“a lovely place to stay”

Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
new york
“a lovely place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

we spent 3 nights at the madison and had a beautiful room (after rejecting the first room offered, which was small and didn't have a view) and enjoyed our stay there. the staff was very friendly and the rooftop terrace was wonderful - gorgeous views of the river and a relaxed atmosphere. we had a couple of problems with maid service - had to ask for extra toilet paper and had only one chocolate on the bed at night for 2 of us - but these were quickly resolved. i wish breakfast had been included at the price we paid, but the restaurant was reasonable. it was a quick walk to beale street and we rarely used our car (which we parked around the corner in a public garage, much cheaper than the valet parking in the hotel).

Room Tip: you can get a view of the river from some rooms...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our property, it was our pleasure serving you while you were in town. The Executive Housekeeper is aware of your comments regarding your service and will follow up with the team. On your next visit I would like to encourage you to book directly with the hotel to receive a $10 dining voucher for the restaurant as our appreciation. Once again thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Collierville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Staff was excellent and very friendly. Location is okay. It's a bit of a walk to most attractions downtown. Paid for $150 room which after taxes and the mandatory $30 valet parking turned out to be $200. The shower in the room was awful, there were two temperatures, freezing cold and scorching hot! Nothing in between, and if you found warm water, it lasted about 30 seconds before it randomly switched back to scorching hot again. Just not crazy about the price and quality or lack there of. Views were nice but you could hear the trolley running even from the 14th floor! As a fellow Memphian, I was pretty disappointed. $200/night is expensive for a hotel in Memphis, and I expect a hot shower at that price. The bedding was extremely comfortable and can;t complain about not getting any rest.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
I appreciate you making us aware of your concerns. Our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineering are looking into the problems you experienced with the shower. I am sorry that you experienced these problems and hope you will give us another opportunity to recover from this service break down. Once again, thank you for sharing your candid comments.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

I must admit to being surprised by recent critical reviews, as these do not reflect my own recent experience of a three night stay at the Madison. My high floor room was very comfortable, a good size with a large bathroom and high-quality fixtures. It also had good views of the Mississippi and Mud Island. I had a good experience of room service and found all the staff friendly and efficient. I would particularly like to single out Sheila, Cynthia and Xavier for their help in making my stay so successful. The hotel is well located for most downtown destinations, and the convenient hundred-year-old trolleybuses provide an entertaining means of travelling further afield. I was able to get an excellent rate from the hotel website which and therefore was happy to pay the rather high overnight valet parking fee. However, I could've used the somewhat less convenient, but abundant public parking garages, the location of which the valets are happy to point out to you. All in all, the hotel made my trip to Memphis both memorable and successful and I'd be happy to return at any time.

Room Tip: Recommend high floor rooms 14 floor and above with views of the Mississippi River i.e. West facing...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PTripLondon
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks and recognition of Sheila, Cynthia and Xavier. They are truly assets to our team. It was our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Madison Hotel.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is a beautiful, well furnished and clean hotel. If you took away the staff it would be a 5 star. If you include the staff its a 3 star. A 3 star hotel shouldn't cost what they ask for. The room was great, large and well maintained. The large bathroom with the separate stall shower was as nice as I've seen. Beautiful lobby, close proximity to downtown attractions and right at the trolley lines. 5 star. Then you interact with the staff and it falters. I arrived at 5pm and was told my room wasn't ready and to go to the bar and they would call me. They never did, but I went back after dinner and the bags had been put in the room. I've had friendly, more professional desk people in budget hotels. When we left the desk person never got up from her chair or the computer she was surfing on. I asked about Graceland and they arranged a 50$ car for me but failed to mention the free bus that picks up a short walk away. Consistently told me not to take the local taxis but readily arranged expensive cars that looked like personal use vehicles. Kickback anyone? Other than the doormen the staff I ran into in the hotel were unfriendly and acted as if I was keeping them from something. This is a 5 star property with 1 star service and not a good value because of it. I'll try someplace else next time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. I would like to apologize for the service you experienced during your stay. This is not the normal level of service we are accustom to providing and will be sure to address this with the staff. It is my hope that you will give us an opportunity to recover and try us again when you are in Memphis.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Bad service and overpriced! Its hard to believe that the ratings are as high as they are. They charged items on our bill that we hadnt done, room service didnt bring our food we ordered and the staff was rude.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
angiehmemphis, General Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
I appreciate you making me aware of your concerns. I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay at the Madison. I will review your comments with the F&B team and address your Room Service experience. I acknowledge that the rate for the weekend you booked, may have seemed high, but the city of Memphis had been almost sold out for months. Once again, thank you for sharing your candid comments. Sincerely, Angie Hines, GM
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

The Madison hotel sits on Madison Avenue in the centre of Memphis. Good location a short walk from the centre attractions and the Mississippi. The hotel is elegant and modern. The staff were great, very friendly and professional and helpful. I also ate at the restaurant which was laidback, like the rest of the hotel with excellent food and again great, friendly staff.
Couldn't fault it and would definitely go back if in Memphis.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DavieU
Thank you for your recommendation. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Memphis.
Tupelo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

First off let me say the hotel is beautiful and clean, but now to the bad part. We stayed here during the winter storm that came through December 5,6 and 7. The heat in our room is busted and that's after three maintenance men came by. It's 20 outside and the heat blows cold air. I'm sorry for 688.00 dollars for two days and you can't get my heat fixed now you want my family toove in the middle of the night. Sorry expected alot more than this for this kind of money.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your feedback and making us aware of your concerns regarding the heating in your accommodation. I am sorry that this happened during your stay and hope you will give us an opportunity to recover on your next visit.