“Beautiful hotel, great staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Madison Hotel

Madison Hotel
Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful hotel, great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I love this hotel. It was my first stay in Memphis and I rate this lovely boutique hotel up there with the Mercer or Thompson in New York City and the Hotel Monaco in Chicago and Seattle. First rate, world class, with just the right touch of southern hospitality.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

We booked with this hotel because it was our ANNIVERSARY!!! Worst mistake we could have made.
Upon arrival the check in clerk was very rude. I felt she was prejudice, She was an African-American female...I state her race because I am also an African-American female and we can be very prejudice to our own race. I was simply dressed wearing a t-shirt with capri's. There was a white couple ahead of me and she did not ask them for identification. She asked their name and for a credit card. When I reached the desk.. she looked at me ...very disapprovingly and said "Can I help you?" I said I have reservations. She asked me for my name, credit card, and two types of identification. Which I readily provided. Upon leaving the hotel, I asked to speak to the manager because the comode in our bathroom constantly ran...making noises all night and after flushing it once..it stopped flusing but still made the noise. To my surprise...the clerk who checked me in was the "Manager"...I told her about the comode, and asked, if we could be compensated...She stated "NO". I told her thank you...this has been the most expensive mistake of my life. I let her know that I will be filing a compliant with the Mlitary.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank cmdella
Indy, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

Along with spouse and teen daughter on Spring Break, I picked Memphis as a destination, for a nice drive from Indy, and chose the Madison after reading positive reviews in Frommers. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Anthony, bellman & valet, who promptly took our things to our room. A warm day for Spring & after an hour there, the room was just not cooling down as expected. I reported this to the front desk as we left to have dinner. Upon return, the front desk assigned a new room, 1 floor below the 1st room and it was perfect. The amenities were top notch---mattress, bedclothes, furniture, toiletries, towels, etc.----my only observation is that it's time to switch to flat panel TV's. The location is ideal for a tourist area walking tour, including Beale St. Or, for $1, hop the trolly to the Civil Rights Museum or stroll down to the riverfront. If you forgot something, a Walgreens and cigar store are 1/2 block away on the corner of Main & Madison.
A trip to Memphis would not be complete without at least one meal of BBQ ribs, and The Rendezvous, I was told is THE place. My wife and I got into our car to get a take out order, but at their published address on Second St., we couldn't find the restaurant! We circled back to the Hotel to ask Anthony how to get there ---- he volunteered to ride along & escort us there. He & my wife were in & out in 10 minutes and back at the Madison in no time.
I think one of the best features of the Madison is the roof deck 16th floor.. My daughter enjoyed going up there to just look at the River and cityscape at night. I had a quiet cigar while doing the same. When I return to Memphis, I'll be checking into the Madison again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

We had a most disappointing experience at the Madison Hotel – an ordeal of numerous room changes and inefficient service, as follows:
1. The first room we were put into was not made up (this was at 8pm on a Saturday night). 2. The second room we transferred to did not have heating capabilities on the HVAC system. After being told that “the rapid weather change had impacted the HVAC system for the hotel” we froze for 45 minutes until a new room could be located. 3. In ordering room service, your room service staff was not familiar with many items on the menu, and I found myself explaining these items over the phone! 4. Once I ordered, I was told that the wait would be 30 minutes. One hour later, I had to call and track down the food. 5. There was no bread with my dinner for 3 people. In addition, I was told that I could not order a glass of wine from room service – just a bottle. If I wanted a glass, I could go down to the bar and bring it up myself! 6. I called the night before to arrange for breakfast. I needed it delivered specifically at 6:30am as we had an early flight to catch. I was told that the staff arrived at 6am and that this would not be a problem. In the morning, when the food had not arrived by 6:40am, I called and spoke to someone who told me “oh yeah, I was out late last night and just got in – what was it that you wanted…”. I promptly cancelled the order. 7. That same morning, I had requested a second wake up call – which never came! 8. Also that morning, I was told that a bellman would be right up to help me with my bags. After another ten minutes waiting, my wife and I had to manage our own bags to the lobby. 9. The blankets on your beds were of the cheap polyester variety that I would expect in a low end Florida time share – not an exclusive luxury hotel. There were also no Qtips in your bathrooms – an amenity that every Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons provide. I travel extensively and just cannot tell you how disappointed I was with my stay at your hotel.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank GlobetrotterExec
mamadali, Owner at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
We are terribly sorry that your experience at the Madison was disappointing to you. As you know we have followed up with you and are just disappointed that not only you did not bring any of tehse issues to the attention of any of our managers so that they could be addressed while you were at the Hotel, but you waited two years to post your dissatisfaction.

While service breakdowns can take place at the best establishments, they can not be addressed to the guest's satisfaction unless the Hotel receives timely, preferably while the guest is at the Hotel, feedback to address the issues. We wished you had given us the opportunity to recover from teh service breakdowns at the time of your visit.
Clinton, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed there with my family during spring break, I booked it through hotwire.com. The first words that come to mind are swanky ad upscale, because I booked through hotwire, I didn't know the hotel until the very end. With that said, if I'd known it was going to be an upscale hotel I probably would not have booked it traveling with young children because, I feel, it's more suited for adults than young children. With that said, the hotel is very nice and in walking distance of Beale St and most downtown attractions. There is a trolley line that is about 70 yards from the entrance to the building; the fee to ride the trolley is 1.00. There is a wonderful view of the Mississippi river from atop the hotel. The rooms are up to date with the exception of the television, it's the old tube model, I felt that a flat screen would've been better especially given the room rates. There is a doorman that doubles as a valet, the valet fees are 23 per day plus tax, parking is difficult so I used the valet service There is a restaurant on site call Grill 83, it's very pricey though; with martini's costing almost 10.00 each. A complimentary continental breakfast is offered. It's a great hotel but don't forget your wallet.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

Everything about this hotel was great. It is located right in the center of Memphis, a few blocks away (walking distance) to Beale St and the Mississippi river. It has a great roof terrace area that offers great views of the city and the river. The staff were very nice and helpful, with great recommendations for food and things to do. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and they have.... Molton Brown products!!!! Very imrpessive for Tennessee!!! I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Jonesboro, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

For a spur of the moment trip, my spouse and I decided to drive an hour from our home and spend the night in Memphis, TN. After searching hotels online, we chose the Madison Hotel, which I was familiar with but had never visited. The general thought is that the Peabody is the nicest hotel in downtown Memphis. However, this is not the case. While the Madison is much smaller, it is much more modern than the Peabody. The rooms and the Madison are very tastefully decorated and the hotel staff is exceptional. We did have a slight problem upon checkin when our room was not ready after the designated time it was promised. However, we were finally given a room within an hour, actually being placed on a higher floor than anticipated. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Memphis. Skip staying in the famed Peabody and simply hang out in the Peabody Lobby with the ducks for cocktails and spend the night at the Madison!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple