Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street)
Ranked #30 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Excellent room, well appointed and very clean. I notified the front desk of a noisy ice maker in the hall outside our room and it was repaired immediately. The valet parking might seem a little pricey but it matches all other hotels in the area and it was very prompt. This hotel is right across the street from the Peabody and a cocktail while watching the Ducks march out at 5 p.m. is a must do as is a visit to the Rendevouz for Ribs which is just down the alley from the hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at our Holiday Inn Downtown Memphis. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and you had a great time in our city enjoying the famous Peabody ducks and Rendezvous ribs! Please come back and stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street)

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Wife and I stayed here to attend a concert at Fed-Ex Forum. I chose this hotel for the location which is walking distance to all the downtown area attractions. (Beale St, Fed-Ex Forum, Peabody, and numerous very good restaurants.) I had read the reviews about the renovations and was a little concerned. We found the renovations to the lobby had all most been completed with the exception of a few small things, i.e. business center, public restroom. It had no impact on our stay. Our room was nice and clean, no bathtub but the shower was fine. No complaints what so ever on the room. We had a couple of cocktails at the onsite restaurant before the concert and enjoyed ourselves before walking to Beale St and the Forum. We also had breakfast there the following morning and it was adequate. Employees we encountered were friendly and helpful. There is a charge for parking so you may want to figure that in the rate before you book. I would stay here again without hesitation. This could be a great hotel with some updating of carpets on the floors and other minor things. It is definitely in the right spot. I gave this a 3 but truthfully it is a 3.5.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at our Holiday Inn Downtown Memphis. We are happy that you and your wife enjoyed the hotel amenities and location and that our renovations did not disrupt your stay with us. I hope you had a nice time at the concert. We appreciate you staying with us.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We arrived here thinking it would be good like all the hotels in the Holiday Inn chain.
The reception area was being refurbished but I was never told this when I booked it directly on their website. Reception staff very friendly.
Our room was ok - needing a bit of TLC as it was a bit tired and dated but it was clean and that was the main thing.
We had breakfast which you coudl either have the buffet or order from the menu. We had the buffet which had a good selection of hot and cold items. The downside to breakfast was the sevice - they served the drinks then seemed to forget about us so was left trying to fit my plate on the table as they didn't clear the cereal bowls away. Seemed too busy speaking to other customers who obviously had been stayign there a while - needless to say, we didn't leave a tip as we felt the service was lacking.
Location is good- 5 minute walk from Beale Street though to visit Graceland we took the car.
Would probably stay elsewhere if we returned as we were disappointed with this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments. I apologize that you were not made aware of our hotel renovations before you arrived and for any incovenience you experienced during your stay with us. Your comments regarding the service in the restaurant will be addressed with the food and beverage manager. I appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. Across the street from the famous Peabody hotel where the ducks swim in the fountain all day and at 5:00 are escorted up to their penthouse. Cute attraction. Anyway, back to the Holiday Inn Select. The lobby was being renovated and it was a mess. Getting to the garage from your floor was impossible. You had to come back to the lobby and get another elevator. Was very confusing. The room was much smaller than I expected. Tiny bathroom, but adequate. The room was small, yet comfortable. There was a coffee maker in the room. :-)

There is a restaurant on the property, but breakfast is NOT included. There is a Denny's right next door that offers a great menu.

When looking for an ice machine the Guest Services book stated one was located on every floor. When I called the front desk because I could not find it on my floor, I was told all floors except the my floor (5th). I did not mind taking the stairs to find a machine, but they should have corrected the book.

While browsing through the book I noticed it stated parking was $12 for self park. We self parked, but was told it was $15 a night. When I asked one person about it she said no they must charge the $15 that their rates went up in February (this is now September and they have not updated the book!) So when I get the bill I was charged for Valet parking at $18 per night. I called and questioned it (got another person on the front desk) and I mentioned the Guest Services Book shows parking was $12. He was kind enough to only charge the $12 since I pointed out that it was stated in the book. :-)

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful with recommendations for attractions and restaurants. The hotel is just one block off Beale street so there was plenty to see in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. We appreciate you bringing to our attention that there is incorrect information regarding parking and ice machines in the hotel directory that was placed in your room and apologize for any inconvenience. It sounds like you had a nice time in our great city and you took advantage of our central downtown location to check out the sites. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

WE stayed here for 3 nights in September 2013. It is a clean hotel and the staff are friendly. They were doing re-decorating while we were there but it did not really affect us as we were out most of the time. The pool is nice, even though we did not have time to use it! The gym is small but adequate, we did not have time to use it either! The hotel is situated close to Beale Street which is a must on a Saturday night! Peabody's hotel is opposite and its interesting to go over and see the Peabody ducks on a morning and tea-time!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for staying with us in September. We are very happy you were not disturbed during your visit by our current renovations. Too bad you weren't able to enjoy the outside terrace pool, as it is one of my favorite features. It sounds like you visited many of our cities great attractions! Glad you enjoyed it all! Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Ended up at the Holiday Inn after our first choice hotel was fully booked, and I'm thankful it was.

The hotel is ideally situated close to Beale street for food, drink and enjoyable evening entertainment. Sun Studios (another great place) is about 6 blocks away, but it's probably easier to jump a cab (although we walked). Graceland is about a 20 minute drive.

We stayed in a suite and although starting to look a little dated (decor wise), was clean and comfortable. We were fortunate to have the outdoor hotel pool to ourselves during our stay, and it was a nice place to chill out with some beers in the impressive Memphis heat.

The staff were very friendly and efficient and gave some good advice on how to get around the downtown area. The on-site parking wasn't too badly priced and although the cost of room is a bit more than I would have preferred to pay it was still an excellent choice for a Memphis stop.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience regarding our hotel and staff. It sounds like you enjoyed our downtown location being close to the attractions and you got to the enjoy our outdoor terrace pool, one of my favorite features. Hopefully, we are your first choice when returning to Memphis! Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Booked here as last chance (other usual close Hotel was full).
Old and bad maintained rooms, not perfect cleaning, high cost and after the first night the bed was not done the day after.
Breakfast not included: possibility to have in the the close bar but low level of quality...
And worse, personnel do not seems to have care of the complaints.
I will never go there again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank apaolo67
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with our staff. Our hotel is a full service hotel and offers many breakfast options. Did you bring your concerns to a manager? If so, I feel confident your issues would have been resolved quickly to your satisfaction. Thank you for staying with us.