“Managerial Mayhem”
Review of Madison Hotel

Madison Hotel
Ranked #12 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed August 26, 2007

The Madison Hotel in Memphis is an attractive facility with many hardworking staff, but poor management spoiled our recent stay.

We selected the hotel because of its location and its highly publicized free Continental Breakfast.

Upon checking in we were told that breakfast was served on the mezzanine. The following morning we arrived there and had a nice, but not extravagant breakfast from the buffet offering coffee, juices, breads and pastries and lox. As we were getting ready to leave a waiter presented us with a check for $30. I tried to explain that we were entitled, according to our reservation confirmation, to a free breakfast, but the waiter spoke limited English. I signed the check and called the front desk from my room. I was told that the hotel no longer had a CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST, but a EUROPEAN BREAKFAST and the cost was $15 per person.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told to call back in an hour. Later that morning I was told the the hotel had changed its policy since I made my reservation but that the $30 charge would be removed from my bill and that we would be served our free Continental Breakfast, not on the mezzanine, but in the Hotel Bar/Restaurant. This occurred with no further problems, although the $30 charge was still on my bill when I went to check out three days later.

The hotel also advertised shuttle service to the airport. I called the concierge two days before we were to leave, and requested an 11:30 pickup. She asked me to stop at her desk and sign an order confirmation, which I did. On Monday, when no limo had arrived by 11:45, I asked the doorman to call about our ride, which arrrived around noon. The limo driver later told me she had been told to pick us up at 11:00 but that no one at the hotel knew who the ride was for, so she had left.

The other major irritant was turn down service. This consisted of a maid who knocked on doors each evening offering ice and chocolates. Since it was in the 100's during our stay we took a shower before dinner. But turndown did not include fresh towels, toilet paper, or kleenex. Just ice and chocolates. When I did corner the maid one evening as we were nearly out of toilet paper she needed to visit the supply closets on three floors before coming up with a roll. The Madison advertises itself as a luxury boutique hotel, but its communication and service do not meet this standard.

DRL, Schaumburg, IL

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DRL51
Write a ReviewReviews (2,128)

Reviewed August 20, 2007

The Madison is a very hip hotel that tries to live up to its ratings. The front desk clerk could not retrieve my reservation and I waited a good 20 minutes to finally check in. Our room was a nice size yet faced Madison street which made it quite noisy. We went in mid July which happened to be the hottest time on record- thank goodness our a/c was working. The lighting in the bathroom is non existent...perfect for disguising wrinkles! This is about the only thing I think the hotel could improve on as far as room quality.
I was impressed with the valet service but be prepared to wait for a long time for your car to show up. (I suggest calling ahead at least 15 minutes before you are ready to leave). Parking is somewhat of a nightmare and I often parked my own car and had the valet move it when they were ready.
Overall a good experience and I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Addison_texasWendyw
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Something rubbed me the wrong way about this hotel. Maybe it was the location - it IS in downtown, but in a kind of desolate area, not really within safe walking distance of any of the fun on Beale street. The room was also quite small, with modern (yet slightly tacky) decor, though the bathroom was absolutely beautiful. There's something off-putting about the service. It's almost too much, and instead of constantly being asked if everything was ok (even from catering people I saw in the elevator), I would have preferred a simple smile. Lobby was cool, and bed was decent, but I think next time I will stay at the Residence Inn or the Hampton, since their locations were better.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Simibot
Reviewed August 2, 2007

Wish somebody had told us this BEFORE we booked the room. There is MAJOR construction going on right next door. The jackhammers start at 7am til around 4:30. There is no escaping it. We left after one night.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank ontherdagain
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I stayed at the Madison for the first time last week. Overall is was a very pleasant stay. The location of the hotel is great, right in the middle of downtown Memphis. Staff was very friendly, from the doorman, to the front desk, to the room service waiters. All were excellent.

Hotel rooms are very unique, different in size. Nicely decorated and come with free internet access, which is great for the business traveler. My room was a little tight but a single person can fit just fine. Room was very clean as well.

Negatives: I stayed on the southern part of the hotel and there is construction going on next door that started pretty early in the morning. Also, I ordered room service twice and both times the bill was incorrect when delivered, one time I was overcharged nearly $15.

Overall it is a nice hotel though and I would recommend to other travelers.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Balckyball
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Like several reviewers, the Madison is a great hotel but there are still some service issues outstanding. Super friendly front desk who greet you by name. Helpful with any questions I had.

What irritated me was that I had booked a Bankers King room. When I checked in they processed my booking. However, when I got to my room it was obviously a Queen bed (I am not stupid!). When I contacted the front desk, they said "oops, sorry" but there were no Kings available. Why was this when I booked well in advance? And why not be honest? They said they would reduce the price (after I insisted) but I think it unacceptable that I have to raise it with them. If I had not complained, then I would have been charged the full rate. Incidentally, the Queen room (mine anyway) did not have a mini-bar. Very strange for a luxury hotel.

To add to this, my luggage "Which was being brought straight up" took about a half an hour to get to my room. I had to ring down for it.

My final gripe was that when I asked for a taxi for the airport they said the hotel car was available and I did not need a taxi. OK but I paid about 25% more for the luxury. Give people the clear choice. "Do you want the hotel car or shall I call a taxi?"

Those complaints aside, it is a beautiful hotel in a good location and the staff are really open, friendly, and helpful. And I mean all of them! The breakfast was included and better than I thought. It was an enjoyable stay (I loved Memphis!).

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank Tagesthemen
Reviewed July 10, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Madison Hotel for the 4th of July weekend, as we have done every year for the past few years. This hotel keeps getting better and better. Check in was a breeze and we were given an even better rate than we were quoted at the time of booking. Everyone was very nice and the in-room dining staff were especially great. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. The rooms are consistantly clean, the hotel's location is perfect for walking to downtown attractions, and the roof-top and gym are open 24/7. We vacation in Memphis a couple of times a year and have stayed at several other hotels in the same price range, both downtown and in Germantown but keep coming back to the Madison, you can't beat it! A very special Thank You to everyone working at the Madison for giving us such a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple