“Stay here if you're really on a budget and want a good location with no cares about amenities.”

Econo Lodge Downtown Memphis
Ranked #90 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for and we didn't pay much to stay here so I'm satisfied overall with the value. It is one of the more gritty hotels I've stayed at, the location is a tiny bit sketchy and the hotel is really old. You can tell they do their best to keep it clean but it's just an old and dated place. The bed was decently comfortable and the location was within walking distance of Beale Street. The breakfast is alright, for being free. The pool did look nice, although we didn't swim while there. Overall I think I'd splurge next time for a little nicer place, but if you really are on a budget and want to walk to Beale Street, just grin and bear it! The employees were all very nice, so that helped.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel is older, the hallway smells like cigarette smoke although I was on a non-smoking level, & the shower head are very low. I read the pros and cons of staying at this hotel & decided to take the chance for convenience. I usually don't trust reviews since there are rare pros. Well, aside from the negatives, I was able to enjoy my stay. I ended my stay earlier for two reasons, the room I booked was not the room displayed nor mention in the Choice Hotel (management company) website & due to the extremely rude service from front desk. I actually was considering to stay an additional night so I can tour the city some more, but left after my experience with front desk. Simply put, make sure you ask if your room will have a refrigerator and microwave in the room at time of check-in. Like others have mentioned, the room wasn't ready until 4pm as housekeeping was finishing rooms. I had to ask for bathing towels and when I did get them, some of them had stains, so I asked for more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had read so many bad reviews about this hotel before we arrived, but my partner and I were traveling across the states on a budget without a car so needed somewhere cheap and central. Econo Lodge was that.

I was paranoid about bed bugs so the first thing I did was check the mattress. Not a single trace of those little blood suckers. The bed was HUGE and super comfortable. The room itself was huge as well, with a nice bathroom and it was very clean. The pool wasn't in operation because it was November.

Yes the hotel is old and a little tired looking but for the price you pay you get a comfortable bed and a clean room. The breakfast wasn't super exciting - pastries, toast, waffles, cereal etc, pretty standard. The service was pretty non-existent, but we didn't want housekeeping to go into our rooms so had the sign on the door to keep them away.

Location wise, it's an easy walk to anywhere in downtown memphis. The bus from the bus station is right outside (we walked, which was about 20 minutes) and the bus to Graceland leaves from just down the road too.

I'd definitely stay here again if I was to return to Memphis.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KiaOraKiwi
south carolina
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed 3-nights . Great location just a few blocks from Beale St & Main st. Housekeeping was a nightmare. They only emptied the trash & put clean towels during room service. Had to REQUEST the beds be made-up & carpet vacuumed (obvious mess) ... Toilet constantly ran...

But my room was a palace compared to my traveling companions who had a clogged toilet from the previous guest & hotel mgt gave them a plunger. Staff refused to clear the toilet & did not offer to call maintenance. Instead, the staff decided to offer a different room on different floor from rest of the group ( hotel had plenty of rooms to spare ) ... Staff gave them a key to another room BUT that room was being used by another guest! Mgt was rude

Our other travel companions had a huge HOLE in their mattress.

NONE of the 3-rooms we stayed in were properly cleaned by housekeeping... But we noticed the staff enjoying frequent smoke breaks by the pool & carrying breakfast out for themselves from the Comp Guest Breakfast area

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Southern_Lady_4

Travelers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Close to everything, Clean room, nothing fancy, but best value downtown, If your just looking for a place to stay, Super Friendly staff! Would stay here again. Trolley line on Main Street a block away, very close to Brake street and felt safe at night there

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Amishcowboy
Houma
Reviewed May 31, 2013

First off this hotel is in a great location walking distance to Beale street and other notable downtown locations. management are really nice people they went above and beyond to help us. rooms were nice BUT we were moved to 3 different rooms cause none of the a/c's worked. after the 3rd time we were so tired we settled in still hot, muggy and miserable.

as many tourists that visit Downtown Memphis, why not spend the money and upgrade this place? i've stayed in choice hotels in the middle of nowhere that were really nice and i've stayed in choice hotels in big cities that were complete dumps.

the pool, how could i forget the pool? GROSS!!! not sure what was floating around in there but CLEAN IT!!!

Room Tip: make sure your a/c is in working order.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel is located a few blocks from Beale ST and that is its only perk. The facilities are old and incredibly flawed. The carpets are disgusting in the rooms and the hallways. The sheets were too small for the bed and the mattress was old and sagging. The door to the room did not meet the floor so any noise in the hallway was very audible. In the morning the cleaning staff came to the door 3 times before 9am and were having incredibly loud personal conversations in the hallway. The price of the hotel seems like a bargain in comparison to the other downtown hotels but when you factor in tax and the $10 parking fee it gets expensive for what it is. Spend a little extra and stay at another hotel if you want to feel clean and well rested.

• Stayed May 2013