“Had a great time, but ...”
Review of Madison Hotel

Madison Hotel
Ranked #8 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed August 6, 2006

As others have mentioned here, the Madison Hotel has potential for being a really great place. The front line staff were fine for us. Nor did we have any problems with room service (although very limited selection) or housekeeping. The bellmen and valet parking were also first rate (I prefer to use valet parking, although other reviewers don't seem to appreciate the service).
The negatives are things that can (and should) be remedied easily. The roof top terrace is barren and uninviting. The pool is not sufficiently heated. The management is uninvolved and may as well stay home and phone in to check on things.
However, nice rooms, decent bar, acceptable lobby, friendly front staff. I had a pleasant stay there.

• Stayed: July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank al_parkcity
There are newer reviews for Madison Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2006

Me and my wife planned a weekend getaway and ended up going to Graceland. We stayed at the Madison for two evenings, and was a pleasant stay. The hotel is on a crowded street Downtown Memphis, so the valet parking can get pretty jammed up, but they were fast and effecient. I went to the checkout desk and identified myself and the gentleman at the counter remembered me by name and where I was from. nice touch. The room itself was nice. Clean as a whistle with nice amenities. They sent up chocolate strawberries for our first evening there. nice touch. The hotel has a nice work out facility in the basement, as well as an indoor pool. The pool is small
and is more of a lap pool than a hangout. Again clean as a whistle and the work out room was really cool. It had music that the volume was adjustable,and a mini fridge stocked with bottled water. good stuff. The room service menu was nice but pricey, but that is expected at a hotel of this caliber. Our room package came with a continental sit down breakfast that was nice, the only down side is that seating is limited , so send a scout down to check it out and stake your table. There is a nice bar attached to the hotel, but we didnt eat there. There is also a little pizza shop next door whose pizza wasnt too bad for the price, but they had weird hours. Beale street is only a five minute trolley ride down the street and the stops for it is right on the street that runs behind the hotel. We ate dinner at the Pig, hung out on Beale st, took the trolley all the way around the city and came back to the hotel. Very nice. The hotel's roof has one of the, if not the best views of the river. The only bummer was there was a large wedding on saturday on the roof, but wasnt too big a deal. A little tip about graceland isthat there are two or three free shuttles to graceland from Beale street, which we didnt find out until it was too late. All in all nice stay. A little pricey compared to some of the other boutique style hotels, but service was top notch, valet was excellent and most importantly it was as clean as you would expect from a boutique hotel. Overall a pleasant experience.

4  Thank Fatness101
Reviewed July 25, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Maddison at the end of March en route from LA to New York by train. Our first impressions were that of a first class Hotel. However, the efficiency of the staff let the wholeplace down.

1. Room service...... total failure to deliver promises - ice - bags - room not made up at 5.00pm in afternoon!

2. Confusion over billing. Vouchers not recognised at check in then had to wait for 1 hour to sort out!

3. Pre-booked taxis not turning up and then being charged for the hotel limo which we did not want.

The manager needs to be sacked and the staff put on customer service courses!

Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank MaxBaz
Reviewed June 18, 2006

You have to valet your car which is $15 a day or you had to walk a good block to park which was cheap. The only catch is that there's only one that stays open on Sundays so if you park your car it will be stuck. There's one on the right hand side that is open. The hotel is nice. The pool isn't outside it's in the basement. The top of the hotel is open so you can look out over the river. There are no lawn chairs to layout. The rooms were clean and nice. There wasn't anything extremely nice about it though. The bathroom was my favorite part, but it only has one sink. I would stay there again after I compared the prices of nearby hotels. I would love'd to had stayed at the Marriott downtown across from Hooter's it was in the best location I saw. Have fun!

3  Thank KMartin78
Reviewed June 17, 2006

Arrived from England to do the Memphis/Elvis thing and chose The Madison for a three night stay after trawling through all the Trip Advisor reviews.
We find that we are in general agreement with most reviewers, i.e. the hotel was very chic but there are a number of service issues.
Good things: Ambience and decor,we knew we were in Memphis, (the Stax C.D. in the room was a nice idea and the lobby/mezzanine blues decor was spot on).
Rooms were of a good size and very comfortable.
The location was perfect,quiet but just a few blocks from the action and half a block from the trolley line.
Roof terrace.Beautiful views of the Mississippi though only one bench on our visit, not adequate even for our party of four people.
Staff very, and I thought, genuinely friendly as were all Memphians we met.
Bad things:
Although as I've said the staff were very welcoming their best intentions were rarely converted into actions.Upon arrival we had been told that our bags would be delivered to our rooms but I had to go down to the lobby to collect our bags after 20mins or so,and return again for those of our travelling companions after another long wait, having been told when collecting my bags that the others would be taken right up to our companions room.There were a number of other instances too were our queries simply disappeared into the ether.
Very little info. either on the hotel or Memphis was available in the rooms or the public areas.
We have a dispute with the final cost, not on the amount we signed for upon checking out,which was not bad value, but on checking our bank account when arriving home we have an extra deduction made ( this was dated 4 days after leaving Memphis) for an unspecified item,and the cost of the rooms seems to be about £100 sterling more than we signed for (taking into account the rate of exchange).We e-mailed the Madison 3 days ago concerning our queries but have not yet received a reply.
In conclusion the minuses,though annoying,were not enough to spoil what was a wonderful few days in a grand hotel and a great city, but do take into account what turned out to be good advice from TripAdvisor reviewers.

• Stayed: May 2006
10  Thank caro103
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2006

I had reviewed this hotel only about two months ago when I stayed and loved it, but things have changed drastically. I went to check in early on Saturday, May 13th and found the front desk to have only one agent on duty. She was honestly doing an admirable job, answering three lines and checking me in. When I was asking her a question, the telephone began to ring yet again. Before she could anwer, the General Manager who was standing in the lobby at the time, very rudely yells at her (in the middle of the lobby mind you) to answer the phone. She looks up and yells at him, telling him to answer the phone and can't he see that she is busy. This is supposed to be a four diamond hotel, but I had a feeling I was at some place on the side of the road.

Aside from that incident, everything seems like it isn't as nice as it was before. I had asked for a higher floor and was put on a lower floor. This could have been due to the fact that I arrived early, but I would have been willing to wait. Also, the restaurant / bar seemed to have had two managers, but only one bartender while the bar was hopping.

At check-out, I spoke with the Front Desk Manager, who was very cordial and apologetic about my experience, but at the point I had already made up my mind. I'll try another hotel when I come to Memphis. For the price that I paid, I expected a certain level of service, what I received was definately not it.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 9, 2006

We stayed at the Madison June 3rd while in Memphis for Mamma Mia! Beautiful lobby. Attentive staff - not the norm in Memphis. Quick, painless check-in - early too. Valet parking is $15. This is a completely NON-SMOKING hotel - you must sign a waiver stating you won't smoke anywhere in the hotel when you check-in.

Clean, nicely furnished room. We had a king room w/ a wet bar. Our bath did not have a tub - not a problem for us. The shower was a large walk-in - with a bit of a slow drain.

The hotel is only a block from the trolley, but we mostly walked since everything was so close.

We had the complimentary continental breakfast. It has a good selection of pastry, cereals, and fresh fruits. We did not eat in Grill 83, but did have cocktails there, the restaurant was lovely and the bartender was very friendly.

Definitely check out the rooftop terrace - during the day and after dark. It's a completely different experence with the bridge over the Mississippi River lit up at night.

I definitely recommend this hotel - we'll stay here again when we return to Memphis.

• Stayed: June 2006