“Basic”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #92 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We picked this hotel for the location. It is really old and they are doing their best and at one point I'm sure it was a Comfort Inn but as it's decayed the downgraded it to an Econolodge. Service is minimal. A little grubby throughout. Next time we'll pay more and stay elsewhere. There's a significant amount of street noise.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TorontoMichael
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Downtown

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was on a road trip in March 2012 (Tripadvisor only lets me select as far back as June '12) and booked into this Econo Lodge in Memphis primarily because it was cheap but also, as I knew from a previous visit to Memphis, it's only a few blocks over from Beale Street.

Check in was easy. The rooms are large. They're a little bit run down maybe, but great for the price. Breakfast was basic but filling.

As testimony to how happy I was with the place, I'm visiting Memphis again this summer and have booked the Econo Lodge for me, my wife, my 8 year old son, and 2 friends. Perhaps we'll make use of the rooftop pool this time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shizzling
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although staying at an Econolodge sounds not too appealing to everyone, this is really a great place to stay in Memphis. Just a few blocks (walking distance!) from Beale Street with just 10$ parking on-site, there is no better deal in downtown Memphis. The room was spacious and clean. The staff was friendly and the check in went smooth. What more do you need?!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

If I ever get to go back to Memphis again, I will probably stay here. The money I didn't spend on the hotel room I was only in to sleep was better spent on museums, clubs and BBQ.

The room was clean, the staff were cheerful and helpful and it was a quick walk to everything. I am a middle-aged white woman travelling alone and I felt safe walking. It's like any other city - pay attention to your surroundings and if the building under construction bugs you, walk on the other side of the street.

I never had to wait terribly long for an elevator and sometimes I was packed in but that's just a chance to meet people and find out what's going on. The windows and walls are thin which wouldn't be a problem if everyone was there for the same thing but there were families and business travelers along with the tourists and if you happen to be next door to someone who has to get up at 6am, you are probably going to be woken up. Nothing to stop you from going back to sleep, though.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Being greeted by a team of police swarming all over the lobby in the middle of a crime investigation perhaps wasn't the most salubrious of welcomes to the Memphis Econolodge, although all the flashing police lights out the front did make the hotel easy to find so, you know, swings and roundabouts.

It's always slightly unnerving to think you may be sleeping in a crime scene, particularly when that crime scene is in a town like Memphis where the streets feel like a set from CSI at the best of times.

Still, it's called the "Dowtown Econo Lodge" so really, what are you expecting? The room was HUGE and seemingly not redecorated since 1975, which added to the gritty "I'm inadvertently starring in a cop drama" feel.

The staff were very friendly, although despite repeated requests we couldn't get fresh towels for our room on the second day (perhaps whoever the police had come for had stolen them all). The free breakfast of biscuits and gravy was generous, and there was free wi-fi.

The swimming pool was an unexpected highlight - big and clean and very refreshing.

I get the feeling this is the kind of cheap hotel favoured by groups of boozed-up young men taking weekend benders to Memphis to party on Beale St - which is a 5 minute walk away - who don't much care about things like decor, or sharing their breakfast with potential criminals.

I mention this because despite the hotel having about one million rooms that were seemingly half empty, we had one such group placed in the room next to us who insisted on testing the thinness of the walls all night by yelling about how awesome they were. At about 1am I too tested the walls by banging on them and yelling "SHUT THE HELL UP", and can conclusively state that yes, they are thin enough that you can be heard on both sides.

After dinner on our first night we returned to the hotel to see the cops dragging a handcuffed man into the back of a wagon. Hope they got those towels back off him.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SystemE
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I are kicking off three months of travel with a road trip from Chicago to New Orleans. Memphis had always been on our must-see list but we were struggling to find anywhere remotely affordable and we picked this place based on the fact that it was cheap and downtown.

After reading some of these reviews we were expecting the worse, but it really wasn't that bad.

First up, location. You're less than five minutes walk from Beale Street, the trolley, and everything else you could want to see. Some people said the area isn't great but we felt safe at all times - and we were there must-see during off season when it was quiet, so I'm sure it's even more busy and popular in summer.

The room wasn't amazing but it was spacious, clean enough and had WiFi/coffee/cable. I wouldn't want to hang out in the room for long, but if you're in Memphis why are you hanging out in your room anyway??

Breakfast was fine - nothing special but pastries, cereal, bagels, juice, coffee - enough to set you up for the day.

For a cheap, central location if you're out partying in Memphis, it's fine. If you want a fancy hotel to hang out in with all mod cons, give it a miss.

Oh, and the lifts are as bad as everyone says. They take FOREVER! We were happy to walk down each morning and up to breakfast on nine, but when we did have to get them back up at the end of the day it was a loooooooong wait and then they stopped at every floor for ages too. Walk if you can!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend the hotel is in a good location you can walk to beale street and there was a few eating places down from the hotel and the hotel have a bbq place if u don't want to walk nowhere the hotel need a lil up grade but the room was clean and is a good price yes I will stay here again

• Stayed: March 2013