“I could go back... But why would I..”

East Tapas and Drinks
Ranked #824 of 1,506 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Gastropub, Fusion, Wine Bar
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: East was first conceived in the fall of 2010 to bring a refreshing change in eating and drinking to East Memphis through an inventive, seasonal small plate menu and signature drink list that blends classic cocktails with some of today's most popular spirits. Stepping through the large antiqued doors one is likely to forget they are in the suburbs of Memphis and rather think they are in a bar tucked away in the streets of Manhattan only know to locals and the lucky out of town guest who stumbles upon it. Our menu and weekly small plate specials are designed to take advantage of the freshest ingredients and are a mix of Asian, American, and Latin flavors that bring comfort and curiosity. At the bar, guests can choose from our wine list that features rotating weekly wine flights, house special cocktails, or our eclectic beer selection. On most Friday evenings, East offers live acoustic music to cap of the work week and begin your weekend the right way. Whether you live right around the corner or are in town for a night, come eat, experience, and enjoy at East.
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I had high expectations for East Tapas. So many great reviews ...

I went twice and dined alone. I tend to do this a lot especially when trying new places.

I was treated like a pariah when I said I was dinning alone ... Both times. They stuck me in the corner when I said I preferred not to sit at the bar and then practically ignored me.

I had to actually leave my table and find someone for a cup of water ... And this was not the only time I had to do this.

I'm willing to forgive inattentive service if the food is fantastic ... But the food was not.

On one visit I ordered the cold sesame noodles ... They where supposed to come with cucumbers and cilantro among other things ... They arrived covered in raw tomatoes and not a cucumber or cilantro in site.

It took nearly fifteen minutes to get someone to come to my table so that I could ask about the missing things ... After getting up twice and requesting assistance someone finally informed me they would bring my cilantro but there where no cucumbers.

Once I ordered the Dragon Tuna and I really liked it however I did not have jalapeño slices ... It was minced jalapeños.

The Truffle Mac N Cheese was ok ... Very oily and not a hint of truffle about it. And very little cheese other than the top. And truffle is one of those things you can't mistake if its present. And not worth seven bucks.

The Spicy tuna Spring Roll was ok but the avocado was so maniacal as to hardly be present and it was all kinda bland ... So much rice and little else.

The vegetable tempura was pretty unremarkable and quite a bit soggy ... To almost be unpleasant to eat.

The Shrimp stuffed eggplant was palatable but the eggplant itself was tough and I ended up just eating the stuffing that was (without the eggplant) very salty.

Had a small pizza one time ... It was ok ... Cost 8 dollars and didn't taste very wonderful. Ill just go to Hog and Hominy for a delectable $12 pizza nearly twice this ones size.

While I was there the first time there was only one other customer at the bar. And still I had to walk from my table to the var at least four times to get water refills, order a drink, help with a bad dish, etc.

Their service did not redeem the food ... Which it never really does but they could have tried. The ok to bad food did not redeem the terrible service.

I generously give them a two star rating ... I did have a few drinks from the bar (which I had to go get) that where pretty good - and strong. Oh and I liked the Tuna.

I may go back ... But I have decided I will just sit at the bar ... Other drinks ... Maybe the tuna ... And just skip the rest - and by rest I mean the service, the food, and all ...

On second thought... why would I go back at all!?!

1  Thank The_Lady_Gadiva

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The service was fine, but the reviews led me to think that this was a "best kept secret" in Memphis. They were out of the items we wanted to order; the food was okay, not great. I don't think I'll be going back.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great guacamole for an Asian tapas place. Delicious chips. Try the salmon mango sushi. Bacon wrapped olives really good.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

East represents a disingenuous attempt at higher end food which is overpriced. The shrimp stuffed eggplant was covered in sweet soy sauce, suspiciously like a Costco/Sam's frozen appetizer. The Claybrook farm sliders were pretty good, but too light on the mushroom and shallot topping, almost nonexistent. The real sham was the white pizza--definitely frozen with some added cheese before the oven. All these items run 6-8 $ each and it's ordinary bar food. The service was fine, and the waitress knew the beer well. The beer selection was limited but interesting. The wines are typical, nothing special, and they have very pricey bourbon. But wait--I suspect that this place is owned by Wang's Mandarin House next door, and that doesn't, or at least shouldn't help this place's reputation at all.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've always complained there were no atmospheric bars on the east side of Memphis, that they were relegated to midtown and downtown. Well there is finally a cool, well located loungy, small plates bar in the Park/ridgeway area! Perfect after work, after a movie at the ridgeway 4, or to start an evening out, East Tapas has a creative menu, plenty of atmosphere bordering between swank and cozy. They offer flights of wine, beer, and bourbon! Check it out and try the Bison Vodka martini and the truffle max n cheese. Yum-O!

Been to East Tapas and Drinks? Share your experiences!