“Very cheap & dirty”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #93 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel online & I believed it would be ok considering it's a budget hotel. Walked into the lobby & it was old & very dusty. The staff were friendly but lacked passion. Walked into the room to find a very bland, old & partially dirty room. Couldn't even spend the night & left immediately. I would only recommend this place as a last resort.

Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was my husband and I's first big trip together. We chose this hotel for its location. It met our price range and location needs GREAT! We were only 3 blocks from Beale street so we were able to walk all over downtown Memphis it was Great we didnt have to drive anywhere and have to worry about trying to find parking since it is very limited downtown. However the room was Super clean just noisey and the AC didnt work very well. We were hot all night but that happens. Next time we will be bringing our own fan with us and our own pillows because theirs SUCK for warning.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I found the Econo Lodge,very comfortable,friendly helpful staff,great bar,with music on tap.I spent two weeks here for the International Blues Challenge 2014 ,i would stay again without hesitation.Thanks to all the staff,you made my first trip to Memphis a very enjoyable one.

Room Tip: 10th floor great views
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I find Trip Advisor reviewers quite picky on hotels, so please consider the price and star rating when looking at hotels. This Econo Lodge is by far the cheapest hotel in the downtown area. It is clean and comfortable. It is everything you need in a hotel. If money is no object to you, then yes, the $300 up the street is certainly going to be much nicer. But for me, this hotel offered me the opportunity to enjoy the music and booze downtown without having to drive and without having to work overtime for the next year to afford my hotel stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank musician770
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This place is good if you're on a budget, but if you have a little extra I'd go somewhere else. We had a hire car and needed somewhere to park it so it worked out well. I've stayed at a lot of budget motels but this was especially poor. The negatives are how run down it is, the first thing that I noticed walking into the room was the musty smell, it would be so nice if you could open the windows but they're locked. The hallways smell like cigarettes and are stuffy too. The TV turned itself on and off at random times. House keeping start knocking at 9am and came twice that morning even though we had the do not disturb hanger on the door. Positives are its location, it's walking distance to Beale St and it's cheap. We stayed for 3 nights then opted for in a private room from Air BnB which was a much nicer experience for the same price.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fattbetty
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Coming from the Midwest and having travelled extensively for a national volunteer organization we aren't real picky about where we stay. We like it clean, safe, and quiet when travelling. The biggest problem we had with this motel is the lack of lighting in the parking ramp. It wasn't just on one level but on all the levels (except the entrance). Not too much help from the evening desk clerk or parking attendant. The day staff were quite nice and helpful. The room itself was typical but the bathroom tub was peeling and unsafe. It got a little loud once-in-a-while and I asked them to be quiet and it worked.

Room Tip: I'd try for the Comfort Inn over a few blocks (we've stayed there before but it was full thi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights over New Years. We picked the hotel based on it’s location and the budget friendly price. Although the hotel is near Beale Streets, it’s on a pretty rough street above a grim multi story car park that. Safety was an issue for me, as anyone off the street could get in the elevator and gain access to the guest floors. This really isn’t acceptable, even for a budget hotel.
The room was perfectly clean, but very old and shabby. The towels were small and rough, and the bedding needed replacing. The bathroom was poor. Our view was over the (closed) outdoor pool and as the windows had not nets, we had to keep the curtains drawn the whole time. This added to the whole dank feeling of the place.
On our first morning the electrics in our room kept tripping repeatedly. The maintenance man showed us how to fix this (by fiddling with switches in the fuse box in the corridor) and after that it was a case of ‘fix it yourself’. Not sure about the health and safety aspects of this! Staff were ok- disinterested at best. It took 3 trips to reception (9 floors down) before I was finally provided with the hairdryer I had requested upon check in. Again, substandard service even for a budget hotel.
Breakfast was perfectly adequate. Bagels, muffins, hot biscuits and oatmeal etc. Breakfast was served in a strange communal room that was less than pleasant but, again, what do you expect for the price.

All in all, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple