“Yuck--dirty, smokey--very old bedding--will not do again.”

Econo Lodge Downtown Memphis
Ranked #93 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
North Carolina
“Yuck--dirty, smokey--very old bedding--will not do again.”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I was looking to save money while visiting my son in college. I checked in and was hit in the face with smoke smell--even though the hotel was supposed to be entirely nonsmoking. The air freshiner they used to try to "clean" the air only made things worse. The room REEKED of smoke and strawberries. Bathroom was old, bedding was gross. Area of town is questionalble. Not a safe walk to Beale Street. It is too far and too dark. Is is worth extra money to stay elsewhere. Staff was nice and let me leave cancelling my reservation.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Carolina101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Essex England
Reviewed August 26, 2010

The hotel is on 3 floors - 8, 9 and 10 - above a multi storey carpark. The pool is on the 8th floor. We had a room overlooking the pool on the 8th floor. The pool wasn't too clean and only had 4 sunbeds. The room was large and reasonably clean but although it was a no smoking room, it always had a smoke odour. The car park has an attendant on duty at all times so if felt safe walking back in the evening.
Breakfast YEUK. It was held in a basement lounge acrss the carpark. Bagels, muffins and drinks that was all. All located in a stinkey, smokey bar. There was one knife for everyone to use and 1 pak of cream chesse for everyone. I asked for a knofe to spead butter and the attendant told me to use the spoon. Coffee tasted foul. I tried to make a call from the room but the operator told me all calls were blocked. Why give you a phone in the room?
Parking costs an additional $10 a day.
There was a ball game on whilst we were there so we walked there and back. A pleasant night out.
Best thing about the hotel - location.
We won't be back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tappy Feet
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I was extremely worried about booking this hotel after reading the most recent reviews, but we were satisfied with our stay. The furniture and decor were outdated, but cleanliness is really what mattered for just one night. We found no mold, no stray hairs, and no strange odors anywhere in our room. It was only a few blocks from Beale St for half the price of the other hotels nearby, which can't be beat. The staff was friendly, and check-in and check-out was quick and easy.

Our only complaint is the elevators, which other reviewers have already touched on. The doors would open before the elevator (on the right, the left one seemed more reliable) came to a complete stop, and it would move up and down with the doors open! My suggestion would be to park on the highest level of the parking garage and take the stairs, if you think the elevator will bother you.

We enjoyed our one night stay at the Econolodge in downtown Memphis and is a great choice if budget and location are both priorities.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago, il
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This place is FILTHY/SCARY and the service is horrible.
First night there we had someone try to get in our room at 3am.
Next night there we had someone try to get in through the adjoining room door.
Third night there my legs were bitten so badly while sleeping that they swelled.

Just returned from the doctor who told me that the bites on my legs and feet were indeed bed bug bites.
Just one day after our return, my friend has found that she has head lice.

Did I mention the hookers in the parking garage? The dirty sheets and towels? The smell of urine in the halls? The horrible staff?

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dustty09
atl,ga
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I stayed at this location last weekend and it was HORRIBLE!! The carpets are filthy with stains all over them, there were bugs crawling out of the ceiling cracks in the bathroom, and the safety lock on the door was broken off and had never been replaced. And to top off the horrible visit my daughter got head lice from staying here and sleeping in the bed. This hotel staff obviously doesn't clean or change sheets or we wouldn't have this problem. This is the worst place I have ever stayed and needs some serious cleaning done to it, it's just nasty in the rooms and definately not worth the money I paid.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Family vacation started out great until we arrived at hotel....Checking in we were informed that there was a $10.00 a night to park, when we reserved the room our reservation was with free parking and breakfast, which was argued by the front desk and she had a very bad attitude, not courteous at all. So we let that slide since we had no choice. The room was not what we expected after looking at the pictures online,the beds weren't even full size maybe 3/4, sheets on one bed had stains,had to change sheets. The bathroom was so small and outdated you couldn't turn around in and no exhaust fan, no water pressure at all and the bathtub was stopped up so if you took a shower you had water up past your ankles.
Couldn't get towels or washcloths when we asked, had to call down for coffee packs. And as for the pool we were there for 3 days and didn't even get in the pool, it was GREEN, not the pretty blue as in the picture,evidentally it hadn't seen any clorine in a while,it was just nasty looking, in fact the day we left they had the pool drained (could it have been a dissatisfied customer)?
The free breakfast was in the bar/ lounge area which I didn't appreciate taking my granddaughter in and things weren't refilled. As for the exercise room, don't have a clue what it was like, we couldn't even get in...lol.The elevators were scary, you were always hoping it wouldn't stop on you, no air in and very small.
And I would watch the front desk if you're calling a taxi, they may have a money maker there......the front desk told us after she called us one it would be around $5 to get 2
blocks to Beale St.,when he let us off the taxi ride was $15 (WHATTTTT!!!!) But, just like the parking fee what are you going to do.
We will never stay at this hotel again!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Becky K
Monee, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I stayed here for one night on a Friday. The outside of the hotel looked like a big parking garage. Check in was inside the entrance of the garage and lobby is tiny. Parking is an extra $10.00. I had a non smoking room on the 10th floor. Elevators are very slow. My room, a superior king looked dated. The window in the room had that bathroom type, no peek in stuff on it....huh? The curtain was floor length and had some missing hardware. The chair in the room was stained. Bed was fine as were bedding and pillows. Sink was outside bathroom and the coffee pot was missing. Water pressure was fine in the shower.

The hotel claimed it had free wi-fi but it didnt seem to work for me. There's also a pool in a courtyard on the 6th or 7th floor and looked ok. The hotel also includes a free continental breakfast which was a joke. You have to go into the lounge nextdoor and down to the lower area to get it. It consisted of a couple hard bagles, muffins and doughnuts, plus orange juice and coffee. Employees were eating with the paying customers and never refilled the juice or the breads.

The hotel is in a good location to Beale street (about 4 blocks south) and all the attractions and nightlife. The hotel was ok for my one night and if your looking for something under $100.00 and close to Beale then this might be for you. If I ever need to stay downtown on a budget then I would say check this place out. I would probably stay here again if I ever needed to come back to Memphis.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo