“Excellent downtown hotel”
Review of Madison Hotel

Madison Hotel
Ranked #10 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Madison for 3 nights in September and we loved it. We booked thru Priceline for a very reasonable rate. Our room was located next to the elevator, was small with one double bed and a view of the brick building next door but for the price that we paid, we had no complaints. The bed was comfortable with modern furnishings and the room was quiet. The hotel is well-located downtown - about a block from the trolley station and within easy walking distance to many shops and restaurants. There's a beautiful view of the Mississippi River from the roof top bar which seemed to be a very popular spot when we were there. I can't compliment the hotel staff enough. Everyone we met at the hotel was pleasant, friendly and very helpful with suggestions of what to see/do on our first trip to Memphis. Thank you for a great weekend!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our property. We couldn't agree more with your assessment of our location. Our guests find that we are conveniently located to all the best restaurants and entertainment including our restaurant, eighty3 and our lounge, Twilight with those great views of the Mississippi River that you mentioned. We also appreciate your acknowledgement of our staff and will be sure to let them know of your kind remarks.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Make sure you write down their cancellation policy when you make your reservations. I booked a room in August and cancelled it 48 hours prior to my stay in December. I just realized that they charged me for the room. I understand cancellation policies (72 hours prior), but it would have been nice for them to inform me when I cancelled that I would still be charged for the room.. But, it is not their policy to tell you that you will be charged when you cancel your reservation, they only tell you this when you book your room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank mefe2013
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

I would like to sincerely apologize for the confusion regarding your reservation and our cancellation policy. I hope you will allow us an opportunity to recover from this experience.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I took the Amtrak train from New Orleans and stayed at the Madison for a long weekend over Thanksgiving. The Madison was a fantastic hotel with wonderful staff, rooms, amenities, and food! The room was a Jr. Suite with a nice sized living room and king bed. The bathroom was huge with a shower and tub. The weather was a little chilly for the Twilight Sky bar to be open for the whole weekend, but it was a great view nonetheless. Our last night in Memphis, we took a cab to Restaurant Iris for a special dinner. The New Orleans chef and cajun inspired food was incredible!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Mississippi River!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank solarchild

Thank you for sharing your Thanksgiving Holiday with us. We would love to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

we spent 3 nights at the madison and had a beautiful room (after rejecting the first room offered, which was small and didn't have a view) and enjoyed our stay there. the staff was very friendly and the rooftop terrace was wonderful - gorgeous views of the river and a relaxed atmosphere. we had a couple of problems with maid service - had to ask for extra toilet paper and had only one chocolate on the bed at night for 2 of us - but these were quickly resolved. i wish breakfast had been included at the price we paid, but the restaurant was reasonable. it was a quick walk to beale street and we rarely used our car (which we parked around the corner in a public garage, much cheaper than the valet parking in the hotel).

Room Tip: you can get a view of the river from some rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our property, it was our pleasure serving you while you were in town. The Executive Housekeeper is aware of your comments regarding your service and will follow up with the team. On your next visit I would like to encourage you to book directly with the hotel to receive a $10 dining voucher for the restaurant as our appreciation. Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Staff was excellent and very friendly. Location is okay. It's a bit of a walk to most attractions downtown. Paid for $150 room which after taxes and the mandatory $30 valet parking turned out to be $200. The shower in the room was awful, there were two temperatures, freezing cold and scorching hot! Nothing in between, and if you found warm water, it lasted about 30 seconds before it randomly switched back to scorching hot again. Just not crazy about the price and quality or lack there of. Views were nice but you could hear the trolley running even from the 14th floor! As a fellow Memphian, I was pretty disappointed. $200/night is expensive for a hotel in Memphis, and I expect a hot shower at that price. The bedding was extremely comfortable and can;t complain about not getting any rest.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

I appreciate you making us aware of your concerns. Our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineering are looking into the problems you experienced with the shower. I am sorry that you experienced these problems and hope you will give us another opportunity to recover from this service break down. Once again, thank you for sharing your candid comments.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I must admit to being surprised by recent critical reviews, as these do not reflect my own recent experience of a three night stay at the Madison. My high floor room was very comfortable, a good size with a large bathroom and high-quality fixtures. It also had good views of the Mississippi and Mud Island. I had a good experience of room service and found all the staff friendly and efficient. I would particularly like to single out Sheila, Cynthia and Xavier for their help in making my stay so successful. The hotel is well located for most downtown destinations, and the convenient hundred-year-old trolleybuses provide an entertaining means of travelling further afield. I was able to get an excellent rate from the hotel website which and therefore was happy to pay the rather high overnight valet parking fee. However, I could've used the somewhat less convenient, but abundant public parking garages, the location of which the valets are happy to point out to you. All in all, the hotel made my trip to Memphis both memorable and successful and I'd be happy to return at any time.

Room Tip: Recommend high floor rooms 14 floor and above with views of the Mississippi River i.e. West facing...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PTripLondon
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for your kind remarks and recognition of Sheila, Cynthia and Xavier. They are truly assets to our team. It was our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Madison Hotel.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is a beautiful, well furnished and clean hotel. If you took away the staff it would be a 5 star. If you include the staff its a 3 star. A 3 star hotel shouldn't cost what they ask for. The room was great, large and well maintained. The large bathroom with the separate stall shower was as nice as I've seen. Beautiful lobby, close proximity to downtown attractions and right at the trolley lines. 5 star. Then you interact with the staff and it falters. I arrived at 5pm and was told my room wasn't ready and to go to the bar and they would call me. They never did, but I went back after dinner and the bags had been put in the room. I've had friendly, more professional desk people in budget hotels. When we left the desk person never got up from her chair or the computer she was surfing on. I asked about Graceland and they arranged a 50$ car for me but failed to mention the free bus that picks up a short walk away. Consistently told me not to take the local taxis but readily arranged expensive cars that looked like personal use vehicles. Kickback anyone? Other than the doormen the staff I ran into in the hotel were unfriendly and acted as if I was keeping them from something. This is a 5 star property with 1 star service and not a good value because of it. I'll try someplace else next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us. I would like to apologize for the service you experienced during your stay. This is not the normal level of service we are accustom to providing and will be sure to address this with the staff. It is my hope that you will give us an opportunity to recover and try us again when you are in Memphis.