“A Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Houston, TX
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

Stopped over in Memphis on a road trip from Chicago to Texas and picked the Madison on the basis of recommendation from a colleague.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful with unloading luggage and at check in. The property is in excellent condition - everything appeared to be brand new.

The room was not huge but it was spacious enough, with all of the amenities that you would expect from a luxury boutique hotel (e.g. minibar), including a wet bar and coffee maker. The bathroom was large and had a great shower. The bed was extremely comfortable and we were able to get a good night's sleep.

The next morning we went down to the Mezzanine level where the hotel serves a continental breakfast - the food was fresh and of good quality.

All in all, we would stay here again and definitely would recommend to anyone who is looking for a small luxury hotel experience in Memphis.

• Liked — Friendly helpful staff; 1st class accomodations
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jebarrett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Madison over Valentine's Day this year and had a wonderful experience. The room was spacious and well-appointed. There is a turndown service every night which is wonderful. All of the nights we went out we came back to a clean room, chocolates on the pillows and more. The location is also great and we were able to walk to a majority of the major attractions in the city, including Beale Street, the Rock and Soul Museum, Gibson Guitar Factory, FedEx Forum, The National Civil Rights Museum and more. I saw a lot of other reviews regarding poor management or customer service and saw none of this. In fact, everyone we ran into in the hotel from check in to check out was friendly and helpful. Even when we ran into staff in the hallway or lobby they said hello and asked us how our stay was going. We also ate in Grill 83, the hotel restaurant, one of the nights we were there and were treated like royalty by everyone from the hostess to bartender to the waiter we had. (By the way, the Kansas City Bone-In steak rivals any of the big steakhouses in Chicago!) Additionally, the continental breakfast included with the room is fantastic.

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank lawgoddess1
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2007

We went to Memphis for one night on 02/03/2007 to see Bob Segar @ the Pyramid. We loved the hotel and Memphis. The hotel was nice and the employees are wonderful. Will go out of their way to do anything you may require of them. The rooms are nice but they are a bit smaller than they look on the internet. The pillows and bed sleep wonderfully and the bathrooms are awesome. Really big and updated. The hot water really gets hot quickly so watch yourself. We had awesome views of the river and the rest of the city. Check in was a breeze No wait!! After we checked in we hit Bealle Street to find some of that great food that Memphis is known for. We ended up eating @ Pig. It was terrible and the service was not very friendly or prompt. Never checked on us. 3 Onion rings as a side item was $3.25!!! Had the chicken nachos......terrible. They were really hot and I could have just taken the jalapenos off but they still left the taste on the nachos. The chicken was awful. My husband had the ribs/chicken plate and although he said it was pretty good the service was the turn off for him. Anyway, we went to see Bob Segar @ the Pyramid and had a fabulous time. The trolley system is GREAT! Even w/ a sold out show it was no problem @ all. Walking around Memphis is piece of cake. When we left on Sunday for home we went to the mezzanine for a complimentary continental breakfast it was really good. Had cold cereals, bagels, croissants, butter, cream cheese, jellies, danishes, coffee, juices, and fresh fruit. It was very good. The terrace on the roof is a really nice view. It was really cold and windy but I bet the Summer is a blast. We didn't use the valet parking instead we parked @ a public 24 hour parking garage. No problems there either. The employees were excellent and will go to any length to help you out. There is no ice machine but they also had someone bring us up a bag of ice w/out even asking them too!! We talked with the conceirge and he informed us that lots of celebrities and athletes stay @ the Madison and would choose it over the Peabody. I can see why! The Peabody looks old and ran down from the outside. Did not see the inside or go to it so that's all I can compare it to. While we were there the Indiana Pacers were there! Bob Segar was reported to have wanted to stay there but it was full! Overall, the Madison is a great hotel if you have the $$$to spend. Other than the rooms being small and the price I would recommend. If only we could have had enough time to try different restaurants I believe we could have had a really great time. A day isn't enough time for Memphis.

Stayed February 2007
8 Thank ATLGARED
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

I feel compelled to impart how disappointed my friends and I were during our stay at the Madison Hotel January 29-31, 2007. Having come highly recommended, we chose the hotel for our quick trip for a dear friend's funeral.

Upon our arrival, we were provided a very nice room. Due to obligations, we immediately went to the family visitation and then returned later in the evening and dined in your restaurant. When we returned to our room, the heat was not on so we turned it up and went to bed. The following morning, it was freezing in the room. We contacted the front desk, who immediately sent someone to repair the heat. After nearly two hours the heat was not fixed but the engineer said it would not be much longer. We asked that he please allow us to get ready for our day. He indicated he would return in an hour to finish fixing the heat. We returned to our room briefly prior to the funeral service and again noted that the heat was turned off. We turned the heat on and proceeded to the service. We returned to our room later that evening, after having spent additional time in your restaurant, to find that it again was freezing cold. We contacted the front desk. They sent up another engineer. He informed us that "you should never have even been in this room with the heat not working - they knew it did not work." After a time, I requested another suitable room. We were offered a room with one king bed, which would not work for three people or a room with a fold-out couch, again not acceptable. Finally, I requested extra blankets. Later, after we had already prepared ourselves for bed, we were offered a room on another floor. The bellman brought us keys to this other room well after 10 pm and my two friends had fallen asleep.

