springhill in Michigan. This hotel was surprisingly a great find in Downtown Memphis. It is down the street from Beale and right off the highway for road trippers. It faces a sweet southern square with a trolley that passes by. NOTE: There is a parking fee for parking but the lot is well guarded and shared with 2 other hotels. The rooms were large and clean and there is free wifi. After a long 7 hour drive from Texas, we were greeted by a friendly and comical host who pointed us straight to the Manager’s happy hour for complimentary cocktails and snacks. If you need starbucks, the courtyard next door serves it. Otherwise, this was great a find that will not cramp your budget. We will be back next road trip to Memphis.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed at the SpringHill Downtown Memphis July 2011 for 2 nights.

First, previous posts mention the hotel is a bit difficult to find which is true. Some streets near the hotel are blocked off due to construction and we just happened upon an alley way short cut to get to the hotel.

We arrived at 3 pm only to find our room was not ready and wouldn't be for 15-20 minutes. The front desk was not apologetic nor did they suggest we have a seat in the lobby and a cup of coffee while we wait. Only said the room was not ready. I found this to be sorely lacking in managerial training, especially since I'm a Marriott Elite customer. You don't just say the room is not ready without offering some apology or suggestion on what to do in the meantime. So we hopped back in our car and drove around for a bit, to get an idea of the area and where we actually were in relation to Beale. We came back about 30 mins later and our room was ready. Another gentleman checked us in and his attitude was no better than the first lady at the front desk. No welcome, very curt and abrupt manner, just looked at me and said "yes?" when I approached the desk. We were the only ones there checking in so it's not like they were overwhelmed with guests at the time (which is no excuse either).

Our room was in the Kress building and had 2 queen beds plus a sofa sleeper in the sitting area. We had a microwave, a mini fridge and a bar sink with coffee maker. The bathroom was of the type I don't particularly care for....shower/tub and commode in a separate room from the sink vanity and mirror. I guess it's handy since one person can be showering while another is using the mirror to get ready but I just prefer everything together! Also, they could've cut down on the room size and enlarged the bathroom as it was shaped very oddly. The decor was nice, beds fairly comfortable. I did notice some cigarette burn holes in the sofa cushion even though it is a non-smoking hotel. Towels were not plentiful and on the 2nd day they only left us one of each type! For 3 people...

Wifi was available and worked well during our stay although we'd have to reconnect after a period of inactivity. We never had a problem accessing it though.

We used the valet parking which is the same price as the self-park: $12 plus tax. It's very high for a city of this size, in my opinion. Our experience with the valet was good; they were quick in retrieving our car and very courteous.

The hotel is about half a mile or more from Beale which is walkable if you are used to urban environments and don't mind walking. There is also a street car/trolley that runs right outside the hotel. Main Street has some nice restaurants too, and is a quiet area with apartments, lofts, little eateries etc. We had one dinner at "Local" which is a restaurant/bar on Main that was excellent. There is also a Walgreens and a market/grocery on Main Street.

Other posts mention the park across from the hotel and the people that hang out there. We noticed so many homeless people in this city, more than any other we've been to with the exception of Seattle. We were never approached for money or anything but the area around the hotel seems kind of run down. There is a lot of litter and it's just not very well maintained. As you walk down Main or take the trolley, you will note many security cameras and we did see quite a number of police in the area at all times so we never felt unsafe.

Overall impression of the hotel was very good. I did like the hotel overall, it seems a good value with the exception of the parking cost.

Room tip: Kress Building is very nice; front desk personnel could use management course
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the historic Kress building part of the hotel, very clean and comfortable room on the 5th floor, a very friendly staff, and a short walk from Beale Street. The only critique is our window opened up to a building with no windows just a few feet away so there was absolutely no view and it reflected the morning sun like a mirror. So I have to down grade the hotel for that, otherwise a great choice to explore downtown Memphis.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Very reasonably priced and within walking distance to good restaurants. Area around the trolley line appears fairly safe - I walked at night with no issues.

The entire lobby was under construction and I had to defeat a maze to find my room, but the room was quiet, clean, and spacious. I never heard construction noise from my room. Having stayed here before and during the construction, I prefer this hotel and will stay here again.

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights & had a great time. Rooms are well equipped, clean & comfortable. Staff are very helpful. Location is fantastic, walking distance from good bars & restaurants, plus the trolley on Main st stops just behind the hotel. Breakfast can be chaotic at the weekend, but that's the only negative feedback