“Tremendous.”

Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Asheville, North Carolina
“Tremendous.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

We loved this hotel. Contrary to critical review found on this site, it was worth every penny. I suspect those unhappy campers would be satiated with morning foot rubs for a wake up call either. Everything was top notch. Highlights included an incredibly friendly staff, posh accommodations, a killer roof top patio, beautiful lap pool and a solid complimentary breakfast.

True, Memphis in general is a little beat down. However, it's certainly not the fault of the Madison.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bulhorn
Ownershiprep, Managing Partner at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Dear guest:
Thank you indeed for your very gracious and complimentary review of the Madison and for sharing your feedback with other travelers. I am thrilled that you experienced exactly what we pride ourselves with; our top notch and service driven staff and beautiful and immaculately maintained facilities.
I am grateful for your recognition of our associates. Your compliments have been shared with them. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Memphis and The Madison.
Warm Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

Traveling with two young children, I was impressed by how welcome the staff made us feel, something that is not always the case with kids. Valet parking is expensive but well worth it, especially at night as the surrounding area is not quite the safest.

Room Tip: Pricelined the hotel and received room next to elevator, but it was not noisy, just convenient.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased that you and your children had a comfortable and welcoming visit with us.
We are delighted that you chose the Madison while in Memphis and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

I got a great rate on this place through expedia and it was just a dream. From the moment I pulled up the valet hopped out and greeted me with a warm smile and lots of tips on how to make the most of Memphis.

The rooms are clean, comfortable, and nicely furnished. I especially liked the bathroom which had a lovely immaculate tub and a walk in shower and a very large vanity.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the turn down service replenished my towels every night after my afternoon swims in the hotel's perfect indoor lap pool. It's not really a family or kids pool but it is perfect for fitness and lap swimmers.

The gym is very well equipped and boasts a mini fridge full of mini bottles of complimentary water... and there are chilled towels.

The in house restaurant and bar are also excellent: and this is in a good eating and drinking city. Props to legendary bartender Murphy who is an accomplished mixologist and a perfect social moderator. She should work at the UN.

This is a warm. friendly, well-run luxury hotel... make sure you get Murphy to pour you a drink before you head on up to the rooftop patio and drink in the view and the sultry night air.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Ownershiprep, Managing Partner at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
I wanted to thank you for your feedback and very detailed and gracious comments about almost every aspect of our services. We are proud of our service driven staff and are delighted when our guests acknowledge their commitment to excellence in service.
Our guests’ feedbacks are shared with our staff as we learn from our mishaps and celebrate our accomplishments. I am confident your compliments about our mixologist, Murphy has already been communicated with her and she, am sure, appreciates them.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Madison soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

We were very disappointed in the hotel based on the cost of the room. The room was one of the smallest I have ever stayed in, and the walls were paper thin.
One of the main reasons we stayed att the Madison was the rooftop area that was supposedly spectacular... It was closed for a private function, so we were not allowed up there.
Last, but not least, everyone is charged a $10 resort fee per person in room in addition to the $23 valet charge. Just way overpriced for the experience in my POV.

2 Thank Tac6760
Thank you for taking the time and providing us with your feedback. I am disappointed that you were not happy with your experience particularly that you could not enjoy our beautiful rooftop garden with the sweeping views of the Mississippi river.
This valuable space is also very popular spot for wedding ceremonies, wedding receptions, and corporate parties and there are times when the space is closed to our guests and general public for private events. Our staff is trained to notify guests of this upon check in.
The service charge is per room and not per person as you mentioned in your review and is viewed as a very worthwhile charge as it covers amenities that many luxury hotels charge for separately such as WIFI, fitness center, business center, local calls and more importantly a luxurious continental breakfast.
We hope that you choose the Madison as your hotel again if your plans bring you to Memphis.
Holly Springs, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

The service and the amenities were terrific as usual. only issues were the jacuzzi tub did not work, our room was rented to another couple that checked in right after us and we received a tray of fruit, sparkling water and a envelope for a Donte Davis , I believe. Other than that it was Excellent. Thanks, and we are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We thank you for your gracious remarks about the friendliness of our staff and thank you for taking the time and sharing your feedback with other travelers. While we are grateful for your compliments, we are equally grateful for our candid and constructive feedback on a couple of hick ups that occurred upon your arrival.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in general and that our environment in general made for a comfortable and an enjoyable visit.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Madison soon.
Germantown, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

First of all I live in Memphis. Number two I like staying in nice hotels. I've stayed in great hotels all over the world. The Madison is simply not one of them. I stayed there to attend the 4 th July celebration on the roof. The party on the roof was over priced, 96 for two people for hamburgers and hotdogs and BBQ beans that were undercooked. Drinks were available but for an additional price. The view was nice, the band was good but the food sucked! But that would be ok if the room was ok. But it's not. The room is small, the decoration tacky. They call it European meets southern class. I call it cheap and tacky. At 255 a night it should be a luxury room, not a Hilton style room with cheap furniture. The Peabody just two blocks away does it right. A beautiful lobby, pleasant rooms and great service. The Madison achieves none of that and over charges you as if that will make what they are giving you become nice. The people were helpful in making my reservation but I just can't get past the poor quality of the room. Stay at the Peabody. No hear the Westin is nice! But forget the Madison, simply not worth it. Zero elegance, pretentious without a reason to be pretentious, expensive without the luxury, what exactly is it worth? Go elsewhere, there are plenty of better places that deliver what they say they are going to give you. This is a hotel that would have you think they are a boutique hotel but give you Hilton style and expect you to be impressed. Forget it.

1 Thank mmuhlert
I wanted to thank you for taking the time by providing us with your feedback and I am so sorry that you feel so angry about your experience. Our 4th of July celebration, as you experienced and noticed, is a popular event and is marketed and advertised as an outdoor and picnic style reception cookout event with menu items spelled out. We are clearly sorry that you did not enjoy the beautiful settings with sunset, live music and spectacular fireworks and the delicious food that we received so much compliments on.
Our feedback from our guests is, in great majority of cases, extremely positive about our accommodations. Again, not knowing more specifics about your room, I am sorry that you were not pleased.
Needless to say, we would love to have the opportunity to earn your business again and should you decide to stay at the Madison again, I would like to personally welcome you and ensure that you have an outstanding accommodations and services.
Germantown, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

I am so dissapointed, we got a basic room for $255, this is well over what I should be paying. The bathrooms are nice but the room is tiny and the view is pathetic. I tried to call for room service...phone line busy. Called the front desk...busy. My husband had to use his cell phone to call the actual hotel and order us something to eat. I am surprised by the high ratings this hotel has received from tripadvisor...if you want great service, this is not the place.

1 Thank mavsc79
Thank you for your feedback and I am genuinely sorry for the inconveniences you experienced. As you mentioned, the vast majority of our guests rave about the quality of our facilities and the friendliness and professionalism of our staff. I am sorry that did not experience the same levels of luxury and pampering.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again and have a chance to recover from these breakdowns.