“Excellent location”

Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Austin, Texas
“Excellent location”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed one night and it was within walking distance of Bealle Street and many local restaurants. It was clean, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. We went to the rooftop bar but were not impressed. It was hot, although a storm was coming in, so the breeze helped. There was no shade when we were there. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. I would probably stay here again unless I found something else more interesting. We did not eat in the restaurant and others we talked to said that the service was very slow.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you did not enjoy the rooftop but I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the interaction with our team. We hope to see you on your next visit to Memphis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Athlone
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Let me just start by saying if this is truly a four diamond hotel I would hate to see the rest of the hotels that Memphis has to offer….

Before I stayed I emailed the hotel with a question and got a snotty reply, I replied with a second question and I am still waiting on the response..

Called the hotel then to ask my question, about what was the best way to get form the airport the person on the desk had no idea...

Got into the room and it was dirty. The ceiling looked as if it were about to fall in, hair in the bathroom. We moved rooms and that was far better.

Asked the door man for a map of the area and to point out were the hotel was on it … he had no idea where the hotel was…

We had breakfast in the hotel, that was the only nice part...

Had no stamps at the front desk to send a postcard!

To top it all off I got my credit card bill and it had charges on it from the hotel, I emailed the hotel for a copy of my bill and seen that there were minibar charges on it which we did not have. I have email the hotel and asked them to remove it… but I have had no one get back to me. Few days later I rang the hotel and asked them to remove it, after putting me on hold for an age they could not find me.

What’s funny about this is that after you stay in the hotel they email you with a survey, which is a great way of catching bad comments before they end up on things like yelp and TripAdvisor. I filled out this email and told them all about what happened and no one got back to me so here we are... the hotel lack with the ability to follow up on issues. Overall I would not go back, nor recommend it for others...

I am really starting to think that southern hospitality is just a myth

Room Tip: ...book somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Stan099
angiehmemphis, General Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience. I am sorry that we were not able to provide accurate information in a timely manner. I am addressing your concerns.

Angie Hines, GM
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Hotel is very hip and trendy is looks and feel. It has an indoor pool and nice small gym. The bar restaraunt is small but very good. On the roof they have a spectacular view of the city. It has tables and full bar open till 11pm. It is only a 5 minute walk to Beale St. The trolly is right on the corner also.The best part of all this is the GREAT staff they have. The most helpful friendly people I have ever dealt with HANDS DOWN.

Room Tip: The upgrade rooms are very roomy with a living area then the bedroom is down a small hallway
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are so glad to see you enjoyed the hotel and location. It is especially great to see how much you enjoyed our staff. We sincerely appreciate your kind remarks.
New York
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Other then a housekeeping issue. I loved the Madison hotel. Charming, Close to everything, Close enough to walk to Beale St. But far enough from the noise. The Trolly is right on the corner if you want a fun ride to Beale St. I like it better then the Peabody hotel. It has more of a quiet cool vibe. Where as the Peabody is full of tours constantly coming through the hotel. The Peabody hotel lobby is always packed. Hotel Madison rooms are a nice size and bathrooms are big. Beautifully decorated, Great cocktails, Friendly Staff. The issue I had with housekeeping was it was non existing. I really think this was a problem with one staff member and not the hotel. I will return and again stay at the lovely Madison.
Note! When returning to airport from most all hotels, take a taxi not the van service that shows up even tho you requested a taxi. They will charge you $15.00 a head and stop at every hotel to pick up others going to the airport. It will take you much longer and a lot more money then a simple taxi ride. If your only one person it might be worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a tub. Higher floor, less street noise, make sure housekeeping is attentive.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank deegalNYC
Thank you for selecting the Madison Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is in a good location for all the downtown activities of Memphis. There was some confusion upon arrival and were stopped at the elevator after check in and were transferred to another room. After a wait of 20 minutes were finally off to our room where we were interrupted by hotel staff to inspected to room which they had forgotten to do. The rooms are small and the walls are paper-thin so you can hear the conversation in the next room. The room and bath were clean but cramped for even two people. As in another review here, I was given an all-inclusive price but was charged an addition service fee upon check in. This was an average hotel stay, but for the price, I expected much more!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I would like to apologize for you not experiencing the exceptional service I know we are capable of providing. I trust on your next visit we will demonstrate the high level of service you are accustomed to receiving.
British Columbia
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is a converted bank building that is located close to the trams and most attractions in downtown Memphis including the waterfront and Beale Street.
The rooms are quite small compared to modern standards, but everything is clean and crisp. I have never met a such a great group of well-trained, accommodating hotel staff before.
The room rate included a $10 per night voucher for breakfast in the adjoining restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank The_Walrus2
Thank you for your review and your comments regarding our staff. We look forward to your return visit.
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Our 2 night stay at the Madison was very pleasant. The rooms were clean and well kept. Very nice surroundings. The people in the hotel, from Cynthia the mgr, Kellie the Concierge, the front desk people and restaurant people were delightful. Couldn't have enjoyed it more. The but was the reservation clerk. When I made the reservations (by phone) the prices I was given were supposed to be inclusive of all taxes and I was told that the room came with Continental Breakfast. When the email confirmation arrived, the prices that I had been given, showed that they were pre tax prices. I called and spoke with the same reservation clerk. She assured me that everything I had understood was correct and she couldn't understand why the confirmation showed different. Three times I tried to have her send me a personal email confirming what she said, but each time, there was a different technical reason when I hadn't rcvd it; e.g. the system is down, I sent it but you didn't get it, etc, etc. I finally gave up trying. The hotel, ultimately charged taxes on all the prices she gave me; so they weren't inclusive and secondly the breakfast was chargeable in the hotel restaurant. Now they did give us a $ 10.00 coupon for breakfast, but it was not continental. I would have gone to the hotel anyway, but it would have been nice to have gotten the correct information.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. Although it is disappointing to see that we did not meet our standards or your expectation regarding the reservation process I am glad to see you enjoyed your overall stay. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.