The following morning at checkout, I requested that we be compensated for this obvious inconvenience. Apparently, a front desk clerk had left a note for the shift coming on at 3 pm on Tuesday to get in touch with us and move us to another room. This information was never imparted to us. In fact, I had to request another room late that evening. The front desk clerk informed me that she was not authorized to make compensation and readily agreed to contact the Front Desk Manager. Apparently the Front Desk Manager reluctantly agreed to provide us a 25% discount on the room. I found this to be totally unacceptable! Upon the Front Desk Manager’s arrival, and after attempting to explain the situation, she condescendingly asked, "just what would be acceptable to you." I informed her that at the very least, we should be compensated with a full refund of our room charges for Tuesday night. I further requested that she try to make contact with the general manager, whom we had met in the hotel restaurant the night before. She indicated that she would not call his cell phone. Never once did she apologize for our inconvenience and was quite arrogant in her interaction with us. Needless to say, what was already a trying time due to the reason for our visit, our stay at the facility was less than desirable.

Upon my arrival back home, I found that the debit card that was used to reserve the room had been charged for our entire bill, including the full price of the room as well as the restaurant bill. At checkout, we paid in full for our expenses with a credit card. I phoned the front desk early Friday morning and requested that someone please call me back. I did not receive a call. I again called around 8:30 am and was informed that the charges would be removed from my debit card, usually within 48-72 hours. If you are able to immediately debit my account, I cannot fathom that you are unable to credit the same immediately. I requested that Leslie call me at her earliest convenience - well, I am still waiting on that call. I contacted my bank and have had those charges removed.

What should have been a pleasurable experience for my friends and me during such an emotional time due to our loved one's passing, unfortunately resulted in utter disappointment.

• Liked — restaurant
  • Disliked — management's disregard for guest inconvenience
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank MKHFlorida
Western Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2007

I stayed at the Madison for a business conference in mid-January '07. Of the 20 people in our party, 13 of us were unable to get into our rooms until hours after the 3pm check-in time. After arriving at 12:30 (of course too early to expect immediate check-in), I received my room key at 7pm, well after our scheduled cocktail party had begun. Several of my colleagues had to camp out in the lobby for hours. At no point were we told we would have such a long delay. Upon receipt of my key, I took two of my less fortunate colleagues to my room to freshen up; waiting for the elevator, we ran into a busload of Phoenix Suns players who were just arriving and were able to walk right into their rooms without a wait. (BTW, one of my colleagues had her room key delivered at 8:30pm, which is just outrageous and, after many years of business travel, unprecedented.)

During this time we were not offered anything by the staff; no manager greeted us, apologized, or made an appearance. This occurred on a Sunday. No hotel management approached our conference coordinator, despite her requests for attention, until Tuesday morning, at which time she was told by the property manager that on Sunday they had "set up a drinks and dessert bar" on the mezzanine for us to wait for our rooms, which we had "declined" at a cost of $700 -- a jaw-dropping falsehood! Not one of us was informed that such a spread existed, therefore we had no opportunity to decline -- as if we would have (although how drinks and dessert would total $700 for 20 people...you be the judge). After arguing this point, she was finally given 10% off our room rate.

Naturally, this experience put a damper on our stay.

As we booked reservations well in advance, booked a meeting room for two days, scheduled 6 meals on-site, spent considerable dollars in the bar, and are --honest-- generally a well-traveled, polite crew who tips well, this was a pretty appalling experience. I chalk this up to a problem at the very top; many of the staff employees we interacted with were perfectly pleasant, although possibly not well-trained to effectively handle problems.

That said, the food was very good, and the rooms had comfortable beds, huge bathrooms and separate showers. Internet connection was erratic, and the heat in my room was broken. It's possible that this was an aberration, but if I were booking this property for a group event, I would proceed with extreme caution. Actually, I wouldn't recommend it at all -- which is unfortunate.

• Liked — Nicely appointed rooms, paricularly the bathrooms; good food
  • Disliked — terrible, terrible service
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Another_TravelerWMA
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2007

My pleasure is the popular phrase at this hotel. Celebrating a girfriend's 40th birthday in Memphis we selected the Madison. The rooms were spacious and clean and the service unbelievable. This hotel is in the heart of downtown Memphis and great for a weekend getaway!

Loved it.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank RayMat
Oxford, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2007

This review is a little late, but better late than never I suppose. After our wedding my wife and I stayed at the Madison Hotel. When we arrived the bellperson picked up our luggage while we went to the front desk to check in. The check in was quick and painless since we had made reservations in advance. We were then escourted to our room with our luggage. We had strawberries and whipped cream waiting on us in the room. It was a great touch. We had a suite with a loveseat and tv. We had an unreal view of the river. After we got settled in we headed to the bar and ordered the wedding cake martini. I highly reccommend one. The next morning check out went easy. The hotel had arranged for a taxi to be there waiting to take us to the airport. It was a great stay. Everyone one was nice and went out of their way to make our stay special.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple